Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Some classical stuff I've been working on.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The single guitar parts are the strongest, from a compositional perspective. The multi-tracked sections seem to be the thinnest - it feels like you leaned too hard on some "gee-whiz" techniques like the trem picking during those passages, instead of concentrating on developing the actual song harmonically and melodically.

Thanks for listening!

I'm not quite sure what you mean by thinnest, though, could you elaborate?

Now, there are two sections of trem picking.. on the starts about 9 seconds in, and one at the end.. to me trem picking has always been a way of artificially generating sustain, and I tried to use it to fatten up a line while maintaining melody, which is why I'm a little confused.

Once again, thanks for listening, and your criticism is much appreciated.

Ok, interesting.

Just to be clear, we're talking about the sections 0:08 till 0:14 and and 0:48 until 1:05? I'm concerned because I had a very opposite impression of what I was doing there, from a compositional perspective.

First, let me applaud your skills overall.

Everyone has their own perspective & goals for a composition, of course, but to me the accompaniment starting about :14 seemed too staccato. Similar parts just before that & later, in the second half, where you sustained the last 1/4 note each measure were less distracting...to me, at least...& that staccato effect worked better under the "duet" section starting about :20.

The tempo may make sustained/tenuto playing more difficult (it also seems to be a bit rushed in a couple spots) but since you're already multi-tracking, maybe you'd consider making that a multi-guitar part with the chords divided & alternated...

I enjoyed the intro, with it's "almost-too-many-notes" runs & also the dynamics of the tremolo backing in the second part but my fave parts were the ending of the first part, the "searching" single-note part that followed & esp. the ending to that section.

It quite reminded me of a particular composer, though I don't suspect you of copying the part.

Nice work.

d=halfnote

• 1 month later...

Archived