Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Re-working my gear; suggestions welcome!

Glastonbury27

Hey, folks -- first time poster here. Longtime GP subscriber (since 1994).

I am getting ready to ditch my PODxt modeler and finally finish up the pedalboard I've been slowly assembling. I play mostly classic rock and love to use delay and chorus and eBow for ambient effects.

Right now, I am playing an LP and a Strat into a Blues Jr. On the floor, I have:

Ernie Ball Vol pedal

Crybaby Wah

Boss OD-20 distortion

Danelectro Cool Cat chorus (old style, really love it).

Boss DD-5 delay

The OD-20 sucks tone horribly and I can't say I care for it anyway. Any recommendations for distortion/lead tone? Anyone want to suggest other pedals? I am interested in the new Boss tape delay modeler that GP reviewed. I am also considering using direct-bypass looping switches to get the wah and maybe some of the other boxes out of the signal path when I don't need them.

Thoughts welcome!

G.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep Tube Screamer can sound pretty good through a Blues Jr. You also might want to try some sort of Fuzz Face, you can turn up the guitar volume for higher gain leads, and then back it off for crunchier rhythm stuff.
Then you'll never hear surf music again...

Here's a cool link that has alot of history and info about

the tonal and feature differences on all of the Tube Screamers;

http://www.analogman.com/tshist.htm

FYI - They mention the TS7 Tone-Lok in passing and say it's useful with the hot feature but dismiss it as not very durable? :confused:

The real reason is that they have no resale value because they sell for $39.95 new @ Guitar Center and Analog Man is in the business of selling pedals like older Tube Screamers and the Maxon clones of Tube Screamers. ;)

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-TS7-Tubescreamer-Pedal-150286-i1124253.gc

My TS7 sounds great and I've had it for 5 years no problems, it's built like a tank and doesn't run through batteries quickly at all. The Hot switch is a great addition to a TS because it gives you much more gain and approaches some distortion instead of just overdrive. People are surprised when they see and hear it. Anyone that dismisses this pedal either has never tried it or is just a pedal snob :P

Archived