Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RD700GX.Still loving the keyboard action

Are all you RD700gx owners still in love with the action on this keyboard? I got a chance to try out a Kurzweil PC3x for awhile. I began to feel disappointed in the keyboard feel after a while. I can only say it became very tiring on my hands. The action began to feel mushy to my fingers. So now I am back to considering the RD700GX again.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
take the sound of the PC3X piano, then take the action of the RD700GX and finally take the wooden keys from MP8 II - combine them into one keyboard and you'll live happily ever after... :cool:
♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

I am still loving the action, and what's more, also the sound. I played a gig yesterday at a large stately home and it was so much hassle to get gear in and the space allocated to me so small that I decided to try just one JBL EON10 and the Expressive Mono.

Was it ideal? No. Did it hold it's own? Definitely. The mono sounds might just be the most impressive on any digital piano available right now, IMO.

Two things have become self-evident in the time I've owned the GX.

Firstly, the patches "out of the box" won't impress everyone, but the amount of control and tweaking available in the instrument means that given a little time, most of us can arrive at a great sound for us.

The second thing is that differing acoustic environments and amplification have a profound effect on the tweaks necessary to optimise the piano sound in any given situation and sometimes, even on which of the piano samples you choose to go with. I have now used Expressive, Superior and Ultimate in different situations to great effect.

The EPs remain unsatisfactory for me, but that's probably because I haven't had a great deal of time to do much tweaking of those.

Yamaha: P515, CP88, Genos 1, HX1

the Rd700GX is a no-brainer

I am more biased than most since I also owned the Rd700, then the SX

I think Roland is the leader in this category. The GX is tops

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I can never resist the opportnity to chime in about playing my GX - - this time I'm going to point out a lot of irony -

First - I love the action, (I think) - but I really don't think about it at all when playing. That actually says a lot about the action, doesn't it? I do talk about the action a lot, though - - musicians in my city know NOT to get me talking about it!!!

Second - on gigs, I'm playing WAY fewer notes. The sound is so awesome, I think when playing I let the sounds "speak for themselves" a little bit more. (??) Again, I don't think about it while playing, but this is almost certainly a good thing.

(I did a LH bass gig last night - I'll repeat one tip here - the fingered bass patch in the GM sounds might be a little less boomy and deep than the regular GX fingered bass patch for you - check it out.)

Firstly, the patches "out of the box" won't impress everyone, but the amount of control and tweaking available in the instrument means that given a little time, most of us can arrive at a great sound for us.

+1. :thu:

The 4 band EQ is only what´s on the surface. Digging deeper into the menues possible adjustments vary from stereo width, changing dynamics across the keyboard range, phase shifting between the channels to damper resonance, key off noise and so on.

Tweaking is especially necessary for the EPs.

The EPs remain unsatisfactory for me, but that's probably because I haven't had a great deal of time to do much tweaking of those.

I bet that´s the reason why you don´t like them yet. The EPs have even (much) more possible designs and tweaks than the APs.

I have only fiddled with the settings for about half an hour or so and have come up with a sound I am happy with. The amp simulations make the biggest difference here(my preferred is the Dyno amp. It makes the sound much more funky at once), then you have the bar angle, pick up distance, speaker sim, bell-character and so on. I bet if you spend some time in the menue, you´ll design an EP sound you can be happy with.

I have played only in a few occasions on a real rhodes piano, but I have owned a Nord stage for almost 2 years and I think the EPs on the GX can be made to be at the same level.

I sold the Stage to get the GX and I am very happy with the switch. Biggest plus is the keybed. (So I finally managed to get back to the original topic :) )

Archived