Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lexicon Omega or Mackie Onyx Satellite?

ferran rc

Hello,

I'm looking for an USB/Fireware audio interface, between 150-200 euros, to connect my keyboards to the computer and "begin" a small home studio.

I've read good opinions of the Lexicon Omega and the Mackie Onyx Satellite. I can find both at 160 euros.

Which of these 2 interfaces do you think has better audio quality?

The lexicon can record 4 tracks at the same time, and has also Midi In and Out. And the Mackie has more outputs, and the satellite unit (and maybe better preamps?)...

Does anyone have any of these? Which one do you think offer better quality and stability?

Are there better options between 150-200 euros? ($250-300).

I'd be grateful to read your opinions and suggestions,

Thanks very much!

Ferran

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I own a smaller version of Lexicon - the Alpha model. The sound quality is exellent, and the features are sufficient, but the driver is rather slow - you can't really go down to latencies low enough for playing VSTi's live. Also, Alpha doesn't support 24/96 format, don't know about Omega, though.

Lexicon's preams are nice (but again, Alpha doesnt have fantom power, so check the Omega's specs).

Recording multiple tracks is useful if you want to record a live band or track drums. But IMO, 4 tracks aren't enough anyway.

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

I have the Lexicon Lambda, but I'm not sure where on the food chain of interfaces that falls. It's done a very good job for me when recording the FP4 piano sample, and on rare occasion, multi-tracks. I haven't tried the Mackie to compare, but I do run the Lexicon with a Mackie mixer for more controls.

The Lexicon Omega works just great for me. Haven't tried the Mackie. Either one should be fine for getting those KB signals into the DAW. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Question for the Lex people. Have they been keeping up in terms of OS updates? I have a Lexicon Studio out in the garage that's useless because they stopped supporting it. IIRC, the replacement product was dealt the same fate. I swore off Lexicon computer products because of this.

Do the newest products support Vista and Lepoard?

Busch.

Well, my audio interface (Lexicon Alpha) is a new product - released in 2007, so no support history yet. Haven't tried it on Vista, because I haven't tried Vista yet. But it works fine with latest winXP updates. Lexicon even released a driver update some time ago. Didn't seem to change anything. Maybe they've added Vista support?

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

Thanks for your opinions!

Looking at some "review sites" and online stores, I've also found the Presonus Firebox. Very good owner opinions and reviews.

What do you think?

I'm a little confused, because there are also USB mixers, like the Yamaha MW10c.

Now I don't have any mixer, but I think that probably in the future I will want to add a mixer to my "new home studio" to mix different sources.

With an USB mixer, Could I get the same audio quality and features as with the Lexicon, the Mackie or the Presonus?

Are they comparable?

I'm sorry for so many questions, but I need a little help and advice... :)

Thanks!

Ferran

The Presonus Firebox is a higher rated interface. It has more inputs and preamps.

Now this may confuse you more: I bought the Lexicon from Sam Ash, found out it was used and took it back, and got the Presonus Firebox. For my keyboard and iMac, the Lexicon actually sounded better, so I took the Firebox back and re-ordered the Lexicon. That sounds nuts I know, but that's my story.

The guitar player I play with got a Sattelite recently. His had a buzzing problem with the line level inputs and he returned it. I don't know if that problem has been fixed yet. You may want to check the Mackie website user forums, Onyx group, before you go that route.

I have an Onyx 400F - great preamps with no buzzing problem.

Archived