Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: RIP Harvey Korman

Jode

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RIP.

He brought a lot of laughter to the world. Or at the very least to me. I absolutely loved his work with Mel Brooks as well as with his frequent partner Tim Conway.

In celebration of Harvey, here's the Dentist Sketch from The Carol Burnett Show. He was never funnier than when he was trying (and failing miserably) to play the straight man.

Push the button Frank.

Absolutely one of the funniest. Excellent memories of him laughing during skits which made them even funnier.
"The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know" by Me

"De MONAY......... De MONAY!"

Sniff.

Do not be deceived by, nor take lightly, this particular bit of musicianship one simply describes as "bass". - Lowell George

"The music moves me, it just moves me ugly." William H. Macy in "Wild Hogs"

Remember watching him with the Tim Conway. Some skits you could literally see the tears streaming from his eyes trying not to laugh and Tim would start to imporve. Live sketch comedy at its finest. RIP.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Raise your hand if you grew up on Carol Burnett reruns on the late afternoon TBS lineup, like I did. They absolutely do not make them like they used to.

Here's the dentist skit. Classic.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Raise your hand if you grew up on Carol Burnett reruns on the late afternoon TBS lineup, like I did. They absolutely do not make them like they used to.

Reruns, my axe! I watched them the first time around on network TV off the air... the way God intended it.

edit: Burnett ran 1967-1977 so I was watching reruns, at least after I was 5.

- Matt W.

Reruns, my axe! I watched them the first time around on network TV off the air... the way God intended it.

edit: Burnett ran 1967-1977 so I was watching reruns, at least after I was 5.

1967-1977 I was 14 to 24. I probably even got some jokes that you didn't get...

RIP, Harvey.

It's Hedley!

:)

One of the best movies ever!

So sad to see him go...

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Gotta do it. The Harvey Korman cavalcade of hits keeps coming.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

I don't see it happening, but I wish someone would revive the classic sketch comedy/variety show like Carol Burnett.

Updated, I think it could be pretty entertaining.

As for Harvey Korman, he made me laugh. I think that's the highest praise anyone can give him.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

I don't see it happening, but I wish someone would revive the classic sketch comedy/variety show like Carol Burnett.

I, personally, would love it. Good, clean entertainment that I could watch with my kids without feeling uncomfortable at all the inappropriate references.

I nominate Garth Brooks.

Or Tom Capasso.

Push the button Frank.

*raises hand*

A stiffy somewhere in the city sewer system...

I remember watching Carol Burnett in syndication in the 70's and 80's. And Harvey Korman was a great source of laughter there and in the Mel Brooks movies. Giving the gift of laughter to people is a wonderful talent. Thanks Harvey...even if you were part of the Star Wars Holiday Special.

http://static.flickr.com/135/321820411_65050e4919.jpg

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Man...I loved that guy...I grew up watching the Carol Burnett Show with my mom and dad and sister - it was amazing because it made us all laugh. My favorite skit EVER was the soap opera spoof "As The Stomach Turns"...totally brilliant.

RIP Harvey...you were a damn funny dude...

My doctor says I'm A.D.D. - I just like to think of it as "multi-tasking"...

Ibanez SR-505

Ibanez SRX-595 (sold...)

Peavey Tour 700

Hartke 8x10

Boss GT-8 multi-effects board

First, RIP Harvey. He made lots of appearances all over TV back in the day, and you knew something funny was coming as soon as he walked on.

Thanks for the vote Ken (you can take your tongue out of your cheek now...)

Those of us old enough to remember the classic sketch variety have to face up to a few facts. It wasn't always funny, and the same people were over-booked doing the same thing. And the "variety" was an attempt at hitting all genres - just look at the Ed Sullivan DVDs - they packaged them in a "non-variety" way. While I miss the "variety" aspect (I was OK with seeing the Byrds one week, Liza Minelli next, then Andy Williams), sometimes it went too far (lost it on the opera, or 12th rendition of Oklahoma).

Having warbled on like that, Saturday Night Live is one current incarnation of the "sketch/variety" format, and I haven't watched it for years. I wish I could say it is funny and I'm just old, but I don't see my kids watching it either...

Anyway, RIP again Harvey.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived