Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Preamp tubes

Tea For One

I have been trying to tone down my Univalve by using tubes with a lower dist rating than 12ax7's. I'm using pedals for gain in place of cranking my amp. I bought some Nos Rca black plate 5963's and they sound really sweet being pushed by a pedal.

Do any of you guys have a fav lower gain tube you could recommend??

Thanks

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12AT7 will help...or a 12AU7 will really do the trick.

Right on. I have a shoe box full of tubes from over the years. I think I have a few clear top 12au7's from an Ampeg that I bought from a pawn shop a long time ago.

Thanks alot.

I prefer 5751s for lowering the gain. They fall in between a 12AX7 and the AT7 or AU7.

Here's a listing of the gain factor for various preamp tubes.

Yeah...the 5751 is another choice...though it doesn't drop the gain as dramatically as the AT or AU...but experimentation is in order. :thu:

For the Univalve...

You might try the lower gain tube in the V2/Driver stage....rather than the V1/Input stage.

In other words...leave a 12AX7 in V1...and try an 12AU7 in V2.

I've done that in my Flexi...used the AU in the third stage...and it does have an effect, but you can still get a nice push up front.

Hey...that's the beauty of the THD amps...you can pretty much close you eyes and swap tubes out 'til the cows come home! :grin:

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

I prefer 5751s for lowering the gain. They fall in between a 12AX7 and the AT7 or AU7.

Here's a listing of the gain factor for various preamp tubes.

Now that's what i'm talking about!! :) :)

Thanks a ton dude.

No problemo, glad to help.

I'm looking to get a Univalve and I'm just curious what took you in the direction of using pedals for gain instead of the gain capabilities of the amp. From everything I've heard, the Univalve has tons of controllable gain at very reasonable volumes.
Yum, Yum! Eat em up!

I'm looking to get a Univalve and I'm just curious what took you in the direction of using pedals for gain instead of the gain capabilities of the amp. From everything I've heard, the Univalve has tons of controllable gain at very reasonable volumes.

It's one of the finest amps I have ever had for sure. And it has loads of amazing gain. Very touch sensitive, and cleans up nice when you roll back your volume knob. I'm just trying to clean it up a bit at higher levels. I just bought a Nos Siemens 6v6, a Philips 6l6, and the 5963's, so I'm gonna use a pedal to push the amp some. Im trying for a Fender vibe. I've been using a Sylvania 6ca7 (big bottle) and 2 Mullard 12xa7's for that "balls out" Marshall lead tone. I'm not sure I'll be able to clean it up as much as I want. But either way it's a tone machine. If you have the chance to get one, I'm sure you'll really dig it.

There is now ANOTHER ONE on eBay for $500 BIN...and there's also a YellowJacket and some spare tubes included in the deal!

Move quick...the one that was there the other day for $500 BIN disappeared in like a few hours.

http://cgi.ebay.com/THD-Univalve-Amplifier-w-YellowJacket-and-extra-tubes_W0QQitemZ110235333899QQihZ001QQcategoryZ10171QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Archived