Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tab and Score Maker

Hey there compos!

I wonder if anyone knew of an open-source/freeware program that scores music. Preferably by microphone.

If not, and maybe better a program that scores TABS for bass/guitar? I play in a prog/metal band and sometimes working out compositions as between bars they can be 1 or 2 bars of 5/4 then 6/8 and then 11/4. It's a nightmare.

Any help appreciated!

- BC RICH NT BEAST BASS - ARIA PRO II SB900 - ASHDOWN AMPLIFICATION - KORG, DUNLOP, DIGITECH and BOSS EFFECTS -

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not aware of any software that transcribes audio, either to standard notation or TAB.

A lot of software can easily convert MIDI to standard notation. With a hex MIDI device on your guitar you should be able to pick up chords as well as leads. (If you just use the standard jack on your guitar and go through a MIDI converter you may not be able to do chords.) This is probably the best chance you'll have of getting software to transcribe guitar for you.

Software like Finale will include TABs in a score but you have to select/define each tab symbol.

But no software is going to be able to figure out your intended time signatures. You'll still have to do that manually.

Archived