Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best tool in your home studio.......

One of the best tools I have in my little home studio are my patchbays. They have saved me time and time again, and have made "work" more fun and efficient. I have two patchbays now, though I would have never thought I needed another, it really has been wonderful. Another "tool" that I use everyday in the studio are these free standing insulated office dividers. Another cool item that I don't think I could live without. Lastly, but not at all least are my doghouses for amps. I built them myself, and got ideas off the internet, and I wrote up a crude plan and let the sawdust fly! The only thing I wish I had done differently when I built my studio (in my garage), was make a drum room/semi-enclosure. We plan on building that soon, when I have the time.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mine is a little piece of foam. My room has hardwood floors and about 50% of the people I record are foot-tappers. I put the foam under their feet and all is good. "Tappa tappa tapppa" - Little Debbie -David R.
-David R.

Hey STRAT0124, [b]Alesis Masterlink[/b]. Don't know what I did before it, don't want to know. Don't want to work without it. Funny it is the least used piece of gear but damn that unit really makes life easy when it comes to the mixdown part of recording. Cheers. This message has been edited by Bonafide on 08-02-2001 at 12:52 PM

my console, Tascam M3500 24 ch, 24 tape returns, 8 buss. its not top of the line and it doesnt have automation or anything fancy like that. its just a straight-forward easy to use console. everything in my studio is hooked into this thing in one way or another. it may not be the best sounding console, but it does sound good. the only thing bad about it is that the headphone amp is noisy, other than that, its as quiet as a church mouse. i would say my new tc electronic m-one is my best tool but i havent really played with it a whole lot yet, lets just say its my newest tool in my studio. peace, SactoG
0096 2251 2110 8105

[quote]Originally posted by sactog: [b]my console, Tascam M3500...[/b][/quote] Got the same baby...no complaints!!! For fader/mute automation...(4) 8 channel Niche boxes and any MIDI controller/sequencer...smooth.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

[quote]Originally posted by dxr@iname.com: [b]"Tappa tappa tapppa" - Little Debbie[/b][/quote] ROTFLMAO. I see we have another Simpson's fan in the house ;-). "I'm ever so pissed". My favorite piece of gear in my studio is my PC. 2nd favorite is my Mackie 1402 VLZ Pro. -Dylan

[quote]Originally posted by MusicMan: [b]It was little Vicky...[/b][/quote] [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gif[/img] D'oh!! [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/eek.gif[/img] Mmmmmm. Snack cakes... -Homer Jay
-David R.

This is a hard one to answer, but as of the past month or so, I have gone back to my old [url=http://www.gymusic.com/RCA77dx2_3.jpg]RCA 77DX[/url] . I purchased it in 1970. I'm the second owner. Of all my microphone choices, there's something unique about the sound of ribbon mics for vocal recording. They seem to sit very nicely in any mix with little or no processing.

GY

my house! seriously. i live with other students, we have cable internet distributed via a server to each computer, i was able to convert half the garage into a drum room and my studio upstairs. plus we are near a very busy road so all the houses are sound-proofed. i can be as loud as i want with no need for expensive sound proofing. also i love my nice and simple DELTA44 audio card.

Somewhere up on my list has to be my light dimmers. I got ones that don't buzz, and I have all wall sconces and recessed lighting in my room. Being able to turn it down totally changes the vibe in my studio. It changes everything about a project, and changes critical listening and relaxation. I really don't like mine, but someone's gotta bring up their chair...

[quote]Originally posted by Nika: [b]Somewhere up on my list has to be my light dimmers. I got ones that don't buzz, and I have all wall sconces and recessed lighting in my room. [/b][/quote] Where the hell did you get light dimmers that don't buzz? And what kinda wall sconces and where'd you get them? --Lee

Lee, My papa's an electrician. Would you like to know? I can ask where he got them. I remember they weren't cheap, though. He shipped them to me I think. And the sconces were from Lowe's. They have a limited selection, but they had all I was looking for so I'm fine. Just don't put a sconce in the back of the room - reflects off of the computer monitor. I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more info. Nika.

Yep, all my fixtures, switches, and receptacles in my little studio are high end. I wired the room myself. Even with good components it's easy to still get a noisy line, most of which is the power companies dirty power comin in. I bought three power conditioners that filter interference and also keep a constant 115, anywhere in the capture range (really nice in brown out prone Virginia Beach). Those dimmers that you see in high end studios and in radio stations can go for $1500.00 or so, the reason I don't have a dimmer. I put some black lights up, and I have candles for mood enhancement. I know a guy who has all his stage lights set up in his studio.....really motivates a live show oriented band. I was afraid that my original post would gather the replies like "The best tool in my studio is my ears!!!"....which may be true, but I was trying to steer toward stuff that you normally don't think about and sorta take for granted because they are always there, doing a job for ya. Back to residential wiring.....anybody who has an amp that uses EL84's will tell ya that dirty power and/or faulty grounds will show up big time with those amps. That sensitivity thang. Speaking of tools........anybody use audio snakes? Indispensible to me, especially when your studio is in your HOUSE! Nothing like putting a bass rig in a bedroom all miked up.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Archived