Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

powered speakers for roland rd-700sx

ferran rc

Hello,

I've been using my Roland Rd-700sx with a Roland KC-500 for some months. I'm happy with the sound of the KC-500, but last week I connected the RD-700sx to a pair of HIFI speakers and Wow! it sounds much better in stereo! So i'm thinking about buying a pair of powered speakers.

And here start my doubts:

- I will use them at home, But I also want to use them live, as the main PA for the RD-700sx in small clubs, and as stereo monitors in bigger gigs (and send the outputs of the powered speakers to the main PA).

- I play 60-70% acoustic piano sounds, 20-30% rhodes/wurlies, and 10-20% hammond and other sounds.

Which is the better speaker size for these applications?

The KC-500 has a 15" speaker, but if I had a pair of powered speakers, could I buy 10 or 12"?

The most important for me is good sound quality for the acoustic piano sounds, I don't need lots of power (I'm satisfied with the 150W of the KC-500...).

It's also important the size (to fit in my car...)

I will read the "Powered speakers Thread", but I wanted to know your opinions about the minimun speaker size to get a good bass range of the acoustic and electric piano sounds.

One option could be to buy another KC-500 (or KC-550), but they are very heavy...

And for the moment, EV-SXA360 are too expensive... :cry:

I'll be grateful to hear your opinions and suggestions.

Thanks very much,

Ferran

PD: Sorry if my english is not very good...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

15 inch speakers? My Bose 802s use 4 and a half inch drivers. Of course the trick is to use more than one of them.

My home stereo system (Cambridge Sound) uses eight inch speakers for their sub woofers and they sound great when cranked.

While bigger might usually be better, bigger is almost always heavier.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

A good 12 inch design certainly won't leave you wanting but I guess the standard thing is, you have to wrap your ears round some of the potential speakers you're looking at buying.

I haven't heard it wrote about much on this forum but you may want to look into the importance of going with a bi-amplified speaker, whether it sports a 12" or 15" woofer. I did for my monitor speaker and i'm happy with my results.

Archived