Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fret Click On Hammer-Ons

As I may have mentioned at some point :rolleyes: , I play ABG with phosphor bronze strings. The sound is rather... bright. :D

NOW... one thing I really like doing is playing stuff on the G string while hammering out a count on the lower strings with my ring-finger. And that gives off quite a loud clicking sound.

Normally, I haven't minded because it sort of counts as an extra, percussive effect but today I've been trying to get rid of the clicking and find that I can't.

Any suggestions? (BTW: I have no interest in playing fretless unless someone ships me one! ;) ) I've tried hammering softer but then the sound goes mushy. I've tried holding down the hammered string for longer, but tempo is tempo and sometimes one can't do that.

Any other ways of dampening down the fret-click?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmm, I just was fiddling around with hammering on the lower strings, and the clickety-clack not only comes from the fret your playing (obviously), but also the frets below and above. Try muting the string before the hammer-on. For example, if your hammering the 7th fret on the D string with you ring, try to mute the 6th fret on the D with your middle, and play a little softer not to rattle the 8th fret. That's all I got....

For example, if your hammering the 7th fret on the D string with you ring, try to mute the 6th fret on the D with your middle, and play a little softer not to rattle the 8th fret. That's all I got....

Well, as Getz pointed out, physics MAY play a part on this one.

Still, there's a weekend just FULL of rainy afternoons coming up and they're ideal for trying out your idea of muting the previous fret. It sounds like a pretty interesting exercise anyway. :thu:

Thanks for the replies, guys! :D

The only way I can see to reduce this acoustically is a fret swap utilizing bologna instead of normal fretwire. No need to thank me, I'm here to help.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

I know this song probably seems overblown, but "Schism" (Tool) is a great song and has a bass line that, for a long time when I was first learning bass, I couldn't play without hearing an initial *SMACK* every time I came down on the m7 from the open D of the main bass figure. Over time I just learned to pay a LOT of attention to finesse and these days my muscle memory gets it right on that choon. (Somewhat hilariously, and somewhat awesomely, my band suddenly wants to cover that song.)

It sounds like what you're doing, though, is a wee bit harder in terms of running two things at once. You're hammering with your fretting hand ring finger right? I don't know, I have no experience with ABG/phosphor, but I bet with long periods of practice you might be able to finesse it. Make sure your bass is well setup. Once you figure this out, who knows, you might have invented a whole new technique and we'll be seeing you published in BP.

You could try turning down the treble on your bass, amp or both. If you can focus on that particular frequency with EQ (when recording especially) you can minimize just that sound's range and leave the rest alone.

I'd guess the click is up in the 5000-8000HZ range.

Bass is key.

----

Warmoth custom 4 string

* Quilted maple top/mahogany

* Maple neck, ebony board

* Audere preamp; Lindy Fralin pickups

* Badass bridge; Hipshot tuners.

Thx Joe Mergens at Mojotone.

You're hammering with your fretting hand ring finger right?
That's what it sounds like he's saying to me, too.

Actually it sounds more like a tapping technique. Are the other strings being played open and then hammered, as in a true hammer on? Or is the ring finger just tapping? (I'm guessing the latter from the comment on muting.)

Try another two-hand tapping technique instead of what you're doing. It may give you more control.

The method popularized by Stu Hamm's "Linus and Lucy" works well. Use your fretting hand to tap on the lower-pitched strings (typ. E and A) and your plucking hand to tap on the higher-pitched strings (typ. D and G).

I use this on "Mustang Sally" so I can cover the horn parts while still playing the bass line.

But I think I know the click you're talking about. It's also pretty common on acoustic guitars. As others have said it may just be the nature of the beast. Time to add a solid-body to your arsenal?

Oh, I know. But such dedication should not go unrewarded. I'll leave you my bottle-top collection in my will.

sweet!

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

ok, what I'm doing, basically, is trying to play stuff like this without the clicking. It's not tapping as I am keeping my LH index fixed on the G

[font:Courier New]

¦------11-¦------11-¦------13-¦------13-

¦---------¦---------¦---------¦---------

¦---------¦-0-12----¦---------¦-0-14----

¦-0-12----¦---------¦-0-14----¦---------[/font]

I've always been interested in tapping so I'll try your idea too, RBG. :thu:

Cassius: Practicing one's finesse is always handy!

Nato: I *have* an electric, but the place where we have rehearsed till now has bad earthing and the bass gives off an annoying hum (sidewinder pup and all!) The hum is not as noticeable with the piezo on the ABG.

Cheers,

Vince.

9's and 6's huh? That's a cool lick. It seems like my reference to "Schism" is spot on in terms of where the clicking is coming from, because it's that open string to 12th fret zone. Since you're stretching your fretting hand the advice I gave about practicing the finesse becomes a little harder. Still, though, I remember a big issue when I was learning that song was I would either come down on string at the perfect angle-no click-or (most of the time) I would kind of "thwack" against it and a click really resonated through the amp. My father first pointed it out to me.

Again, since your hand is being somewhat stretched it could be more difficult than I imagined, but basically, there should still be a way of getting the force of your index finger against the string with minimal click. How you press the tip of your index against the string and what part matters too. Keep experimenting!

Archived