Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Reharm Room

SK

Carlo, I really enjoyed that. Beautiful.

Since it all falls under "reharm" (well, a single note can be a reharm), I'd almost like to do a series of variations on this tune with you, me, and Dave or anyone one who wants to add more. (What do you think?) It gets back to the purpose of the thread - the different ways a piece may be done.

Here's an old one posted a while back. Sort of mad scientist groove with intentional overuse of reverb. I did something in one section I'd never tried before - stabbing at the keys, one note per hand, not knowing how it would work out. Now I'd like to try a totally different one. Thanks for the inspiration, Carlo.

http://www.bellmusicproductions.com/clientdownloads/Solar.mp3

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve, that's fantastic - even better than the first one (although the reverb is a bit disconcerting).

Believe me, I'd love a collab - on Solar, of all thing - that's one of my best veichles for improvisation.

Fact is, I'm always so busy, that I risk to say yes on the wave of enthusiasm, then to end up being a disappointment for everybody else.

I did that version of mine all at once, at very late night as usual... and frankly, i find it a bit bland, and much less creative than either of Steve's versions.

In short, guys, forgive me if you can, but at the moment, I can't commit on playing a series of variations on Solar and posting them. Please do it without me; I can always add something as soon as I have the time.

There is, however, one song that I absolutely want to contribute; about a month ago, I scribbled a reharm of "Every Time You Say Goodbye" which I rather like... I will play and post the melody one of these days.

Apologies left and right.

Carlo

No apologies necessary or accepted. After I suggested it, I did a slower, more reharmed version, was really into it for about 2 minutes, then suddenly lost all interest. :) But sometime I'll try it again.

As to your version being "bland" - if it was, that's what I liked about it - relaxed and expansive. I think mine was demented.

Dave - it'll would be great to hear another take on it from you.

And I look forward to the next tune from you Carlo.

I heard those albums many years ago and liked them. But the influences from back then were deeper than just listening to Jarrett, Chick, Herbie, etc. I also was into Ornette's tunes, and listened to a lot of Paul Bley and John Coates, Jr., all who were major influences on Jarrett, plus classical elements. So I get that feel sometimes, from all those same concepts, in certain circumstances.

But... I'll have to try another Solar to make sure they aren't there. ;)

There is, however, one song that I absolutely want to contribute; about a month ago, I scribbled a reharm of "Every Time You Say Goodbye" which I rather like... I will play and post the melody one of these days.

...and here it is. :)

Every Time We Say Goodbye

A *very* rough reading of the changes I wrote down a while ago. It's just to give an idea of how they sound under the melody... much more can be done with these chords.

It sounds quite respectful... but not one chord from the original has been kept.

Rigorously out of time as well. :D

Thanks, LB.

Really, really nice, Carlo, and what a great choice for a reharm. It can go practically anywhere. Very nicely reharmed. Thanks for sharing that!

Okay, I took yet another try at Solar (masochist). This morning I just woke up, no coffee, went right to the keyboard and played this sloppy, rambling version in one take. Nothing special - maybe a couple moments in there. Kinda fun to record under a mental fog, but I should probably delete this later. :rolleyes:

http://stashbox.org/431058/So%20Solar.mov

Okay, hope somebody else will do one.

Carlo and SK - great versions of Solar (that includes both of yours SK). I guess I'll join in the fun, but I'm warning you it gets fairly out there.

This is my interpretation of Carlo's interpretation of SK's interpretation of the yet to be posted Dave Ferris interpretation of my interpretation of Carlo's interpretation of SK's first interpretation of Solar. Got it?

Try This:

http://stashbox.org/431434/Lunaro.mp3

:D

The link works now.

So that was Cecil Taylor's version of Chick's version of Carlo's interpretation of my version of Dave's future interpretation.

Lot's of fun, ideas and chops. Hey, you didn't resolve it! What the...

That was nice, Roger! Thanks for posting it. Makes mine sound like Victor Borge's version. BTW, "Time Warp" threw me... a CD I was partially involved in is coming out by that name.

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed I'm a "Hall Of Fame Member", so to 'celebrate' :freak: (I was gonna post this anyway)...

I just did this TV theme reharm for the KC Comp CD which isn't a definite go now, so I'm putting it here.

It's an alternate universe version of a famous TV theme - the idea came from the CD suggestion on the forum.

Fraught with several TV show quotes, it's an intended "Cringefest" at times. Sort of The Tuxers on steroids - Linwood, you know what I'm talking about.

A totally un-serious offering, here's "Welcome To Da' Berry."

http://stashbox.org/447568/Welcome%20To%20Da%27%20Berry.mov

That was beautiful. I laughed from the Leave It To Beaver quote through the Linus and Lucy lick. Sounds a little like the changes in my old neighborhood in the last fifty years. You can almost see a wrinkled up Barney Fife pining for the good old days from his wheelchair.
--wmp

Just noticed I'm a "Hall Of Fame Member", so to 'celebrate' :freak: (I was gonna post this anyway)...

A totally un-serious offering, here's "Welcome To Da' Berry."

That was seriously hilarious. :laugh:

Your musical genius never ceases to amaze me. Congrats on HoF status. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I was able to borrow a pair of the AKG 451s for the day from a friend of mine so I thought I'd try a pass on Solar.

http://www.divshare.com/download/6843503-2a2

Also, I've meaning to put this up too.

Polka Dots & Moonbeams. Back on the Yamaha GT2.

http://www.divshare.com/download/6843506-3b8

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

Thanks to everyone for the kind words!

What a great sound. I was sitting here wondering how you recorded that very nice looking piano in your profile pic. :) Nice playing, too!

That picture was taken at Steinway Hall in NYC in December, 2006. I wish I had one of those vintage grands to record.

Very nice playing and good recording. An agent once booked me at the Blennerhassett Hotel (sp?) there, hmm, or was that Parkersburg?

What are you using for your keyboard/recording setup?

I am using an RD700SX as a controller, but I will move to either an Akai MPK88 (when and if it is released) or a Yamaha CP-33 soon.

I played this piece straight into the Garritan Steinway's built in audio recorder.

Also, yes, the Blennerhassett is in Parkersburg. My wife Heidi and I have weekend getaways there often.

I noticed "In My Life" on your page there.

My wife Heidi sings all the vocal tunes on that page (except for my 4.5-year-old singing "You Are My Sunshine"). The vocal tunes are the first things I've done in Cubase, so they're a little rough.