Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Reharm Room

SK

SK,

Great craziness on the tunes! The FP4 sounds very good especially the piano!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve, you have big ideas and dangerous chops. An explosive cocktail! :D We've heard the refined, elegant pianist - and now, a Medeskian mad scientist surfaces...!! You're nuts, in a wonderful way. :)

Speaking about "Why Shouldn't I" - not only I wasn't familiar with that song, but I've noticed that it isn't on any of my various real/fake books! Could someone point me to a leadsheet for this song?

Carlo and LB, I went out on a limb there to be a little different, so thanks a lot for the words of support. This really is the most "solo piano" I've ever played (publicly) in this thread, so nothing I post is in the realm of what I normally do in trio or quartet situations, and this didn't either. :)

I think "Why Shouldn't I" is a cool old tune, and I'm a little surprised it's so rarely played. Carlo, I chose it because you're doing a Cole Porter CD. I thought you may have a bonafide version ready to post back, as I'd really like to hear what you'd do with it.

Come to think of it, I don't know that I've ever seen a chart on this tune either. I learned it years ago by ear, and while my chords are right, the melody may be slightly different, as I played it in the interpretational style of what I'd originally heard.

So I could write the chords out and hook up my scanner if you want, although the tune is very accessible and easy to hear and you may have it by now. I'll see if I can find a chart of it on the net too.

BTW, on the top of my solo, I quoted "My Way" since an 'unnamed' member here sent me a reharm he had done of that. The quote was a message of hope that he will add his good playing to this thread.

And hey ORGAN players, you should post something here too! That's another reason why I faked organ for a few bars. This isn't just for piano - let's hear some REAL organ!

The is the best I've found of it - it claims "free" digital download but also says $1.95.(?)

http://search.musicnotes.com/?q=Why+Shouldn%27t+I%3F&search_id=Top&hl=n&x=47&y=10

Looks like Bud Powell, Lena Horne and Sinatra recorded it, among others. Now that I've seen the lyrics, it's no surprise it isn't played much.

SK,

You inspired me and as there is a lull here in the room I've been trying to decide if my 'All The Things You Are' re-harm is any good. At my lesson last week though my 'coach' heard it and said it's similar to a re-harm Oscar Peterson had for the tune. Then he played it and damn if it wasn't close to some degree.

I'm trying to find the time to get to the piano with my H2 to record it and post it! Between work and gigging and practice it's difficult but I will try this weekend!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I think "Why Shouldn't I" is a cool old tune, and I'm a little surprised it's so rarely played. Carlo, I chose it because you're doing a Cole Porter CD. I thought you may have a bonafide version ready to post back, as I'd really like to hear what you'd do with it.

Well, thanks a million, Steve. I'm always pleased to know new Porter songs, and possibly add them to my series. Surely there's no shortage: The list is scary! He wrote literally thousands of songs.

BTW this Porter thing is not a CD project yet; I've done it at concerts and seminars. (I have two albums to finish this summer, so everything else must go after those). Incidentally, I used those seminars not only to talk about Cole Porter, but also as an introduction to modern reharmonization of standards. :D

I tried to follow the link you gave in the other post, but making it work looked a bit cumbersome (downloading and installing a program, etc.)... thank you anyway for taking the time! I'm sure I can locate a leadsheet or a recording for "Why Shouldn't I" - now I'm curious to learn it!

Sorry for not having posted much lately - I'm busy as hell these days, even more than usual. But I have a couple of things in the boiler for you. Soon. :)

Carlo, I missed a few days in there too, and I'm likely to miss a few more this weekend.

Let's see... I could write it and set up my scanner, or just put the chords here. I've never 'typed' a song before. Two beats per chord until the bridge:

Why Shouldn't I

First 'A'

Cmaj7 A7/ Dm G7/ Cmaj7 Am/ D(over Gb bass) Fm

Em Am/ Ab7+11 G7/ Em7 A7/ Ab7+11 G7

2nd 'A'

Em11 A7/ Dm7 G7/ C6 Am/ F#m13 B7

Emaj7 C#m7/ F#7 B7/Fmaj7 E7/ Bb7 A7

Bridge

Dm/ Em7 A7/ Dm/ Eb dim./ Em7/ Am11 D7

Dm13 Eb9/ Dm7 G7

Last 'A'

Cmaj7 Eb dim/ Dm11 G7/ Gm7 C9/ Fmaj7 Eb7

Dm7 Ab7+5/ G7/ C Eb7/ Abmaj7 Dbmaj7

Last two bars are a turnaround. Put this with the simple melody on my link and you should have it.

Wow Steve, thanks for taking the time to type all that stuff.

As I said, getting the music from the site you linked to looks a bit complicated to me... but I'm sure I can at least get an audio version and transcribe the melody from that. Then I'll just add your changes for an excellent 'leadsheet'!

Thanks again! :)

You're welcome - not a big deal at all. There are always a few passing changes I don't put in charts, but you're 'the king of passing changes', so you'll have plenty to work with. The older style I used on it didn't allow for much experimentation.

Look forward to a new version by you, if you do.

I do think my melody is probably accurate, but checking couldn't hurt.

I finally got around to adding a mp3 file to my web site. The tune is On A Slow Boat To China and the location is ...

http://members.home.nl/davehorne/mp3.htm

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Thanks for the nice words guys. If I would have known this shit was so easy I would have recorded stuff years ago. I'm using Audacity (thanks to Yoozer who recommended it) and a simple stereo 1/4" 'Y' to a stereo mini. I'm using my wife's laptop.

I'll be posting more stuff here if only to quiet gangsu. :)

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Glad you've made good on your 'threat', Dave. :thu:

Nice sounding recording, very nice groove in the bass lines, authentic time period style and good sense of time. Smooth. The little flits of fast lines are fun - like something else could break out at any moment. The minor chord at the end was your signature DNA.

Thanks for posting that. And if I may say so, it sounds "musical" - but don't take that the wrong way. (I'm not a "chick/ass kicking classical player".) :)

Yeah, it's pretty easy to do, which is why we have so many pages of this stuff. Encore.

Now kanker, your turn.

Hallelujah! Welcome to the Room, Dave.

You sound as a veritable jazzer, with deep roots in swing and a 'bebop' harmonic sense. I can see your roots in stylists like Tommy Flanagan and maybe Teddy Wilson. Very good. And more, please!

Oh, and the GT sounds great; I had never heard one before.

I'll be posting more stuff here if only to quiet gangsu. :)

oh my gosh. :D Are you thanking me?

Well, FUN to hear you play, Dave! And Slow Boat, no less.

This is what I'd call popular music. Effervescent and sparkling. The most rhythmically challenged would find the beat.

However. :) this doesn't strike me as a reharm. Any bass player could jump in and feel right at home, no? You've done cool things with the open spaces though. And I do like the surprise closing chord.

Not complaining! Glad the Y-cable did the trick. And Audacity looks friendly (I took a look), which you can't always say about freeware. :thu:

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

I finally got around to adding a mp3 file to my web site. The tune is On A Slow Boat To China ...

Excellent DH. :thu:

Glad you found that 'digital tape deck'. The sh*t (recording) is easy when technology and time align. :):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Here's another just for gangsu since she stated this is a reharm thread. The tune is Where of When. What I played was very simple but it is a reharmonization ... at least a few bars are.

I'll probably go back and redo this as I left out one melody note - a repeated note.

http://members.home.nl/davehorne/mp3.htm

Nice playing, Dave. What a great tune. I think the tendency with this one might be to wallow in nostalgia but you kept a clear head. And again your ending surprised me. Like a wave from Hermes. Or somebody. :D

If you're going to redo it, I put in a request for the lyrics. Don't you live with a vocalist? :idea:

Oh. And thanks. :)

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Very nice, Dave. I could do a new one tonight, inspired by your style. :thu:

Dave (Ferris) - thanks for the info about the Grand Touch: I know what it is, and that Garson is using it, etc... I've just never seen one in person. Hearing it in its 'naked' (solo) sound in Dave's (Horne!) tunes is a wonderful way to 'demo' it. :)

Marino, re the GranTouch - it is slightly disappointing to hear it though its built in speakers. I always play through headphones which, of course, is the same exact sound you hear as well. It's not a perfect sample, but it's damn close.

There are three tones (I'll have to double check) that are slightly out of tune but only when the damper pedal is depressed. The GT2 and the GT1 (which I own) use the same exact samples.

Dave, so the GranTouch is a home digital grand style piano, right?

It sounds good. One gig I do provides a Kawai home digital grand. It cost them $11,000, but leaves me rather unsatisfied. There's also a Roland home grand - the RG-3 (I believe) that incorporates the so-called "Ivory feel" and escapement of the 700GX. Could be interesting to check out.

Here's a real quickie of 'Where Or When' with no plan, which will be obvious. Not much of a reharm per se, but some extra chords thrown in.

I kept in the the same key. This tune could be taken to the extremes and probably deserves that treatment, but for now I tried to keep it in the same character. Just a little different.

http://www.divshare.com/download/4553689-da6

SK, nice treatment of that tune!

The GranTouch is a hybrd piano - a real grand piano action with real hammers and real grand piano action but no strings. Instead of having wool heads for the hammers, Yamaha uses a neoprene type material which strikes a similar type material for the feel of hitting 'strings'. I was told the action comes from a six foot grand.

Yamaha made the GT to look like a small grand piano but the casing of the piano is metal whch looks like polished ebony.

Thanks Dave and Dave. I threw a couple of odd chords in; not as pretty as Dave's version.

I just checked the GT - it's what I thought it was. Nice. Similar style to the Kawai I'm playing at this club, but your recorded sample sounds better.

I'm trying to pick one out for another club owner who wants to buy one. The top Roland digital grand sells for $27,995, but I'm not thrilled with the prospect that some of these pianos play themselves. Maybe the club owner won't notice that feature. :)

I don't think this thread should be limited to only re-harms.....just good music.

Exactly. I pretty much stopped doing reharms in the last 3 songs I did here.

I'd prefer to think of it as our "versions" of songs from here out, reharm or not.

When that gets old, we'll move on to original compositions. If that ever got old, we always have FREE improvisation! :D

Steve, I absolutely love your "Where or When". Short, witty and effective, with the right balance of old and new. Applause. :)

As for me, despite being tired as hell, I wanted to do something tonight. So I scribbled a new reharm for "All of You" - one of the very famous Porter songs I had not included in my series (yet). As an homage to the delicate swing recently played by SK and DH, and in an attempt to refresh the old melody, I took it as a medium-swing rather than a ballad.

Please forgive the fusiony intro and ending... :freak::D

All of You

And - DF and SK, I completely agree about this thread being about our 'personal versions' of song, not just "planned" reharms. Personally, my main method so far has been to play the tune a few times since I find a progression I like, then record the tune with these chords in mind, but free to play with voicings and change the harmony further along the way.

That said, I love to hear other people's approaches; it's just inspirational to me. :)