Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Reharm Room

SK

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beautiful Linwood! You have that Dave Grusin/Don Sebesky vibe going.

The lessons are paying off huh? I like a lot of the inner voice movements. Great voicings too.

Now all it needs is a keytar solo.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

OK, here's the very poor man's Linwood. Like I said, just excerpts. I probably shouldn't even put this up.

I did this when I first got my FP4 and first tried to layer instruments without any click or drums, so time got weird between instruments = epic fail.

It's a reharm of "When Summer Turns To Snow", a rarely played Dave Grusin latin song - my attempt at a suite version of the song done in a variety of tempos and sections, and I lost control of it in spots.

The original is 12 minutes long... so I just stuck short, incomplete excerpts here, to give some idea of some different sections. (It'll start and stop.) I spared you the uptempo and longer solo choruses.

Linwood, this proves you're right - I need some software to do a decent job.

http://www.divshare.com/download/4702194-5f6

Well :idea: you must have cut those spots where you lost control.

That's gorgeous. What else can I say, I already sound like a groupie.

linwood, I loved that too. Lucky singer.

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

I don't know, cnegrad. Brazil '66 did it, and I 'think' he wrote it for them, but I thought it was an awful version - melodramatic vocals and too slow to hear the movement of the chords.

I learned it from a Brazilian recording in Portugese (cassette tape) I was given to do a chart years ago for Charlie Byrd. So I took the liberty of memorizing it.

I changed the chords a lot here - the original is simpler - like instead of ending on Db minor, it ends on A maj7 as the last chord and first chord of the next chorus, like a round.

And thanks, you're very kind - I should have redone a simpler, complete version for the thread. Maybe I will later.

Linwwood, very nice! I kept seeing a love scene in a film and that was the music.

SK, great playing, great tune. That tune sounds very familiar. I had an LP of Pete Jolly and I swear that tune was on it but the LP would have been from 1980 or earlier. I'll have to look up at tune and learn it.

I'm working on 's Wonderful, a great Gershwin tune. It should be ready this week.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Enjoyed the excerpts of When Summer Turns to Snow, Steve. That song and Brazilian Wedding Song, and So Many Stars, and Setembro, they are almost like a genre, I'm not sure what to call it, maybe 'Michelle LeGrand-esque"? Evocative, emotional, cinematic. or something?

Thanks to all. This just proves to me you all were "well raised", to be able to find something nice to say about a botched, piecemeal post like that. Parts of it I liked too, so I didn't want to break it up like that. But I hate hearing discrepancies between instruments, and there were times when it happened.

Evocative, emotional, cinematic. or something?

And maybe impressionistic and romantic.

Who knew you were so sensitive?? ;-)
HEY! Whadya' mean... SENSITIVE!!?? :evil::mad::)

Dave,

TFJB is one my favorite tunes that I never learned to play and you play it beautifully! By any chance do you have a lead sheet?

CP300 sounds better than I expected, considering that it's a "little brother"; does it have any decent Rhodes sounds? Thanks for starting my day with this gorgeous playing!

That sounds good, Dave. Good soloing.

Re the CP300, when you say more comfortable, more comfortable how? Feel, or sound?

I like the sound of the CP300, although I think Divshare converts stereo recordings to mono - not positive, but it sounds like it. Were you using a mono patch?

CP300 - hmmm, it sounds vaguely like a certain Star Wars robot, don't it? :)

cnegrad, cp300 is actually the big bro, cp33's the lil' bro

Dave, I own a CP300 and at first I wasn't thrilled with the sound of the piano in your recording. As I listened more it grew on me. The only real changes I've made (and I use Mellow Piano 1 on jobs) were to add more and richer reverb (Hall 2) and tweak the EQ. I do have to say the piano sounded like a piano - you could have told us it was an acoustic piano you miked and added room noise and I would have been fooled.

I'm also not 100 perecent thrilled with my GranTouch and add more bass when I listen (not record) to my own playing.

Your playing is great, thanks for starting out my day as well with it.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Dave , your "Tones" was great. You play so well and I love that era of Chick. I just thought of something...I have a midi file I got somewhere and was told that it's Chick doodling. I'm not sure if it is or not, you tell me...gimme five minutes and I'll go get it and post it. dl and load into your host and call up a piano patch. Back in a minute.

S#!t...it wont open. I had it saved on two different cd's and neither of them will open in DP 5.13 osx 10.4.11. I'll try and figure it out later. sorry. I get the

file wont open. error ID = 1.

Darn, it would be fun to hear Chick noodling in the reharm room.

Yeah Dave, nice playing, man. "Tones" - what a beautiful song. The chords don't need a lot of reharm, but the tune is so irresistible, I might try a take on it sometime too.

In that chart at the 14th bar from the end (Bb maj.7 descending to Abm, etc.) is actually just 2 bars of Bb maj7. In the first half of the tune it uses those chords, and the second time it rests on Bb maj7 for 2 bars, which actually makes it easier to play. I remember the Real Book had those extra chords. So you played a harder version and still did it good.

The CP300 is a clear sound on the recording, and would sound stronger direct into the computer. It has some convincing pianistic elements in the recording - the high A an octave and a half above middle C sounded just like a piano to me, and most all the higher notes too. I wasn't fooled into believing it was a piano, but it has a pleasing sound due to its uniform resonance. A huge improvement over the P120, and a direct recording of the CP would be even more convincing. 7notemode has those excellent recordings of the CP on his YouTube offerings.

String resonance is also on the GX you're ordering, but it's called damper resonance - fully adjustable string resonance you'll get when you apply the pedal. So I 'think' maybe Yamaha was the first to employ it.

Nice job again Dave on one of my favorite tunes, and nice to hear you on a new axe too. :thu:

Dave,

Nice recording and playing on Tones man, as always. Yeah the CP300! It's a fine DP without a doubt! The Mellow 1 patch really smooths out the lower octaves and takes the prominant Yamaha attack

off the notes I have found. That's what's used on Cat's Cradle, that patch! I EQ'ed the high end a little to brighten up Mellow 1 a bit!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

"Tones for Joan's Bones". You know what I find the coolest thing? The way a simple perfect 5th sounds like a whole new stretch. I was fooled into thinking it was much wider. I don't think I'll ever forget it.

Who's Joan??

You obviously know the tune very well. You sound entertained yourself, in an almost detached kind of way. Great playing!

Funny side story (funny to me anyway), I went looking for the original on iTunes and stumbled across a tune called "Norbert's Weiner". I had to buy it. thanks, Dave. :crazy::laugh:

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Hi my friends, just the time to peek and wave my hand. :wave:

Sorry not being present in the thread at the moment. I thought I had experienced every possible amount of pressure, but right now, I'm simply under crossfire. Not even the time to listen to your music... I will do my homework, and resume posting songs, as soon as I can. :)

I knew you'd be back, missed your playing. Also, thanks for the birthday greetings.

Hey Carlo, we're here when you have time. Thanks for stopping in and good luck with all you're doing. :wave:

Griff, I may do a LMF version myself, but Dave gets first shot - it's his great idea.

So to set the mood for a stride "Light My Fire" - I did a Monk stride thing. A minor offering - just being Dave's warm up pianist here. :rimshot:

http://www.divshare.com/download/4727940-172

Really nice, Dave. I can hear a little Eronel undertone to it, and you played a good solo there. :thu:

I see this thread may be headed for more straight jazz stuff. I have some I might add. And you do realize, Dave, you just broke the rule of "no originals" in reharm. :) Fine with me - it was about time!