Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Direct Note Access

Bytored

You have got to check this out DIRECT NOTE ACCESS pretty scary and cool all at once. Wonder how this will effect music. It seems to me that anybody would be able to get software like this and be a not so good player and make a killer recording.

Thoughts??

What can this strange device be?

When I touch it, it gives forth a sound

It's got wires that vibrate, and give music

What can this thing be that I found?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They'll have to be able to use it live otherwise, they'll have to suffer the fate of Ashley Simpson.

Otherwise, this just diminishes true musical ability IMHO.

And isn't this sort of technology (vocals at least) already used in Hollywood for talentless people whose only appeal is their appearance?

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=810593

http://www.myspace.com/dandelavega

Mili Vanili 1.0 :D :D

Not that I'm a studio musician, but even I can see where that would save much time and dollars!

That video was pretty cool.

Still, I guess I'm just old fashioned.

I think the further we get away for the REAL creation process, the more sterile music may become.

Just my opinion.

Randy

"Just play!"

I'm loving this idea! As someone with studio-itus, The ability to fix a single note within a chord sounds really exciting! Yes, I would like to be a better guitar player and will certainly practice more, but the simple edit of a few notes does not bother me in the least.

As for composition, I'm impressed with the possibilities. I prefer real musicians making music on their instruments, but the reality is most composers do this in their heads! The process of getting sound from those compositions is when they have other musicians play their composition. How is that any different than using a sound bank to play the music instead? In performance I will always prefer live musicians for the interactions and variations brought to the performance by each person, but for writing in my own space.. well, I'd rather come up with something, then re-record it with musicians whose ability and personality show through when they perform what I've written.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Well, the demo times out after 15 minutes, adds a random tone to the recording and can not be saved. Also, it is the version, before the chords could be broken apart. I tried it on some basic solos etc, but to be honest, when you move the notes, it's obvious. It sounds like it's been digitally manipulated like the sound you get when you use WMP to change the key of a song. If the notes were fairly close together, it would bend the note up or down to the new note. Plus, on top of all of that, you can only make adjustments in half steps so if something is out of tune by less then that, you are out of luck.

Maybe the newer version will be better?

Well, the demo times out after 15 minutes, adds a random tone to the recording and can not be saved. Also, it is the version, before the chords could be broken apart. I tried it on some basic solos etc, but to be honest, when you move the notes, it's obvious. It sounds like it's been digitally manipulated like the sound you get when you use WMP to change the key of a song. If the notes were fairly close together, it would bend the note up or down to the new note. Plus, on top of all of that, you can only make adjustments in half steps so if something is out of tune by less then that, you are out of luck.

Maybe the newer version will be better?

I have always found it quiet baffling, when a company says there new product is the best thing since sliced bread, then give out a demo of the previous version...

Archived