Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Band Demo

Kramer Ferrington III.

I know I've posted this already in the GP forum, but hey... :)

Anyway, yesterday we finally got our demo back from the friend who recorded us. If you'd like to have a listen, all the tracks are up on http://www.myspace.com/thischarmingmystery

We're a three piece, so the bass plays a pretty important role in all the songs. Everything was recorded live to stereo so there are some occasional fluffs which didn't warrant scrapping a take, but overall, I'm pretty happy with the results.

And, as I said to the GP forum, we really don't know what style we play, so any comments or definitions would be welcome. :D It's a lot easier to get gigs if you can tell a bar booker, "We're a such-and-such band" or, "We sound like..." If we were a cover band, it'd be easy enough to just give the booker the set list, but doing originals as we do, that's not an option.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A friend of mine was in a similar situation some years ago.. they ended up defining their sound as "Damned A Go-Go". Yet, the "Somewhat different Rock´n Roll" motto in the MySpace pic applies very well, I think. Loved "Kilimanjaro". What is it.. the ABG? ;)

My favourite up to now? Peasant dance. :D

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

A friend of mine was in a similar situation some years ago.. they ended up defining their sound as "Damned A Go-Go".

Yeah, it's such a stupid situation because you're expected to be able to define yourself in a word or two, for club owners and bookers and all that and... and well, we don't know how to. I even had it come up at a job interview (my CV mentions that I play bass in a band) and when they asked "so what sort of band is it?" I looked like a total idiot. :D

My favourite up to now? Peasant dance. :D

Cool, thanks! :) That one always makes me think of those Pieter Brueghels pictures of peasants dancing.

Portobello Rd is called that because it's a bit like strolling through a street market and hearing Indian music playing (well, the guitar sounds like a snake charmer anyway!) I'm the only one in the band that has been there, but it's a lovely name for a place anyway.

Always good to put a couple of beverages - foods in the genre too like 'cappuccino soul-folk' or 'deep-fried organic cheese rock' not that yours sounds like either.

I enjoyed the music muchly.

Somewhat different Rock´n Roll? Alt-rock?

You could try this site:

http://justice.loyola.edu/~mcoffey/ce/music/

Music genre name generator

but I think that site is unimaginative and unpoetic

I'll keep thinking

The bass tone reminds me of early stranglers. The guitar sounds a bit weedy and 60's-ish compared to the muscle of the bass.

Perhaps a lot more reverb would assist the guitar tone and it's freeform. And er perhaps a tune-up wouldn't go a miss: )

Needs some polish though Vince. I would get the drummer to lay off the ride as it is incessant in the Peasant Dance, the song which I prefer to Portobello Road. In fact as the bass and guitar are so busy it may be better for the drummer to hold back a bit. Imagine the space that Stuart Copeland would bring to the party.

Enjoyed listening.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

The bass tone reminds me of early stranglers. The guitar sounds a bit weedy and 60's-ish compared to the muscle of the bass.

Perhaps a lot more reverb would assist the guitar tone and it's freeform. And er perhaps a tune-up wouldn't go a miss: )

Ah, yes. The guitar. :evil:

The guitar is both a cross I must bear and one of the defining parts of the band. You see, he hasn't been playing long (a year, perhaps) so the challenge has always been to come up with interesting stuff to do around the limited guitar.

I definitely agree about the tone too. Much to my consternation, he doesn't even own an overdrive, so the tonal options are rather limited. I had to give him my digital delay on extended loan and even though it made an amazing difference to the sound, he still forgets to use it, sometimes. I don't think he's even aware of "tone" as a concept (and monkey on his back) as yet.

He's definitely getting better though! :)

Needs some polish though Vince. I would get the drummer to lay off the ride as it is incessant in the Peasant Dance, the song which I prefer to Portobello Road.

Interesting point. I'll bring it up next rehearsal.

I definitely agree it needs more polish (I fluff a note right at the start of Peasant Dance #5 :eek: and the high notes sound totally out :sick:) but, because it was live to stereo, there's not much I can do about it. If we'd had the luxury of multitracking, it'd be a very different animal indeed.

Thanks for the comments! :D

Yeah and my comments are not intended as critisism but are hopefully constructive - you seem to have taken it that way which is great.

The guitarist has a future if he has got that far in a year.

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

The guitarist has a future if he has got that far in a year.

Davo

Wow, thanks! :) I'll tell him that: sometimes, the guitarist says that he feels like the "real" band is the rhythm section and that he's just a guy that noodles on the top. He needs all the encouragement he can get.

You might go with "progressive blues indie".

Blues is generic and covers most music, the rest is self evident.

Yeah, good call. Most people like blues (of some sort), and by the late 1960s, "blues" was pretty much whatever you wanted it to be. :)

Nice tunes. Music is currently stale. It will take this kind of work to help push it into new directions.

Wow, thank you very much. :o

Well... "Blues" in the same way as Cream could describe themselves as a blues band and keep a straight face.

The term has become quite general (debased, even) these days and if you mean "blues blues" you have to add an adjective. "Blues" can be anything, really. How many pop songs of the 50s and 60s had the word "blues" in the title while having a very tenuous connection the blues?

"Delta Blues" means blues. "Chicago Blues" means "blues". But plain old "blues" can mean anything these days.

"Garage Rock" as I understand it, tends to be more reliant on the 12-bar blues structure and has a more of a 60s sound, with a noticeable use of fuzz. Mind you, I'm probably too influenced by the "Nuggets" box set.

But I would agree in part: the music does have a ragged sort of sound that is rather garagey. I quite liked the term "Avant Garage", which was invented for Pere Ubu, but sadly, we're not that "avant".

Yeah, good call. Most people like blues (of some sort), and by the late 1960s, "blues" was pretty much whatever you wanted it to be. :)

True, it works in most situations. I have dubbed my band's music "rootsy rockabilly blues" because "country" has a certain twang to it that sits less well with certain crowds. Will listen to the tunes this evening, I'm at work right now.

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

just took a listen - interesting. The description on your myspace seems about right...

If your guitarist is having trouble coming up with ideas, have him listen to more surf music - that would seem to fit.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

It's more like Indigenous Folk Rock. Parts of the tunes sound almost aboriginal. Its definitely got that Southern hemisphere sound. They're on my IPod now TA!

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Sounds good!

What to call it...I'm not super familiar with their work but Portobello road and Monday Morning Traffic reminds me of the Minutemen, so I'd throw 'rock' in with whatever you come up with. But people call them 'punk'.... Seems That Way is sort of new wave punk - reminds me of Depeche Mode.

I enjoyed it - very creative.

Avant wave rock?

Have you guys considered putting in a synth player? I think some layered keyboards could really expand your soundscapes.

Agreed! Something like that would really do the trick. I think you guys should hardline your genre as "somewhat different rock and roll", as on your myspace picture, because frankly I think that describes you as aptly as anything else. If you force it on your audience long enough, they'll start saying it on their own and start to admire it.

I really like the bassline to Portobello Road. It'll be fun to watch this band develop.

p.s.: Was Billy supposed to go back into the studio and lay down vox over the instrumentals, or are they instrumentals? Just curious.

Archived