Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Reharm Room

SK

I ordered it a couple months ago and it showed up yesterday. I listened to it nonstop for maybe 6 hours, went out to dinner, came back, and under the headphones I went. Didn't get a thing done. Claus is a bad dude and Danilo does a great job with the music. Some moments of greatness on there, for sure. Yea, Lazy Afternoon...how smart is that?!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To bump this great thread I have uploaded a tune for you.

Not strictly a reharm though, more of an improvisation in the style of.

Dedicated to the late great Joe Zawinul.

http://www.divshare.com/download/5323622-efa

I improvised this live using lots of synths - Korg Prophecy, Nord 2, MS2000, Akai Z4, and Nord 3 with JV1080 at the end.

You can see me play it on...

although the sound is better on the divshare link

I plan to do some Ellington reharms soon, sophisticated lady, prelude to a kiss maybe. Anyone else have any Ellington reharms?

(maybe I have missed them on this long thread!)

I'm cross posting this from Tom's other thread, because I wanted to turn you guys onto this:

The new release from vocalist Denise Donatelli is absolutely knocking me out; not so much because of Donatelli, but because Geoff Keezer's arrangements; deep stuff! Linwood, you'd probably like this one.

Here's the iTunes url...

and for those of you who are anti-iTunes, you can check it out at Denise's site, located here....

This one is a Reharmer's delight! Enjoy....

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and I thought this was an awesome thread. I'm still trying to listen to all the reharms that everyone has posted...

I'm also new to reharmonizing songs and I thought I'd share my first attempt at butchering Misty. I have to admit I stole linwood's reharmonization on page 3 of the forum to get me started.

http://www.conradkao.com/Songs/Reharm/Misty%20Reharm.mp3

I'd appreciate any constructive criticism.

Thanks!

Oh shit, that scared me when I read that. I had to go look at page 3 to see what kind of bad advice I might have given. Looks like I was in some sort of poly chord thing Eb/Db..C/Dm..Dm/Eb

Nice job seacow and welcome to the Corner. Man that's the bravest first post I've ever seen. Well done! You'll fit in perfectly around here. I like what you did with Misty. We've got some real pros around here when it comes to reharms....Ferris,SK,cnegrad,marino,piano4u, horne, just to name a few. This has been a great thread. Thanks for kickin' it back to the front.

Thanks linwood! I'm really excited I found this thread. I feel like my learning had plateaued and all these great reharms have really got me motivated to relearn tunes that I thought I knew.

To everyone (realizing this question has already sort of been asked) When reharmonizing a song, are there certain guidelines that you follow? I hate to say "rules" of reharmonization but I guess that's what I'm trying to say. What are some of your favorite substitutions?

I think I'm starting to realize, that I should have a mood or idea in mind when I'm reharmonizing and I should build my chords according to what I want the music to express at that particular moment.

As far as being brave goes, I'm in the middle of reading Kenny Warner's Effortless Mastery. (I highly recommend it although I get the feeling most of you guys have probably read it already) It's really changed the way I think about music. I wouldn't necessarily call myself brave, I've just stopped equating my self worth to how I play music.

Thanks again and I hope to contribute some more soon!

Yea, I'm I'm with Linwood - a very brave first post and done well!

When reharmonizing a song, are there certain guidelines that you follow?

There are simple little tricks that I use.

I'll take a look at where I want a certain note in the melody to end harmonically on. Let's say I want the fifth note of the melody to have some kind of 'C' chord. I'll work backwards from there. The fourth note of the melody will have some kind of 'G' chord, the third note of the melody will have some kind of 'D' chord ... and so on. Sometimes you can force things through, sometimes not.

... or I'll approach the 'fifth' note of the melody (in this example) using chromatically ascending or descending chords. If I wanted a 'C' type chord on the fifth note of the melody, the fourth note will 'see' some kind of 'Db' chord ... and so on ..... or I'll approach it from a 1/2 step below.

... or I'll use the same exact voicing using parallel (block) chords. Each melody note will be, for example, the +11 of a chord and I'll use the same exact voicing for every melody note. (You can't do this for too long, say, four of five melody notes.)

Anytime I see a dominant 7th chord I break it up into a ii7 - V7. That alone doubles your chords and helps to move things along.

If I see a minor iv chord, I'll think a bVII chord ... and so on.

Before I reharmonize anything I simply play just the melody and listen.

These 'tricks' can be worked on systematically.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Thanks Dave! I'll try to implement some of those tricks.

I've been busy boarding up my house in preparation for Hurricane Ike. I'm just north of Houston and I think it's going to hit us tomorrow night. Hopefully that means more practice time at the piano. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Dave Ferris, that is a very, very nice reharm! I play that tune but nowhere near the reharm you've done.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I am new here, Hi!

Great thread, got some really good ideas, really enjoyed the "lover man", cheers for that!

I play a little piano, I have a version of "all the things you are" that I twisted around a bit and probably ruined in the process! not a great recording and done on my rd.

http://www.myspace.com/leonmichener

and i am digging the voicing thread!

lem

I agree, that is amazing playing! Leon, I hope you contribute more tunes to this thread.

Welcome!

Lem,

Really, very nice version of All Things, modern. Played very well! I enjoyed that!

Welcome to the Forum.

lb

I am new here, Hi!

Great thread, got some really good ideas, really enjoyed the "lover man", cheers for that!

I play a little piano, I have a version of "all the things you are" that I twisted around a bit and probably ruined in the process! not a great recording and done on my rd.

http://www.myspace.com/leonmichener

and i am digging the voicing thread!

lem

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Leon,

Welcome to the forum!

Your version of "All the Things" is excellent. Jerome Kern as played by Berg's and Hindemith's secret son... :D

Seriously, your ear for classical and contemporary music is really evident even in your jazz playing.

Please contribute more songs to this thread!

I'm also curious about where you come from and where you've studied music.

Carlo

Nice place here, some interesting stuff. Ive been messing w/Codes of the Underground a bit, found that u could get the charts for that LP and a number of Wyntons lp's at his site, wynton marsalis.org I think it is..theyre pdf format, that lp's charts cost 20$ apiece or 80$ for all of them..it states that all of the parts are written...

dont know if its been mentioned here, so scuse if it has..

Anyone here dload any of these? If so, whats your take on them?

Im tempted..

Dave Ferris, for the longest time I had problems with YouTube; I'd almost always receive the 'video does not exist' message. I researched the problem and went through the same thing as you with installing Java Script/Adobe Flash 9 (or whatever it was) and I still had a problem. I had that problem for months.

All at once, the problem went away and I attribute that to a Windows Update though I have no proof of that. Just a thought.

hi there, and thanks to everyone who listened and for your kind comments and support. Really enjoying mining this site, so much info and detail! Thanks for making me feel so welcome.

I taught myself jazz from listening to records and later as a teenager studied piano and composition at a few music conservatoires in london. I rarely gig, occasionally when asked for friend's and a few local bands which tends to be more in a popular style or Jazz influenced. I don't think they have any idea about the modern 20c or Jazz stuff. Every couple of months I try to play a little solo concert somewhere which is more modern/ experimental, this helps me keep motivated. Hard to find the time to practice at the moment, the cost of living is so high here and the teaching I do is very low paid. After years of sustained bashing my piano has also almost completely fallen apart and I can't afford another!

I really enjoy teaching and that keeps me musically on my toes. I am interested in aural and physical approaches to learning things like analysis and harmony, and developing ways to teach this.

Favorite pianists would be Tatum, Peterson, Richter, Sofronitsky, Sorabji Godowski, Monk, but of course there are so many other fantastic musicians about.

Sorry about the myspace, I have very little idea about how it works myself.

(know what you mean Dave about the Debussy etudes, I find every one a Nightmare!)

leonm

Nice playing seacow, Dave F and Leon! This thread keeps getting better.

I came across Doug McKenzie's youtube lessons. Another great musican who takes the time to share his knowledge. Having the notation of his playing is really invalubale to me. Here's his sublime version of Bernstein's Some Other Time.

I just listened to Darn That Dream. I really enjoyed listening to that - very nicely done!

• 2 weeks later...