Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

O/T MP3 player question

Wolfgangsta

OK, I'm considering buying a car stereo with an auxiliary input so that I can play my MP3 player with having to use a wireless FM modulator. I found a unit that I like that has a USB plug on the face. Can I plug my player into the USB and expect it to play? The car stereo says that it supports MP3's. My MP3 is a Creative Zen Micro. Thanks in advance for any helpful info!
As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't say for certain, but my wife bought a cheap, refurbished mini-boom-box with a USB connection on the case and I can play mp3's from flash drives and external hard drives. I wouldn't be surprised if you could access your Creative Zen from a similar input on a car stereo.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

When you plug your Zen into a PC, does it show up as an additional disk in My Computer, and if you double click it from there can you see all your MP3's as if they were on any normal hard disk? If yes, then yes probably. If it is more like an iPod that requires proprietary software and formats the files in its own unique way with peculiar file names within weird illogical file structures then probably not.

You can also get car stereo's with a 3.5mm stereo jack input, so if the USB model doesnt support your MP3 player. You could always get one of those.

Thanks for the advise, Trucks. The Zen can interface with Windows Media Player, so if I'm understanding you correctly, it will likely work. Sorry for the short response, I'm heading out the door right now to go to the Govt Mule concert. Should be a great show!

Well, we have had two alternatives. One was a car stereo that had a 3.5" jack so we simply rana cord from the MP3 player's headphone output into the stereo. Worked fine.

The other alternative was this "cassette" we bought last week from the local equivalent of Radio Shack. It's basically a cassette shaped adaptor with a plug that goes into the MP3 player's output jack. That works fine too and cost us... about USD $15 I've just seen them online for even less.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/largeimages/389856.jpg

Thanks Craig. I realized that I was asking a 'it depends' type of question. I emailed Creative this morning to see what they thought, and they told me that they haven't tested all their players, but they don't believe it will work. If I buy the stereo and it doesn't work, I can always use the auxiliary input rather than the USB plug. I my (possibly flawed) thinking, I envisioned being able to control the MP3 thru the stereo by connecting between the USB plugs. All is good either way.

Archived