Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Reharm Room

SK

Right Dave, you had an innocent question and I answered it - my answer was "no unwritten laws." My reply is readable on the page - I won't repost it as it takes up too much space to rehash this.

I acknowledged a technical error in the spirit of total honesty. One number tempo different, no big deal, which physically would be possible for me to play anyway - nothing extreme there. I COULD have not said a word about it, but I thought it was slightly amusing because it baffled me.

We exist on an honor system here. If there must be any rule, I'll make it - NO RULES. If someone uses a technical aid, it's up to them to mention it or not. The only thing that matters to me is the music.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

George and Mildred had saved all their lives for a 2nd Honeymoon vacation in Hawaii. You can only imagine their delight to find a young Bobadohshe in the hotel lounge playing his rendition of the local favorite..... Aloha 'Oe

:D :D

+100 :D :D :D

MY Toys - Kurzweil PC1X, Roland A-90, Yamaha KX88, Yamaha CS1x, Novation 49SL MkII, Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2, JBL PRX615M

My Music Page

I just got the new issue and the reharm thread is mentioned big time and with Herbie on the cover, no less. Congrats SK! This thing is closing in on the NBA thread and the comedy thread, where I must post my reharms.

One final reharm from me before I go off on my holidays.

Another beautiful Jobim tune murdered by use of new age soundscape, distorted guitars and free improvisation.

How Insensitive... yes definitely!

audio...

http://www.divshare.com/download/4155787-887

score...

http://www.divshare.com/download/4155788-e8d

Oh I am feeling this one Dave.

MY Toys - Kurzweil PC1X, Roland A-90, Yamaha KX88, Yamaha CS1x, Novation 49SL MkII, Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2, JBL PRX615M

My Music Page

Steve - please allow me to go public and say that TTT was fantastic! You've managed to keep a strong melodic going over a complex structure, and a coherent, evolving texture all along the tune. I've listened to it three times in a row. Great.

(I must have played TTT many years ago...)

Dave Ferris - is it yourself singing? Wow, that's good, and absolutely in style. The piano comping in perfect too.

For a different perspective....

I only have eyes for you

For some reason, I played it with a kind of poppish feel.

Yeah NY Keys, I love what David did with that.

Carlo, I'm so glad to hear that TTT passes the test of a a semi-modern classical approach. I had no idea if it came across musically or naively ambitious. And wonderful feel on "Only Have Eyes."

This thread's rolling along.

I just got the new issue and the reharm thread is mentioned big time and with Herbie on the cover, no less. Congrats SK! This thing is closing in on the NBA thread and the comedy thread, where I must post my reharms.

I'd browsed the issue but missed it. Thanks Linwood for pointing it out, and to Keyboard Magazine for thinking of it. Linwood, your chordal ideas are GREAT - post here anytime.

At least "George and Mildred" didn't wander into THIS club on their 2nd honeymoon:

Dave Horne, I'm sorry to say that I found your latest 'passing' remark rather disingenuous. (speaking of which, weren't we "back to music"?)

As it was disingenuous (in your previous post) your putting 'quantizing' and 'using a click' on the same plane.

Like you didn't know 'your own' background on the forum, for example the various "real men don't use this or that" and countless other instances.

In short, I think you knew perfectly well the feelings that were behind my original post, but you preferred make me look, if in an understated way, as hyperreactive to your 'innocent' original remark.

(who knows why nobody before had ever thought to talk about 'rules', written or unwritten, for this thread?!)

Ha.

.... was my name misspelled ?

Wait a minute, there's a knocking at the door. Sorry, false alarm - click track. :o

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I don't consider a click track to be an aid that makes recording easier. For me, it tends to make it more difficult. Learning to record with a click is an art, IMO. Have you ever done group recordings using a click, Dave? It can be very challenging to get a natural feel that breathes a little, and still follows the click, and sounds like a together rhythm section. Especially when there's several people, all with their own perceptions of the time. I would use a click track only when it serves some purpose. For multi-tracking, where the tracks are not all being laid down in real time, it's almost a necessity sometimes.

For a jazz recording, I can't see how it would help, but I never say never. Maybe for a latin jazz or fusion thing where tight rhythm is really important?

If I could make a broad statement, jazz players suck at click tracks. You need to switch to the country channel to hear it done right.

Dave, that's funny. :D :D :D

And thanks for straightening me out there, marino. :)

anyway, that's just an awesome video, SK. I wish I could identify the tunes - I hear something vaguely familiar then it's gone. That young kid on the trombone looked to be having the time of his life.

I'm still way behind listening to everything here, too much going on in that other life. I'm curious to hear Peter's Martinu. I played a woodwind sextet by Martinu once that was a lot of fun - elements of jazz and ragtime, polytonality, polyrhythms - it was a kind of acrobatic experience that I personally found way more fun than the usual technical exercise of classical music.

bye for now and thanks for the extreme tolerance.

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Tasteful. You play even bad well.

Seriously, I'm working on The More I See You. I've got the changes down, now it's just a matter of how I want to play it. Peter the Swede mentioned block chords and I've always liked (loved actually) Shearing - that's an idea.

I'll aim for next week. Slow weekend, only one job

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

A very informal club gig from a few weeks ago, not a concert or anything special. I wasn't going to post it as it doesn't show my playing in a very good light. Some exuberant horn players sat in which changed the format to standards, so I went down that time tunnel - surface bebop playing of old tunes I never play. It's not the new music we do, which may not fit in this thread anyway, but there is a snippet of my current trio. It's all edited down to suit short attentions spans - like mine.

So reluctantly, I'll post it to show sometimes I play faster than tempo 109 on an FP4, and to confess to one performance enhancing tool - caffeine. :tired: I'll only leave this clip up for a short time, so I don't incriminate myself too badly (really putting myself out here -yikes) There will be a forum eyewitness - Prof D is coming down soon. The keyboard is the "house" Kawai digital grand.

http://www.divshare.com/download/4585699-d12

Incriminate? Surface bepop playing? I don't get what's surface about it, it sounds good to me! Nice rhythm section you've got there. Good bass player.

How do you like that Kawai digital? That screen looks like something off of a Triton or something, a little odd for a d.p.

Thanks Richard and NY Keys.

That Kawai is over $11,000, and it responds a lot like a piano. It has speakers in the soundboard and woofers underneath, so you feel the vibration when you dig in.

The piano sound is pretty good, but a bit thin and bright - not as much body as what I get from my FP4. And the design is awful... buttons too close to the keyboard that are easy to hit (suddenly I'm playing saxophone, etc.) and a CD drawer on the bottom right corner that I've hit my knee on about a dozen times.

When I said "surface playing", I mean where the feel stays in a rigid swing without the air (or dynamics) to take it to new places. Vintage standards played in a straight ahead way lock it into that one bop vocabulary. And it isn't very harmonically challenging either, but that's what happens in a jam session setting, which is what this turned into. It forced me to play in a style I don't play in much today.

I like things where they can dynamically go from a pin drop to an explosion at any moment, instead of rolling along like a steam engine. Open dynamics give you endless options, which you don't have in a hardcore, traditional swing.

Now, that might not have made it clearer either, but maybe.

SK,

LB, your ATTYA was unique and pretty. Interesting how the expanded voicings (to 13th's, etc.) placed the melody inside of the chords, which gave it a delicate, almost Satie-like quality.

Yes SK, when I happened upon that I had decided I really liked it, it sounded very modern to me harmonically. I had never really done that before which is evidence that this thread is helping.

Alaska was very cool in more ways than one. There was a great player in the jazz band on board the Norwegian Pearl by the name of Colin DeJoseph. He was such a great player and so advanced for his age. He was only 18 and studied at the New School after being rejected by the Wynton Marsalis/ Julliard jazz program, they only take 2 pianists a year into the Julliard program. I can't believe how advanced this kid was, he looked like he was 15 and all the people in my party keep making jokes about it but I hung out with him and the band and he was just a great kid! The rest of the band was Russian and Polish. The Quartet played everything from Bouncing with Bud to Dolphin Dance.

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Jealousy somehow seems inappropriate at my age about his playing. I may get together with him for a session, he lives in NYC. What did seem appropriate to get jealous about was when we exchanged cards, he told me he would be back in NY in AUGUST! That would be how many cruises he'll be playing!

NICE GIG for an 18 year old! Now that made me jealous!

lb

He was such a great player and so advanced for his age.

It's always amazing to find those advanced, talented youth who seem to have it all together. It's invigorating to be around them... like an old soul in a kid's body.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

LB, that story almost made me jealous.

I did a quick excuse for a reharm on "The More I See You" tonight. Dave Horne mentioned earlier that he's doing a version of it, so I'll wait to put mine up after he does his. He's probably played it more recently than I have, so he should get the first shot.

SK,

There was a great player in the jazz band on board the Norwegian Pearl by the name of Colin DeJoseph. He was such a great player and so advanced for his age.

Yes, that kid sure can play. Here is a video of him 2 years ago when he had just graduated high school.- I can only imagine how much better he is now.

Yes, that kid sure can play. Here is a video of him 2 years ago when he had just graduated high school.- I can only imagine how much better he is now.

Yes Piano4U, as I told you SK!

Colin is VERY TALENTED, he knocked me out on the 1st tune on the boat right off the bat . . . ! I went WHAT!

He's an ear player, that's what he told me, but he's had alot of training also! Undeniable! He's a very happy kid too, makes you feel good talking to him, thank god!

lb

Guess I'll go ahead and put up "The More I See You." Hope Dave Horne can add his because this one is a contrasting style to the original feel. It'll be fun to see different ways the song can be played.

This is sort of a slow latin ballad, without the percussion instruments... a different groove from the other stuff I've posted here. I didn't play much on it - just a new version of the old tune. Oh, and afterwards I added fretless bass (patch) to it for something different.

http://www.divshare.com/download/4664861-5d5

Hardway, since I'm not really familiar with the original tune and since what you play seems to be rather basic, perhaps you could enlighten us as to what the reharmonizations actually were.

[quote=SK

This is sort of a slow latin ballad, without the percussion instruments... a different groove from the other stuff I've posted here. I didn't play much on it - just a new version of the old tune. Oh, and afterwards I added fretless bass (patch) to it for something different.

///////////////////////

This is my first ( or second- a while ago ) time I've been here.

Bravo

I am not sure of the purpose here- get gigs, be hired as an arranger- a fun club of colleagues, etc.?? I have gotten in a little trouble at the forum by not observing customs- so let me again simply say a sincere bravo to you.

http://www.divshare.com/download/4664861-5d5

The difference between what the most and the least learned people know is inexpressibly trivial in relation to that which is unknown