Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

individual outs per pole piece

Hi Does anyone have any information on pickups (preferable single coil/humbucker) that have individual output leads per pole piece? I remember there was a model of guitar by Steve Ripley in the 80s that used one- it had pan pots per polepiece and a stereo jack. I remember an ad with Eddie Van Halen mugging with the guitar. I'm on a quest! I would really like to have one. I've made some inquiries to some custom pickup winders but they all decline to attempt such a pickup. Any one? Thanks Daf

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just read yesterday, and I can't remember, but I'll get back. Someone was wiring up two pickups, one pickup to to the tip and one pickup to the ring.A trs jack wired to a sort of fader between the two?(stereo?) Sounds funky let me backtrack....

Hi... I doo believe that the GK2a (that's Roland's hexaphonic pickup) has a veeeeery low output, y'know nad wasn't really designed with Sound in mind. I remember that GOding uses a "fanout" stereo pickup on certain guitars. I remember that "back then" (man I *am* getting old) both Schecter as well as Bartolini were involved with this kind of weird science... ;) G'luck Paul

JingleJungle

...Hoobiefreak

Roland synth pickups are pretty thin by themselves.... Hmm. You know, I think one of the companies that makes the retrofit piezo tremelo electric guitar bridges has one that's got discrete outputs, maybe Fishman?

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Steve Ripley's pickup not only had 6 pickups in one, it sported pan pots for each string and an optional 6 channel, onboard distortion. By using separate channels for distorting each string, you could achieve similar sound to Brian May's multi tracked harmony guitar parts, on one instrument. The GK-2 with a VG-8 or VG-88 will do most anything you want out of a hex pickup except give decent timbre straight to an amp or direct hookup.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived