Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Reharm Room

SK

Yea Carlo, that was great. I really like both DH and SK's Where or When.

Steve, not 10 minutes ago my Dad was here. He's 84 now and lives just around the corner from me. He's just a few houses away. I brought him upstairs and played him some of your stuff that I have. When I told him who it was, his face lit up. He was listening to that one mp3 of you doing the long intro at some live gig you did and he looks over at me and says, "He's as good as anyone I've ever wanted to hear."

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Linwood, I'm floored when you tell me your dad remembers me. Please tell him "Hi" and a big "thank you". I remember him being a terrific person. It's great that you two live so close and can do things together. And thanks for telling me.

Carlo, thank you, and I really enjoyed your "All Of You." Very original approach (as always) and I loved the ending. I always like when songs end somewhere in the middle of an extended melody.

And no apologies necessary for "fusiony" sections, especially after my cacophonic tribute to fusion on the other page.

:deadhorse::rawk:

Wow ... both versions very different and, I really hate to say this, inspirational. As I'm listening I doing my very best to analyse the changes and at the same time thinking, why didn't I approach the tune like that.

This is an eye opener. Thanks!

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Cool rendition, Dave F! Almost a touch of Ives in there. I might try a more extreme one on W Or W soon, for the fun of it.

at the same time thinking, why didn't I approach the tune like that.
I don't think any of us could approach these songs the same way, even if we tried, which is why it's cool to compare. We can do multiple versions of the same song too, when you have different ideas.

Any good rendition stands on its own merits, regardless of how complex or simple. Your good version of "Where Or When' opened the door to us wanting to try new things on it. I'm sure you'll pull out more tunes I hadn't considered before. Your playing has a relaxed sense of order and an intelligent perspective.

SK, Where or When Again ... excellent!

The intro certainly got my attention.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

OK, here's my version of All of You. This is not a very creative version, it would be something in the manner I would play on a cocktail job - very mildly reharmonized. (This was the third take - the first one was exactly what I wanted but there was an electrical glitch on playback which marred it.)

http://members.home.nl/davehorne/mp3/AllOfYou.mp3

Nice playing, DH. Being musical is more important than just being artsy/craftsy "creative", as you well know.

"All Of You" is a great song, but I can't do a version of it. After hearing the local faculty at the VCU jazz department do it so often, like their jazz national anthem, I developed a mental block to it. I need a cure at reharm rehab.

BTW, I won't play that last weird version of "Where Or When" again or on a solo gig. (I wouldn't want to reharm myself into an early retirement.) It was just a one time thing to change its character for this thread - like "W Or W" on Halloween, in a mask.

I'm headed off to Alaska tomorrow on vacation, I thought I'd be stopping in Anchorage on the cruise and MidLifeCrisis and I had planned to hook up for a beer. Unfortunately I was looking at the wrong web page, my wife booked the cruise and we are only going as far north as Juneau, MidLife and I put in a rain check for the beer.

That being said, I'll try to get to the piano to put up my 'All the Things You Are' Re-Harm. It's still a little vague sounding but I will try to record it anyway after packing tonight if time allows.

One other thing...

I was listening to WKCR the other night and on the Musicians-Show they had a bassist who's name I can't pull out right now, he was Spanish. Anyway he played a Red Mitchell / Kenny Barron track from a 1986 album 'The Red Barron Duo' on the Storyville label. I really would love this CD for specific personal musical reasons, it's really a beauty, but I can only find a used copy for sale on a European Jazz CD site. Shipping would be alot, I may just bite but I'd thought I ask around.

It's just what I need right now for inspiration, it was recorded at Red Mitchell's house in Holland in his living room.

Anyway I thought this might be a good place to post this again and if anybody has a line on this recording or knows of someone who does or might, I'd be very willing to pay postage, materials and then some for a copy. I believe the track I had heard was the tune 'Namely You' (Gene DePaul, Johnny Mercer).

Anyway Bon Voyage all!

http://content.answers.com/main/content/img/amg/pop_albums/4/4/p/c44182g0pp0.jpg

Red Barron Duo Cd track recording samples . . .

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Ok I finally got around to this. My playing is a little hesitant on the takes because I haven't played it enough. I also have to figure out all the voicings and I really have to develop the habit of writing my ideas out in notation.

"All The Things You Are": Re-Harms. . .

'All Things' - Take #1

'All Things' - Take #2 (this was actually my 1st take)

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

SK,

Tommy Flanagan was a beautiful player wasn't he. Funny we had the same accountant. A year or so before he passed my accountant gave me the CD Tommy gave to him, his last one.

I'm not that familiar with Red Mitchell's playing but I like what I heard on the Red Barron CD.

I haven't really been listening to Kenny lately though. I was listening to him alot about 12 years ago and went down to Fat Tuesdays when it was still open. My wife and I sat right behind him, he played with little bandaids on about 6 finger tips. But the Red Barron Duo really got me going and I really related to Barron's playing on it.

lb

I saw Tommy Flanagan perform in a small restaurant\club in NYC about 15 years ago. He played very well and for him I'm sure it was just another job.

I remember thinking at that time, I couldn't play at the level he was playing, but I knew what he was playing. That made me feel good. (I can't listen to anything without trying to figure it out in my head.)

Then you probably saw him at Bradley's too, that small restaurant/club where he played regular weekends for years.

I remember thinking at that time, I couldn't play at the level he was playing, but I knew what he was playing. That made me feel good.

You just hit on something there. I remember that too, that his playing was always accessible and comprehensible... easy to hear... yet practically impossible for anyone to duplicate. He had a personality or unique spark in his style, which I used to analyze while listening to him. He was playing older music, but he always sounded fresh and lively, and I wanted to understand how he achieved it. I finally decided there is no answer, unless you're Tommy Flanagan, because he wasn't doing anything that any good bop player couldn't do.

(I can't listen to anything without trying to figure it out in my head.)
Ditto.

I'm working on The Nearness Of You by Hoagy Carmichael. I'll post that here in a few days.

I have an idea for this thread - let's all take a simple, really stupid tune and see what we can do with it. (I don't why but The Doors just popped into my head.) I sometimes will do this just for fun.

Another idea - let's give a classical treatment to a regular tune. I've worked up a few quasi arrangements of tunes and I'll eventually post them here.

Later ....

I have an idea for this thread - let's all take a simple, really stupid tune and see what we can do with it. (I don't why but The Doors just popped into my head.) I sometimes will do this just for fun.

I like that idea, and I have also done that. Sort of a Bartok-ian approach (that's a stretch, I know)

How about Mister Sandman? :)

I'm up for the idea, Dave. :thu: A list of possible tunes or one specific suggestion for a "dumb tune" would be helpful. Or just post one of your versions to start it off.

You mentioned The Doors, so my first idea is "Hello, I Love You, Won't You Tell Me Your Name?" :)

Same goes for a classical rendition - name one or post an example.

I'll have to abstain from "Mr. Sandman", as it was already included it in that "bossaquarium."

Actually, I have done that several times with my students, to demonstrate the power of jazz harmony. I usually take some silly melodic Italian song, give it some kind of Bill Evans treatment, and 99% of times, the students will study their harmony much more diligently from that moment on. ;) They go, "Ooohh... please teach me that!" :D

I'm interested in any challenge, as long as I find a little time to do it.

Another idea - let's give a classical treatment to a regular tune. I've worked up a few quasi arrangements of tunes and I'll eventually post them here.

Please do. Also see "Lucy in the Sky with Bartok", posted earlier in the thread. :)

Since there seems a recent trend in the thread to post non-reharmonized songs (no reharm in the reharm room? :freak:), here are some rather gratuitous, free-time meanderings around Horace Silver's "Peace". Not really worthy, but that's what I played tonight, so here it is.

around Peace

Yeah, beautiful meanderings on "Peace", Carlo. Really enjoyed it. One fast double time line in particular (almost 2/3rds of the way through) caught my ear because of the different paths it followed.

And ANOTHER song I'd forgotten about! Thanks for sharing that.

That made me recall Bill Evans' old song "Turn Out The Stars." I ran through it just now. Since it's so definitively Evans and another era, I may not do a version, but what a masterpiece.

Great playing on Peace, Carlo!

I have to confess not knowing that tune. I'll have to give that tune a look as I always enjoyed Horace Silver. My very first record copy was Song For My Father.

Thanks everybody. It was really just late-night wandering, trying to remember the changes. :freak::D

That made me recall Bill Evans' old song "Turn Out The Stars." I ran through it just now. Since it's so definitively Evans and another era, I may not do a version, but what a masterpiece.

"Turn out the Stars" is one of my absolute favorite songs of all time. You're right, it's so Evans that it's difficult to conceive a personal version. Now that you mentioned it, though, I might try one in a few days. :)

Dave F. - I never heard of Stefano Ferretti. I'll try to visit his MySpace.

I just knocked off two more tunes - The Blue Room in a more classical setting and The Nearness of You. I first learned The Queerness of You when I was 17 or so working with older guys. (No, no, no ....) I was forced to learn their tunes and fortunately they had good taste. I shudder to think what changes I used 40 years ago.

I'm really creating these ditties for my web site and am killing two birds by posting them here as well. Enjoy.

http://members.home.nl/davehorne/mp3.htm