Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favourite piano riffs

Kayvon

Stepay, you've named some good ones there. Superstition is one of the best keyboard ones. Oyo como va is a great clave rhythm, no melodic content needed to work! Raspberry Beret is brilliant but does that qualify as a keyboard riff? One in a similar vein I guess would be Upside Down by Diana Ross, good rhythmic strings.

With regard to Raspberry Beret, I guess it depends on how that repetitive string part is played. If keyboards then it fits. If not then not. Like I said, some are better than others.

Feelin' Alright by Joe Cocker should fit the bill too.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

#1= intro to "Money" by Berry Gordy

#2= intro to "Hey Bulldog" by John Lennon/Beatles

distant #3= intro to "Come Together" by Paul McCartney for a John Lennon/Beatles song

d=halfnote

Stepay, you've named some good ones there. Superstition is one of the best keyboard ones. Oyo como va is a great clave rhythm, no melodic content needed to work! Raspberry Beret is brilliant but does that qualify as a keyboard riff? One in a similar vein I guess would be Upside Down by Diana Ross, good rhythmic strings.

With regard to Raspberry Beret, I guess it depends on how that repetitive string part is played. If keyboards then it fits. If not then not. Like I said, some are better than others.

Only reason I mentioned that one Stepay was because I know alot of riffs could be played on keyboards but I was looking for ones that sit best with keys. I thought i'd start a thread and get listening to see if I could get to thinking a little more in those terms for some of the more beat driven stuff I'm starting to produce.

Ok, I thought of another great one, Summer in the City by Quincy Jones (orig by Loving Spoonful). Now that is one tasty Hammond sound and when it got mixed with that breakbeat for the Pharcyde track 'She keeps on passing me by', well you know it's gonna be one of the all time great hip-hop tracks.

Right then, where's Napster, i've got some listening to do! Any more for any more in a funk/soul/jazz/latin/fusion vein?

#1= intro to "Money" by Berry Gordy

Wow, I feel like a complete musical dunce now after it took me an inordinate amount of time to co-ordinate that riff. :cry:

Left hand comping and right hand soloing is definitely not the best way to learn the piano. My left hand is completely weak apart from playing octaves or l/h chords and my hand to hand independance/co-ordination is so poor.

"Dixie Chicken" Live version from Little Feat's Waiting for Columbus.

"Beat Me Daddy, Eight to the Bar" by Commander Cody

"Mess Around" by Ray Charles, or Jools Holland's cover.

"Roll Away the Stone" Leon Russell

"I Can't Decide" Scissor Sisters

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

Archived