Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Reharm Room

SK

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's one old, now obsolete original trying to channel the spirit of the early Bill Evans' style. Click "download original" for good quality.

http://www.divshare.com/download/4734132-c7c

I think I posted this melody by itself before on KC, but I included some of the bass/piano solos here.

News bulletin: Ok, I actually listened to something...

Steve, Evanstone is great. I just don't understand why you had to cut it so early! The Monk stride thing is a lot of fun too.

Dave - I love Tones; I haven't played it in a very long time. Your version sounds very good, nice and original with a lot of intensity. I know it's a very difficult song to take as a piano solo.

I saw that some of you did "The more I see you", so I've scribbled a reharm of that. I'll try to record it when I have the time. I still have to hear your versions.

Finally, I found a recording of an old gig where I played, among other things, my reharm of Rogers' "You are too beautiful", which I posted earlier in the thread. However, the audio is so horrible that I'm not sure I want to share it.

That's it for today. See you next time!

Thanks Carlo, Dave and Linwood. Look forward to hearing you again soon, Carlo.

Dave, on "Evanstone", that was one of two trios I had in Baltimore for 10 years. And I see I wasn't clear: I didn't rerecord anything - that's my acoustic piano there. Just an old, derivative tune of mine. I cut it down because it was long - but enough to get the idea.

On to your tunes and gear, Dave. Good playing all around. Very pretty; all of it.

The 300GX sounds better to me on Autumn In NY than the P120.

The P120 sounds like it was recorded better on Falling Grace. It has a presence which lets it cut through, but it still has a thin brightness to it. This may allow it to project and sound better through lesser quality speakers - I'm thinking good speakers might bring out the 'digitalness' of it.

I can tell the GX would sound far better recorded direct with more EQ. The new GX has a richness and density in the overtones beyond the SX. That's good or bad depending...

If it's not EQ'ed properly, those frequencies can muddy it and make it sound mushy and thin. EQ'ed with good speakers, it's a big plus. So I'm impressed with it overall, because I hear the raw material in the sample. So that's my opinion.

And yeah, I'd love to hear Jazz+ in here. It would enrich the thread that much more.

I mentioned this in the past and just added it to my site. I did this very quickly .... Just One Of Those Things

http://members.home.nl/davehorne/mp3/JustOneOfThoseThings.mp3

It was just the idea of an approach and not the finished product per se.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Dave, that was really interesting for me to hear those recording on both the P120 and RD300GX - I currently gig with a P120, and I'm happy with it, mostly. But I've been playing it since 2001, and I've got the 7-year itch.

The RD300GX fits the profile of what I'm looking for in a dp - gotta be small and light for this wheezer.

I think they both sound good, and your playing sounds great, as always. I play both of those tunes, too!

Steve, Evanstone sounds great, good rhythm section!

DH, cool Just One Of.

Here's the way So Many Stars turned out.

hit me

As a side note, here's what I used:

drums - scarbee imp. xl

bass - Trilogy and the omega 8

rhodes - scarbee

strings - appassionata II

brass - ewqlso

flute - westgate

oboe - westgate

clars. - ewqlso

Wow Linwood; sounds gorgeous even on my laptop speakers! I look forward to re-listening again when I get home. Some questions:

1. I know that you're studying EIS, but is that where you learned orchestration? More specifically; I know that EIS alters your note choices, but is that where you learned how to orchestrate your voicings for the various sections of the orchestra? Your writing for the woodwinds and brass are wonderful. Where did you learn what combinations of them to use?

2. Can I get a copy of the mp3?

3. No harmonica fills? :(

Thanks for sharing this!

Thanks guys. You can right click and download that mp3. I'm flattered you'd want it. Yea, all that stuff I've learned from studying eis with dave blumberg. It's a pretty complete form of study and working with db is the best. He's cleaned up a lot of my slop and he's still got a long road to haul trying to whip me into shape, but he's up for the task. I've still got maybe 2 more years to spend with him to finish all the books.

The mix....I didn't spend any time on this. When I finished the seq., I did a mix of the instrumental track and bounced it down to 2 tracks so that I wouldn't have to have to whole thing open while I tracked the vocal. That's what you're hearing here. I haven't opened the whole mix up yet and I'm not sure when I will. I've got a couple more of these to do. I'll get 'em in the ballpark and move on to the next one and take a couple days on the end to mix everything. I'm sure the vocal will change and maybe some of the arr. before it's all said and done.

I just added 's Wonderful, a great Gershwin tune. What I play is pretty much how I would play it in a restaurant - a gentle reharmonization, an easy to listen to jazz lite version; with a trio I would certainly expand the soloing.

http://members.home.nl/davehorne/mp3/'sWonderful.mp3

I wrote earlier in this massive thread that I thought an anti-virus program was the culprit in adding noise to the files. I really don't think that was the case. I have a set of headphones with a loose connection and even though that was 'output' it might have added noise to the 'input'. If it wasn't that it was the cheap Ikea lamp I have on the piano.

At any rate, I simply use different headphones and turn the offending light off. The problem seems to be solved.

(I was surprised that an apostrophe was allowed in file naming.)

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

SK, thanks. I must confess I used those white boards to help. I had to knock out a wall to accommodate them but I think it was worth it.

Great job with this thread SK and others! I haven't waded past page 2 yet and just started with the last couple of pages. This will be a great long term resource. I appreciate all of you contributing. It'll just take me awhile to read through all this...

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

I've avoided posting this link since this arrangement appears on one of the KC Comp CDs. However, I decided to go ahead and post it for three reasons:

1) It has an intro that I edited from the comp version in the interest of track length.

2) I feel awful about the fact that I haven't had time to contribute to this great thread thus far.

3) SK asked me to post it, and Steve is THE MAN!! :thu::wave:

This is a vocal arrangement I did for the Beatles's "Here, There and Everywhere": http://www.remainsmusic.com/audio/hte.mp3

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Truly beautifully done, kad. Not just the imaginative harmonies, but the sustained chords (and arrangement) elevate it to something more.

Applause, and thanks for putting it up. :thu:

Jazzwee - Thank you from all of us here in "The Room", and take your time... there's a lot of stuff on these pages.

Truly beautifully done, kad. Not just the imaginative harmonies, but the sustained chords (and arrangement) elevate it to something more.

Applause, and thanks for putting it up. :thu:

Jazzwee - Thank you from all of us, and take your time... there's a lot of stuff on these pages.

Thank you Steve. I'm really embarrassed about posting something I did around 7 years ago when you manage to turn out phenomenal arrangements on a daily basis!! I look forward to contributing new stuff when life settles down a bit. In the mean time, keep your inspiring stuff coming! :thu:

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Yea kad. That's always been one of my favorite things I've ever heard here on the corner. Really good stuff. I'm a huge Beatles fan. I still listen to that catalog all the time and it's like I'm hearing it for the first time. Love your arr.

Yea kad. That's always been one of my favorite things I've ever heard here on the corner. Really good stuff. I'm a huge Beatles fan. I still listen to that catalog all the time and it's like I'm hearing it for the first time. Love your arr.

Thanks so much Linwood. You've posted so much great stuff here I wouldn't know where to start!

Thank you everyone for the kind words. Let me reiterate that I've been more than humbled by all of your contributions!

Hey Dave - yes, for better or worse, every voice in that recording is mine. :) Thanks again!!

Kirk

Kad,

How many voices were there? Any doubling or chorusing used? It's very thick....

Hey Mark,

No effects other than reverb. Each track is at least doubled - in some cases tripled or quadrupled. I like a "big" sound - within reason of course. :) The arrangement varies from simple 4 part harmony to upwards of 10 parts in some places.

Thanks for your comments!

Kirk