Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Damn... Stopped at the Carvin factory today

PBBPaul

I get to Southern California periodically and try to stop at Carvin if I'm in the area. I was in San Diego today with some time to kill and stopped in.

I played their new SH550 model and damn! They've got a winner in this one. I've always found Carvins to be nearly perfectly built but generally sterile in tone. This guitar is as well-built as any and sounds fantastic. I wish I could justify the 2 grand...

2guitars-sh550-1.jpg

I also played the C980T12 and renewed my lust for one. Great guitar for the money.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was there about a month ago and I would concur with you on the SH550. I personally like the Contour 66 myself, but I'd gladly take one of each! :thu: Did you play a Holdsworth model, the one with the chambered body? That thing sounds great even unplugged.

I have a Carvin amp and love it. Great gear and great prices.

Did you grab a copy of their free DVD? If you didn't you can have one sent to you from their website. Its pretty cool.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

I was there about a month ago and I would concur with you on the SH550. I personally like the Contour 66 myself, but I'd gladly take one of each! :thu: Did you play a Holdsworth model, the one with the chambered body? That thing sounds great even unplugged.

I have a Carvin amp and love it. Great gear and great prices.

Did you grab a copy of their free DVD? If you didn't you can have one sent to you from their website. Its pretty cool.

I've played the Holdsworth before. I liked it a lot but still wasn't crazy about the tone. The SH550 seems to have more - I dunno - "bloom" to it. I was also very impressed with the amount of sustain.

I ordered a DVD to be sent to me.

Guitar Slinger, sorry to let you down, but Carvin actually has a store at the factory. When I went there I was hoping that they had factory tours, but they don't. But still, it was worth the trip (I even went there twice over the course of 3 days :thu: )even tho the store was smaller than I expected it to be. But it was jam packed with stuff. I bought a cover for my amp, and it was even cheaper there than in the catalog. :thu:

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

Guitar Slinger, sorry to let you down, but Carvin actually has a store at the factory. When I went there I was hoping that they had factory tours, but they don't. But still, it was worth the trip (I even went there twice over the course of 3 days :thu: )even tho the store was smaller than I expected it to be. But it was jam packed with stuff. I bought a cover for my amp, and it was even cheaper there than in the catalog. :thu:

The DVD is a great "tour".

PBBPaul, I have been touting the merits of the C980T-12 for years. I think folks just don't believe me... Biggest steal in guitardom so far as I am concerned...

Hey Boggs!

I remember that you have one of these. It really is an excellent guitar for the money. Especially since it's on sale this month. I don't know why they're not better recognized. I don't do any acoustic gigs these days so I can't justify buying one. That doesn't stop my lust for one though. :)

Have you tried any of their other 6-string acoustics? Do they compare favorably to Seagulls, the lower-level Martins?

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Have you tried any of their other 6-string acoustics? Do they compare favorably to Seagulls, the lower-level Martins?

I don't know much about Seagulls. I know I've played them before but they must not have made much of an impression. I believe that the Carvin acoustics are far better for the money than equivalent Martins. YMMV.

Carvin is one of the most under-rated guitars out there. I think they are a great value and an excellent guitar. Cool that you got to tour the factory!!! ROCK ON!!!

I didn't get to tour the factory. I just went to the factory store. I agree with their being underrated though. Their construction quality is flawless. I'm not crazy about the tone of most of their electrics though.

Check this out: http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f124/Millo_77/koa_SH550.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f124/Millo_77/koa_SH550_2.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f124/Millo_77/koa_SH550_3.jpg

Not mine, from a guy at the Carvin forum. I kept the pics to show them to Carvin to use as a model in case I decide I want one in the not-too-near future, but mine would have to have two volume pots.

My MySpace Space

here's an old pic of mine, a solidbody from a kit:

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f124/Millo_77/057b1aef.jpg

Those pickups aren't there anymore, plus there's another knob added (two volume pots).

My MySpace Space

I definitely have always wanted the Holdsworth model Carvin, but was hesitant to order one without having a chance to play it and hear it through a good amp.

Thanks for the reviews, guys!

Ok I'll chime in after lurking for a few days on this thread.

I have never played a Holdworth but I do have 2 CT's, A CT6M and a CT3M, the 3 being my absolute favorite, at least at this point in time :laugh:. Point being is that I would pretty much guarantee you will be happy with the instrument if you were to order. Just my 2 cents.

What can this strange device be?

When I touch it, it gives forth a sound

It's got wires that vibrate, and give music

What can this thing be that I found?

I have a Holdsworth Fatboy, single pickup version. It's as resonant as you would expect from a fully hollow guitar. Some people find the pickup on the bright side. A bigger potential concern is that the pickup is unpotted. Some people address this by replacing the pickup and the 500k pots with 250k-280k pots.

The guitar is a little neck heavy because of the weight of the neck. You can compensate a little by using the bottom strap pin (not the top) on the back side. I'll eventually try replacing the tuners with Hipshot Junior Lites or something of similarly light weight.

It's not my main guitar but I keep it around because it can do that one type of lead sound really well.

Archived