Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

how stupid is an eSub!?!

[quote]Originally posted by alphajerk: [b]yeah, online rags... what use would i have for that? what is everyone going to read on the john?[/b][/quote] WHAT? You don't have a computer hooked up in your john? GET WOTH THE TIMES AJ! :D :p :rolleyes: Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html pokeefe777@msn.com

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks to everyone for defending SOS :) [quote]Originally posted by Super 8: [b] I would be willing to subscribe for say $15 - $20 a year to have my magazines delivered online. It would do away with the expense of having it printed and mailed to me. [snip] Just send me an email when the new issue is released, and give me access to all of the back issues 24/7 for the duration of my subscription and I'll be happy.[/b][/quote] Super 8, you have just described the Sound On Sound eSub electronic subscription. The only variant being the current price. The 12 month eSub costs $36 US dollars. Admittedly, more than you have stated you are willing to pay, but are you comparing like for like? SOS magazine contains far more editorial pages (and far more words) than most other music/recording titles around the globe, and thus probably equates pro-rata to a similar value. Incidentally, SOS's web site has no advertising on it (deliberately), and our International edition contains no advertising (deliberately) to allow us to deliver a 144-page paper magazine that is almost pure editorial (with a few "house" ads). The advertising income we accrue represents less than half of our company's turnover -- the majority of our money comes from cover sales and subscriptions income, plus money derived from selling mail order books/videos/archive article CDROMs etc. I'll go back to lurking now and see what Alphajerk has to say next. cheers, Ian Gilby SOS Publisher Cambridge, England.

Publisher

www.sound-on-sound.com

http://sound-on-sound2.infopop.net

[quote]Originally posted by Ian Gilby, SOS Publisher: [b]SOS magazine contains far more editorial pages (and far more words) than most other music/recording titles around the globe, and thus probably equates pro-rata to a similar value.[/b][/quote] Thanks for pointing this out...most rags can be digested in 30 mins or less...SOS provides enough reading material to make the $60/yr. price seem like a bargain to me. Then again, this is true in general when comparing and contrasting the British and American magazine market, IMHO.
Go tell someone you love that you love them.

well, it seems i no longer get EQ... i got the new one free today in another "package" and consumed it in less than 15 minutes. didnt really find much of interest. the DP# review wasnt much better than the audiomedia review. the kick drum interview provided no information that isnt more than available everywhere else. elton john bores me, so does macy gray. has my brain reached saturation? i think quite possibly. must be time to find a new interest i suppose [there is always video]. i find that i dont care to read about gear anymore... although details on the new fairlight dream console was nice in audiomedia this month, it i get that sub FREE [and reviews borderline on useless... if melodyne is so interesting, why not DL it and try it out? seems to me it would be much better than simply reading someone elses opinions of the product] despite all the points made, i still dont think an eSub is worth $0.000000000000000000000000001 a year.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

[quote][i]Originally posted by alphajerk:[/i] if melodyne is so interesting, why not DL it and try it out?[/quote] You read my mind! I downloaded it last Monday. Now as for trying it out, that's going to take some time. The SOS review will help me proceed more quickly though because it points out some important things missed by the manual. [quote][i]Originally posted by alphajerk:[/i] has my brain reached saturation? i think quite possibly. must be time to find a new interest i suppose [there is always video]. i find that i dont care to read about gear anymore...[/quote] I think perhaps you hit the nail on the head!

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

[quote][i]Originally posted by alphajerk:[/i] despite all the points made, i still dont think an eSub is worth $0.000000000000000000000000001 a year.[/quote] [b]alphajerk[/b], you wouldn't pay a penny for 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years of an eSub? Never mind that you'll only live for a small fraction of that time, the Earth won't even be around that long! :D P.S. I'm sure you're talking about the principle of the thing. I'm just having a little fun! ;) [ 11-16-2001: Message edited by: soapbox ]

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Melodyne is like crack...stealing Miles’ riffs from the Complete Silent Way sessions and twisting them to fit my breakbeats has been quite fun. But boy oh boy does it behave like a 1.0 release...screen glitches, a little weirdness, no undo...
Go tell someone you love that you love them.

Archived