Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stingray basses

Barks

I am considering a couple of deals at the moment on some Stingray basses. I quite fancy owning one for a while to see if it suits me. (Mild case of GAS! :rolleyes:)

I nearly bought one a few years ago and the failed deal still haunts me...!

My question is about the relative merits of going for a pre-Ernie Ball bass as opposed to a fairly new model.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as ever.

Thanks in advance,

Neil :)

'The most important thing is to settle on a bass then commit to it. Get to know your bass inside and out and play it in every situation you can.' Marcus Miller

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've owned two Musicman basses. A 4 string Sterling and a Stingray 5. I eventually sold the Sterling simply because I thought it was silly having two basses that sounded exactly alike - one just having fewer strings.

The Stingray 5 was one of the only basses that survived my recent herd thinning if that tells you anything.

I've played the old late 70's Musicman basses and they are quite nice. I don't think they are really worth a premium price though. The new ones that you can buy off the wall at the local music shop are just as good.

Yes, the Ernie Ball stuff is just great. The pre-EB market is really steep; it's mostly dominated by collectors, I reckon. For a bass to play, check out the new ones. Especially with the extra pickup options now available!

Plus, Ernie Ball's service is brilliant.

The Stingray is great. Don't count out the Sterling, though (for a 4-string). It's the same bass, but (a) it has a series/parallel/single coil switch, which is nice, and (b) a "J" type neck. Dishy!

I have a Stingray 4-banger. It's really great for doing that thing it does. I seriously doubt the older ones sound appreciably better.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Yes, I too used to have a Sterling fretless (in the very same finish as Jeremy's, coincidentally). I sold it; I think I may have actually made a little on the deal... ;)

And I sold it only because of an international move. I'd gladly have another.

i am in love with the sterling. it is wrong that i don't have one.

Indeed, sir.

What he said.

I loves me my StingRay5 fretless. I haven't played a pre-EB StingRay so I can't help w/ the comparison. I would like to finger a Sabre one day, though.

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I loves me my OLP MM3, which is a cheaper version of the Stingray 5. I got the Tony Levin signature model, with the active electronics, and it has the greatest neck I've ever played on a % string bass. The GC guy tweaked it a bit for me when it cane out of the box, and it hasn't given me a moment of trouble since.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I've bought and sold quite a few basses since I started playing and the only constant has been my Sterling which is easily the best instrument I've owned.

I can't comment on the Pre-EB either but what I would say is that there are tons of great options on the new ones. As was previously mentioned with the pickups but also the matching headstocks and the new pickguards which are only visual but dammit they look great.

Now theres three of you in a band, youre like a proper band. Youre like the policemen.

The Stingray 5 is my dream bass. Every one I have had in my hands has been, well, dreamy. I should own one but really don't play enough (make enough money off of music) to justify the expense.

Someday . . .

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

I purchased a Singray 5 HH and now my Fender P just collects dust. In my opinion it has a great feel, is built solid and is extremely versatile due to the range of sounds.
"The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know" by Me

I've got a 1996 Stringray5 that I've had since 1996. It's indeed a most excellent bass, whether you consider price or not. I actually don't play it very much at all anymore...but even with all my bass-flipping I haven't been able to bring myself to sell it, or at least not yet.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

here is an alternative to consider: buy a fender american whatever and have a MM type pickup put on it. you'll come out financially ahead.

i have a vintage MM and as much as i love it i would not consider buying one of the new ones because they are just to expensive.

you might also consider one of the OLPs. for the money they are a real deal and like i suggested above, it's a cheap enough instrument should you decide to put a pickup upgrade on it.

Archived