Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Notation question

SailTheKeys

Gulp! My first post to a forum that consistently brings me 5-star info...

I've been looking at some notation books in a local music store and other places and I have not yet found what a long square bracket-like sign means. (Immediately to the left of «R.H») The top part is on the E line (of a piano partition) of the upper staff and the bottom part rests on the D line of the lower staff. Both parts are linked by a long thin vertical line.

Any idea of what it means and how I'm supposed to play?

Second question: any suggestions on a good notation reference book (preferably less than a 100...pages)

Many thanks!

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj184/SailTheKeys/besame.jpg

Music is like sailing, less the PFD, the wetsuit and the gloves!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It means that the D and the following notes in the bass-clef (the f-a and the e-b-fifth) are played with the right hand (that's why it says R.H. right to the bracket), while the left hand only plays the deep d and g...

you can also see that looking at the ways the note-stems(?) in the bass-clef are positioned. those showing down mean L.H., those showing up mean R.H.

No idea on a notation book though. I only know a book about arrangement&orchestration, but it is in German, so it won't help you much, I guess. Maybe you could look into some music dictionary.

The Dromb Bopper

Vielen Danke, Herr Leberwurst!

That's what I was playing (the right hand). Actually, the last note of the piece (scanned image) also shows a R.H. , but I cut it off when I reframed the image.

Auf wieder hören... :thu:

• 3 weeks later...

David,

many thanks for the reference. I'll also look at the other titles from your Amazon reference.

BTW: interesting compositions on your Myspace site. I'll get back to them later.

Archived