Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Reharm Room

SK

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Dave,

I wish you would just stop being so good, ha! Thanks for the transcripts. I always download them/music and try to find time to break some of them down!

Thanks,

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Thanks Linwood.

Here's one for the Ultimate Reharms Collection. ("world premiere") -another collaboration with kad on his delightfully bizarre rendition of another Beatles song. This isn't what John Lennon had in mind, but at least the spirit is the same.

It was a challenge to hear and develop. But fun.

http://stashbox.org/388607/And...YBCS.mov

I've listened to this a few times now and it's really growing on me. And I'm beginning to think it's a familiar tune afterall.

It's like hearing your thoughts SK, as you follow kad's voice. Hearing through someone else's ears... a very cool experience to say the least.

Remarkable. (and yeah, I like it all) :thu:

Nice harp. ;)

Fabulous singing! :cool:

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Sue/Dave - Thanks! I think... ;)

Here is a brief history of the abuse we put this song through:

ORIGINAL VERSION: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icdfIGOXIFI

REHARM #1 http://www.remainsmusic.com/audio/bsrs.mp3

REHARM #2 http://stashbox.org/387174/And..YBCS.mov

I did the vocal arrangement quite a while ago (same time frame as the Rigby thing). It was mostly just an experiment to amuse myself. I liked the intro and the slower "ballad" section, but I considered the rest to be pretty much a throw-away. Also, I used very poor mic pre's which made the vocals rather harsh.

It sent the recording to Steve a couple of weeks ago, and he turned it into something really fun! I'm beginning to think I could send Steve a recording of fingernails on a blackboard and he could make something musical out of it! :)

Dave - just curious, have you ever heard the Revolver "take 2" version of And Your Bird Can sing?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy3rSm_8Ydg This is the version I WISH they had released - great groove! McCartney's bass line is sublime.

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

...Better, "final "production"

Oh yes indeed this is a "final production". The production level on this is way off the charts! SK and kad, this is one very enjoyable listening experience, and SK, you are one heck of an arranger. So many subtleties going on, and all tasteful. Encore! :thu:

Really great, you two. I've got the 4trk stems to sgt p. I should upload them to you two and you guys do something with the real guys in the mix.

Thanks Linwood! Regarding Sgt. Pepper, after the the tongue lashing Pat Metheney gave to Kenny G for treading on a Louie Armstrong track - I wouldn't dare! :D

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Thanks Sue, Piano4U and Linwood.

Linwood, 'performing' with the Beatles sounds like fun, but I trust you have a good lawyer. :) I also wouldn't mind throwing a chord cluster or two in on a James Brown song.

Such as (singer) "In a cold sweat"... (bass)boom, boom, boom... (snare) bop bop... horn cluster.

• 2 weeks later...

In the spirit of 'The Room', I wanted some old standard that might be representative of The Great American Songbook. (I don't have that book, but this tune's bound to be in there.)

So this one's for The Great American Songbook and DAVE HORNE, wherever you are. Or maybe we'll call it "Ode To The Real Book" or general business reharm. An homage to the solo piano player.

All left hand bass and RH piano played in real time.... so pardon any time issues. No overdubbing, but I did reorder a couple sections to be more cohesive.

I rarely enjoyed this song when I used to play it, so I tried variations on it, from classical, latin, traditional to bop. It forced me to play some styles I don't consider anymore. So it became an academic experiment: I EQ'd sections differently - the piano on the melody section sounds kinda like a musty room at a country club.

http://stashbox.org/411947/I%20Could%20Write%20A%20Book.mov

That was great SK! I've been in that musty room at the country club, but when I played the piano there it never sounded like that!

I like all the different styles you go into, and then out of and through - very creative and very rhythmic.

A totally enjoyable listening experience, really. :thu:

Great Steve! Always a treat to hear what you can cook up." SK...Live at The Bull and Bear Club." Hey, our bass player friend N. R. called me yesterday. he's coming out in a couple weeks to hang. He told me to tell you Hi and said, "Steve is as good as anyone I've ever heard." Couldn't have said it better myself.

While you were posting that, I did a quick take on "Solar". It's sort of similar to that video, but I hadn't seen the video yet. 'Reharmed' the melody and dropped some beats, now it's absurd to play. I didn't do much with it, but maybe tell NR to check it out when he visits.

http://stashbox.org/413382/a%20different%20Solar.mov

Steve, both "I Could Write a Book" and "Solar" left me with my mouth open. The different EQs on the piano were interesting and fun, and the "deconstruction" of the song real food for the soul and mind.

"Solar" has always be a sort of empty box for me, an embryo to give life to different textures - and your version stimulates me to bring it in new directions.

Linwood, thanks a lot for that video. I had no idea of Sanders' current group, and it's devastating. Nat Reeves... wow!! :D:)

Nat's a good old friend. Met him when I was maybe 20 and we've kept in touch. Back then, Jaco was the stuff and I remember Nat taking the frets out of his jazz bass to get that sound. That's when it all started for him. There isn't a more gentle soul that I know of. Just a good old, down to Earth, bad mofo.

I saw him play once with Kenny Garrett. No flash, nothing fancy, but the gig would have folded completely with almost any other bass player. So tasteful and so solid no matter how in or out the gig. You're definitely a lucky man to have spent some time playing with a bass player like that :thu:
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so far behind in my listening...

Steve - Solar was mind-blowing! Man, I'm running out of superlatives to describe your work!