Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Reharm Room

SK

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice arrangement and playing, Mark. Are those drums in Logic? Like Dave, I enjoyed your solo at the end.

Here's my quick take of another Christmas song (just bass and strings), and then Marsalis's faithful rendition of Ellington/Strayhorn's version of the Nutcracker.

http://www.divshare.com/download/13560961-a98

[video:youtube]

I haven't contributed to this thread in quite some time, so here's some Christmas cheer:

O Jazz O, Jazz Emmanuel

Awesome. Lovely changes man! Great playing, harmonic choices and feel.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Thanks, my friends. After "flying a desk" for so long, it's nice to just do this for the fun of it. Dave, I kept the soloing truncated intentionally, as I know that many of my non-musician family and friends wouldn't "be able to hang". This version walks a pretty fine line between "somewhat semi-accessible" and "pushing my luck". Steve, the drums were a mélange of different sources, Stylus RMX, Logic and some third party stuff. And Logic was the daw. Linwood, I'm unable to stream your tune beyond the first few bars of the vocal. Having any technical difficulties? I'll keep trying.

Guys, I promise to catch up on my listening. I've been so focused on getting this done, and I have very little spare time these days...

I know that many of my non-musician family and friends wouldn't "be able to hang". This version walks a pretty fine line between "somewhat semi-accessible" and "pushing my luck".

That is the absolute greatness of it IMO. I always love it when both sides (musical nerds / musical laymen) can BOTH be reached and tickled by the same thing.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Cnegrad, that's a very nice concept, performed with enthusiasm and convinction. I loved it.

Steve, your bass/strings arrangement is great. The sounds are a bit harsh for my tastes, but the music is excellent - with a slight touch of madness, which at this point we could consider a proof of authenticity. :D

Thanks Dave and Carlo.

Steve, your bass/strings arrangement is great. The sounds are a bit harsh for my tastes, but the music is excellent - with a slight touch of madness, which at this point we could consider a proof of authenticity. :D

Carlo, the sounds were harsh to me too, but I just didn't have the time/interest to make it sound a whole lot better. I find it hard to get a balance with Trilian bass/EW strings.

And yeah, me doing a holiday song tends to bring out a slight touch of madness. :grin: I didn't arrange it, just improvised the strings afterwards and said "that will have to do."

Now less harsh, more calories: it turned into "have yourself a Trilian fretless Christmas", with a little holiday shredding at the end.

http://www.divshare.com/download/13560961-a98

(disclaimer: Views expressed in this tonal commentary are for amusement purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect the musical tastes of the performer.)

• 2 weeks later...

Just total shredding on the blues with an upright. The horn stuff on the second half is my reconstruction of a harmonized Charlie Parker solo - from an arrangement I played with the Woody Herman band.

http://www.divshare.com/download/13685326-4a0

This is very 'period' stuff here (Not sure what "new blues" would be though.)

Hey, thank you guys a lot. It's good to know when something works on some level, since most things I throw in this thread are some sort of bizarre experiment.

The bass could be better. I don't have all the parameters of the program down yet, so the quirkiness factor is a little high. But it's kind of fun playing acoustic piano gigs, then I come home and don't use piano in the recordings at all.

Just total shredding on the blues with an upright. The horn stuff on the second half is my reconstruction of a harmonized Charlie Parker solo - from an arrangement I played with the Woody Herman band.

That just made my day - at least the early portion of it :thu:

I can't imagine trying to sequence something like that. To make something out/free one piece at a time yet have it sound performed instead of composed is pretty sick if you ask me....

I want to be SK when I grow up

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Thanks Kevin - and uh, be careful what you wish for. :grin: Yeah, the second half was a definite personality change - the first half was just me playing stuff; the second part was a recreation of other people's stuff.

I don't know if it's sequencing exactly - I just winged the bass solo straight through, went back and added a touch of drums and organ to make it "seem" coherent. The bass has all those built-in inflections from aftertouch/key assignment, so it came out the way it came out. I did go back and fix a couple notes, but it was mostly the way you hear it.

For the horn stuff, I did put the harmony lines in separately. No click track at all, so a bit precarious - I had to take some liberty with the time to let the "horn" sounds bloom, and I just couldn't have played that bass very freely with a click track.

That was great!

Some tech questions if you don't mind.....

What sample set did you use for the brasses?

What DAW are you using!

Steve, you're amazing me! Especially since everything sounds very spontaneous, with little or no planning.

Roger, your holiday offering sounds great too. Pleasant, energetic and fun.

Also, I had no idea that Band.in-a-Box sounded so good now.... :freak:

Thank you Linwood and Carlo.

Carlo, the bass solo was all spontaneous, and the horn parts were all planned. I did shorten the bass solo because it was too long (took out a middle section right before the high descending lines near the end.) I lengthened some midi notes for the bass to ring better, but that's about it. Of course, I was playing left hand bass under some of the bass solo, so there are more notes than a bass player would play.

Some tech questions if you don't mind.....

What sample set did you use for the brasses?

What DAW are you using!

vicsant, no problem... I used a tenor and alto from the Roland FP4, and a small bit of trombone and studio horns from Logic, which I recorded it with. The trumpet (main melody) was not a trumpet patch - I found an analog synth in Logic that sounded more real to me than the trumpet patches, and I also tweaked it a little closer. The bass was "upright 2" in Trilian.

Of course, I was playing left hand bass under some of the bass solo, so there are more notes than a bass player would play.
I don't know man. There's a bass player I know who will walk with his chin on the low strings while soloing up the neck with his fingers....
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

LOL! At a recent jam, the organizer said "Jam cancelled - we don't have a bass player". I emailed him back, don't we have piano players? Stick a keyboard up there!

And then we would have had a whole night without a bass solo (insert bass solo jokes here...).

...but the bass player showed up.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1