Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tuning idea, oar maybe knot.

rizzo9247

A thought whilst riding on the train this morning:

I'll cut right to the chase. We have all seen by now Gibson's automatic tuning guitar. I was thinking about if we have ever seen/could ever see a tuning amp, or stompbox. I am asking if it is possible to voice different tunings through an amp/pedal.

For example, I am playing my standard tuned bass and need to tune down for the next song. What if there is an amp/pedal to voice your guitar/bass as if it was tuned down a 1/2 step, full step, etc, while never touching a tuning peg? Would it sound like crap? Can this be done?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
a transposer like the ones on keyboards??? You are just lazy Rizzo, get yourself a fretless and you will always be out of tune :D

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

I've got an older ART Nightbass effects unit, and I can do that to some extent. I'm limited by how far away I can go (like 1 1/2 steps), and yes, it does sound quite crappy. At least with my unit it does. It's just pitch control.
A stiffy somewhere in the city sewer system...

I may be mistaken, but I think the Line 6 guitars and basses can do this...

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I may be mistaken, but I think the Line 6 guitars and basses can do this...

You're a Line 6. And I believe you are correct, sir.

There are all kinds of pitch transposers out there that can do this. Every one of them that I've ever heard sound weird immediately or start to sound really "interesting" after 1 full step. The Eventide harmonizers are the best at doing this that I've heard. But why would you want to spend $2000+ on a piece of technical wizardry when you could just twist a few tuning pegs.

You're a twisted tuning peg.

And those harmonizers will apply to the entire instrument, not just one string (or two), so you can't make it do "drop-d" or any other specialized tunings that way.

I agree with Bump--retuning manually is a simpler move. Or just switch to another, differently tuned bass onstage. Too many pitch-shifty gizmos in the signal chain can make your version of "Mustang Sally" mutate into something that'd even frighten Varese.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

The V-bass will change tunings (not the strings, but the sound that comes out of the amp).

The Line 6 bass will do a twelve string bass, I'm not sure about other tunings. The guitars have more tuning options.

I haven't seen either the V-bass or the Line 6 bass for sale anywhere in a long time. Do they still make them?

Alright if you must know... ;)

My current band's set list is 22 songs, we play 18 standard tuned and 4 tuned down a whole step. I am using my Peavey Scorpio (4 string) for the standard songs and my Stingray5 for the down-tuned stuff. I love my Stingray and would like to keep it for the standard stuff but I need the low A for only 1 song, or otherwise I would down tune the 4 string; so in essence I am using a superior instrument(IMO) for a fraction of the setlist. So I was thinking, do I just have to live with this for now? (or get another 5? I was thinking something inexpensive, maybe the peach TL OLP MM?)

Why don't you just learn a different fingering and make use of the 5th string??

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

Why don't you just learn a different fingering and make use of the 5th string??

I've tried a few different positions (Yeah baby!) and even tried playing the octave on the A string, it just doesn't fit. The song is Metallica's Sad But True, so the lower the note, the better.

Why doesn't it work Rizzo, I have a 5er and bought it because of songs like that. Can you elaborate please?

Well, it could be played in BEAD, but it is rather awkward jumping all over the neck. Even though it's a fun song to play, I would rather just drop it from the set, but these guys are adamant on playing it, so the dude abides.

Ok problem sorted buy a new bass, say a 4 string version of yours and tune it down, or just buy one with the hipshot and sell all your other basses. :D

Just a general FYI, I had a Line 6 5 string, and I couldn't find an option for setting up alternate tunings. It is possible to do that with the guitars, but not the basses, apparently.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

The Fender VG Strat and Line 6 guitars can do that. I don't know of any basses. You need individual pickups for each string.

I've been lusting after some of those Hipshot detuner things myself.

Here's a tip: Try to eat everything. You'd be surprised how much is edible.

Ya could just buy a two head bass. Tune one high (I'd go with the lower one) and one tuned lower (somehow the higher one just makes sense for this)...

Or maybe an 8 string bass. Tune every other string dropped...

Just think of all the tuning possiblities...

;>)

Bass, the final frontier...

http://www.myspace.com/johnnyandtheboomers

Archived