Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT Question about Britain...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eleven is when the pubs used to open. Before the relaxation of the drinking laws. Now you can get a pint with your full cooked english.

Lager and lime is very common.

I have had orange squash in light ale.

Ale with spices and citrus fruit used to be a common drink, but not anymore.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

LMAO!! When I read the title of the thread I really didn't expect to be discussing this song. I totally dislike the song and I think the lyrics are awful. Did the fact that the car had a CD player need to be repeated quite so many times at the end of the first verse? Mine does too, but I've never felt the need to write a song about it. ;)

Oh, and that's some of the worst drumming I've ever heard on a hit single!

Now theres three of you in a band, youre like a proper band. Youre like the policemen.

The only English Lager I can think of is Carling, which is owned by Coors if I remember correctly. Does that make it American? It is horrible.

The only reason I know anything about Carling is because it is in every football pub in the New York area and because they are huge football sponsors.

I did not see Harp Lager once when I was in Ireland, but it is all over the place in New York. When I was in Ireland, everyone under 30 was drinking Budweiser. Made me want to cry.

Hey Rowbee, bet you can't name an English Lager, without the use of google.

The only one that generally springs to mind is Carling - is that not English then? I know it has no taste.

Now theres three of you in a band, youre like a proper band. Youre like the policemen.

From what I understand European Budweiser is brewed to different standards than the American swill.

Indeed, sir. I've heard tale that the American version doesn't pass the brewing standards in Europe. Plus it tastes horrid. I'm mildly curious to try the Euro-Budweiser to see if it is actually consumable.

MMMmmm... beer.

Is it true that in different states Budweiser varies in alcohol strength?

Over here Budvar, which purports to be the original Czech Budweiser is gaining in popularity over it's American cousin and to be honest it tastes a hell of a lot better.

In my opinion, the only American lager that is mass-produced that has a taste worth drinking for the taste is Samuel Adams Boston Lager. Good beer. The macro-microbrew.

Word. I dig Sam Adams Boston Lager a great deal.

Since we are discussing beer, I'll vote for "Singtao" from China. I'm not fond of China, just their beer.

Rocky

You meant Tsingtao right? If so, yeah, I dig that beer as well.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/Belgique_r%C3%A9gionale.png

Might I introduce you all to arguably the best beer-producing country in the world? Belgium might not be known for much, but they make the finest beers that have ever passed by my lips.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Yes les belgiques do produce decent beer. There's a beer from Australia called Little Creatures, which I'm partial to. A lot of Belgium bottled beer is too strong IMHO. Beer doesn't have to be any more than 5.5% in my view. You can get a perfectly decent Imperial Pale Ale at under 4%, that tastes wonderful. I don't know where the desire for stronger beers comes from. I remember being in a band at 16 and drinking Fullers ESB (Extra Strong Bitter - I later found out). Two pints and I was a gaga.

You could of course ask what was I doing in a pub at 16 drinking strong ale but ... I was in a rock band!

However, if we get back to cider. I know a co-operative of men in Somerset who make their own cider. Last years crop (1500 gallons) was 17 percent! Yes, 17%. Now that's just silly we're talking sherry or port strength. How are you going to down several pints of that?

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Belgian beer is really nice but then let's not forget Dutch, German, French and Czech beer too. There are also a few quite nice Spanish lagers.

One thing i'm still getting used to, is the temperature of the beer in england, even lager is pretty dam hot compared with the Portuguese beer, also the mix of gas on the pipes, is strangely low, for my taste buds of course.

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

Well Portugal is quite warm most of the year and so cellar temperature beer would not be cool enough. However, the warmer the drink the more flavour you get from it. And In England you get a choice, either you can drink:

a) that dreadful continental pi$$-water lager that only under-age drinkers drink, or

b) the delightful individual brewery hand-selected hops beer that any intellectual would defend Queen and Country for.

It's a simple choice.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

I was surprised in the States to learn that cider referred to apple juice. Does it also refer to the alcoholic variety?

Phil,

The alcoholic version of cider is called "hard cider" -- at least to my knowledge it still is.

I've also been told to be specific when ordering an iced tea in a bar, because in some places if you don't, you could end up with a Long Island Iced tea. Long Island iced teas have five different kinds of liquor in them (it's been so long since I've had a L.I. iced tea that I don't remember which kinds are in it). If a L.I. iced tea is made right, you can barely taste the liquor, but after one or two you definitely won't be feeling any pain. :D

Michelle

My new baby is a 2002 Collectors by Ovation

I think this is a cool song title -- "Can't Remember to Forget"

Archived