Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP DafDuc

teyshablue

I did a google search and found this ...

20 February 2008

RIP: JAY RICKETTS

I just received an e-mail from the family of Jay Ricketts, founder of the Yahoo group Contemporary Catholic Music, as well as member of a Yahoo group I once founded, Lit-Mus-Comp, as well as author of the blog St. Cecilia Was Here, announcing Jay's death as of early this morning. My prayers and condolensces to Jay's family and friends, as well as for the repose of Jay's soul. The cause of his death was unknown at this time. He was 52. [end]

He was only 52. Sad.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Nothing dies until all that it has touched has died, until all of the good it has done has ended." - Anonymous

I've always found comfort in this verse. May all the good will DafDuc extended on this forum, and in his life, continue to live through all of us and his family. God bless.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Wow! So young! DafDuc was a very nice guy. His posts always had a relaxed and jovial tone, and from his moniker you could tell that he didn't take himself too seriously.

This is a shock as well as a BIG, BIG loss for our online community.

Deepest condolences to Jay's family. He must have been a heck of a nice guy to spend time with.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Like everyone else here, I'm shocked and deeply saddened by Jay's passing.

I'll miss his friendly words and happy spirit, and his legacy will live on in this forum and elsewhere for a long time to come.

Please add my sincere condolences to his other friends and family.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I still find it a bit peculiar to make "friends" via the Internet...

No you don't, Noah. :)

The meetup in Richmond sealed it for you - and many of us. The guys that we got a chance to meet there all turned out to be quality folk. It didn't surprise me... and I don't think it surprised you.

Although it may still be kinda new to be introduced via a forum like this and later meet someone in person, it's just a very cool extension, because we all wanted to be there.

And we ate & drank draft beer & played music together - all afternoon long. :thu:

I never met Jay, but I know how much he meant to Forceman and the guys who jammed with him last year at his home. I know how much they all were looking forward to attending again this year. I figure he must be pretty cool.

We will miss Jay.

Yep.

Peace be with ya, DafDuc.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Jay, 2006 his Jam weekend

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a319/steforce/100_0548.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a319/steforce/100_0545.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a319/steforce/100_0540.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a319/steforce/100_0539.jpg

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

I hope I'm not out of line in saying this, but I think it would be really cool if the gang who would have done the "Central/Midwest forum hang/jam, Memorial Weekend" could get together and do something together around that time in Jay's honor. I'm sure he'd be pleased if y'all did.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Hi, everyone. I received the email earlier today, and have been too stunned to post about it here. He was a true gentleman, and a lot of fun to have over for barbecues and jams. I know I'll miss him.

Today, I was looking for a card to send to his wife, and I just about broke down and cried in the store.

I'll miss you, Daf!

Same here, Darren--same here..

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Geesh, that's sad and a real shock. I pray for his family and loved ones. He will also be missed on this forum.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

When I saw the first post I just assumed it was a name change for the forum... but hell.. :(

y'know... seeing pictures of people really puts things into context... otherwise its very easy to perceive people as nothing more than a bunch of ASCII characters... I think the internet still has a way to go in that regard.

RIP Jay.. we never met in the physical world but you contributed to this forum in a way which made me and lots of others remember you.

Ah man. I didn't know the guy, but reading the obit. that D. Horne posted, then seeing the pictures of him, then reading Tom's words about friends online, I am on the verge of tears here.

If anyone has some great memories of Daf they'd like to share, I would love to hear them so I can join in mourning and paying tribute to this good man.

-Bobby

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Jays Funeral will be held at St. Cornelius Church in Dryden Michigan at 3pm on Monday February 25, 2008.

At Muir funeral home in Imlay city

Sat-3-8

Sun- 2-5 & 6-8

Thank you

The family of Jay Ricketts

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

I'm so sorry. My sincerest condolences to his wife and family, and to his personal friends here on the forum.

I feel privileged to have "met" Jay, and I also feel ripped off that I'll never get to tear up some David Haas together ... I will say that he touched my life and that of our Anglican congregation here in Timmins with his music. Continued thanks, Daf.

I'm reminded of every bit of conversation we shared on this forum. He will be remembered - for his generosity, kindness, humour, and faith in God. RIP Jay.

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Archived