Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Geddy's signature bass getting a run for its money?

rizzo9247

I'm not sure how many of you have seen the new Fender 70's Jazz bass.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-70s-Jazz-Bass?sku=519790

Very smooth looking, I wonder how they sound. I am assuming they are being made in Mexico, having a $699 price tag. . Even though there is no vintage US pickups and badass bridge, these new basses might find their niche. The sunburst one looks pretty sweet

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't mind one in a fretless version, especially a 3-tone. Still one of my favorite finishes on any instrument.

[Carvin] XB76WF - All Walnut 6-string fretless

[schecter] Stiletto Studio 5 Fretless | Stiletto Elite 5

[Ampeg] SVT3-Pro | SVT-410HLF

I'd say that is definitely worth a look. (Or definately, if you swing that way.)

The MIM stuff has really taken a leap forward lately, as far as I can see. It seemed to me that earlier MIM Jazz Basses, while nice players, never really delivered that classic "back pickup" sound. With this one, that's precisely the vibe they set out to nail, at least according to the verbiage. It'd be worth while to see if they got it.

Anyway, it's a looker! I think I'd have to go with the sunburst on that one, but neither finish could go wrong.

"Standard Vintage Alnico Magnet Jazz Bass Single-coil pickups"

I don't know what those are if not the plain-janes that come in American Standards. I like what comes equipped in the Geddy Lee bass better: Custom Shop Vintage pickups. Hotter and in my opinion possessing greater tone than the stock pups on a MIAS.

Also, no Badass, but that's iffy with regards to necessity.

If this bass is MIJ, I'd consider it a REALLY hot item. While MIM has really picked up recently, MIJ is always solid.

No.

The Benloy bass is still the best bass for less than $1000 money can buy. Ever. Period.

Though that one does look interesting.

I'm going to go downstairs and watch The Dude now. Because he abides. And so do I.

The sunburst one is a dead-ringer for my '76, although mine has been modded (Badass II bridge, custom brass nut, tortoiseshell pickguard, chrome knobs, straplocks).
"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

I'd guess the Jaguar is the one currently giving the Geddy a run for it's money. Both made in japan and priced similarly. Both wildly popular as far as I can tell.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

One difference is the fretboard wood. The other is that this bass has "real" inlays - the BenLoy has stickers under the finish.

Odd that it doesn't say where it's made...maybe it's not Mexico?

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived