Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pieces you wish you could play perfectly?

Mickey Keys

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Classical pieces mainly.

While there are many "monster" pieces which I know I will never play in my life (Ravel's Gaspard, Listz B minor sonata, and so on), there are other (easier) pieces which I have studied for some time and which I know I could perfect if I had the required time to dedicate... those are giving me the most frustration.

Listz "Fantasy on the Flying Dutch" comes to mind. It's not too difficult, really, and I love it. But I'd need a month of steady practice to really build it, and I just can forget that. :mad:

Another one is Ravel's Sonatina. I can do the first two movements decently just by reviving them for a while, but I never had the time to seriously tackle the third one.

Not to speak of the Bach Preludes and Fugues and the (few) Chopin Etudes which I used to play as a youngster, and have completely forgot now... aarrgghh :freak:

That list, for me, is long, and includes Bach's Two-Part Inventions and the Well-Tempered Clavier; Berg's Piano Sonata; Barber's Excursions and Nocturne; and Rzewski's Variations on "The People United Will Never Be Defeated."

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

My current list of "Die Happy if I could Play" tunes would probably include the "The Yodel" by Big John Patton, and "Talkin' Bout JC" by Grant Green (Larry Young on B3). "Root Down" by Jimmy Smith was on the list until recently, but, while I don't have it not-for note, I feel like I can get there now. Have just been on a huge B3 kick lately, if that isn't clear.

I guess the long term list would be the Bach Well-Tempered Klavier books. I have worked on those since High School, when I briefly entertained the idea of being a classical pianist, fortunately, rock 'n' roll, alcohol and girls intercepted that idea. I still pull them out and play what I can, badly. Those books are actually pretty important to me, my sister (now deceased) gave them to me back then, and in the front inscribed, "Play in good time." That has come to mean a lot.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

(Ravel's Gaspard,

That one's so tough I couldn't even begin to work it into a fantasy. Have seen it performed live twice. I always think they should have medics standing by for the pianist. Are you sure you want to put your life at risk?

I think most people are on here are pretty proficient so it is not a matter of playing them perfectly, most of us could with some practice in time. I was always trying to play stuff harder than I was technically able to do so. When I got better that stuff seemed easier. That is the Zen of this, a lot of stuff like growth, practice, maturity and having knowledge of things makes it seem less intimidating. In idirectly all influences the end result.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Most of the stuff I play, being in the Blues/Rock genre, I prefer putting my own touches on the songs. The 2 I mentioned earlier, though, were what I consider perfection for the songs, and I'll only play them if I can match that level of perfection.

Another I can think of that I will only play if I can do it note for note - nuance for nuance is Lazy, from Machine Head. Jon Lord's organ work is for that song absolute perfection.

We're thinking of doing Smokin actually.

Do a search on the forum. At one point someone posted a transcription of the solo. I kept a copy of it, so if you want it, send me a PM, and I'll send it to you

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Regardless of your favorite genre of music or your current band's song list, is there a piece of piano/keyboard music that, if you finally nailed it, could die happy?

Nope. I agree, there are too many tunes out there. Need this lifetime to learn all of them. ;)

Just wish I could play like SK. He's around here somewhere. :D:cool:

I just wish I could play like prof D AFTER he learns how to play like SK.... now THAT would be some badass chops. :D

As for the topic

Avalon by Harry Connick Jr. off his 20 CD. This was solo piano that kicks my butt. (but so do ProfD and SK) I am there until the midway point.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Classical piece: Claire De Lune. Not the hardest thing ever written for piano, but if I could play that with grace and facility, I'd be a happy guy.

Rock piece: This one is a tossup between "Awaken" - Yes and "Jessica" - Allman Bros. While I like both pieces a lot, it's more about what it would take to get me to each goal in terms of techniques and technology.

Jazz: Still developing that portion of my ear.

For me it would be:

An entire Beethoven Sonata (incl the difficult movement)

That Rach prelude from Shine

Flight of the bumblebee

Round Midnight

Jimmy Smith piece (not sure which one yet - I'm open to suggestions)

John

I like to move it, move it (except The Wurly which can be a bit temperamental and the 122 for obvious reasons)

For me it would be:

Flight of the bumblebee

Round Midnight

Jimmy Smith piece (not sure which one yet - I'm open to suggestions)John

John,

Do we have to lose you so soon? Find a good teacher and give it at least 30 minutes a day and even if you were a rank beginner (and I presume you are not) you'd easily have all of those in five years or less.

I'm presuming you mean the Rach Prelude from "Shine," i.e. C# Minor, and not the Rach Concerto from "Shine," i.e. the Rach 3d. Rach 3 could take a little longer.

But I've been around a while and I know what will happen. It'll be just like I said to the OP. You'll say to yourself "that wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. I bet I could pick up another Beethoven sonata, plus a Prokofiev prelude or two, and then maybe the Root Beer Rag and Allegro Barbaro ..."

and you'll completely forget to die happy.

Larry.

Still working on Chopin Etude Op 10 No. 2 in A minor--it gets to about 120 bpm and just dies.
Steinway L, 1958 Hammond B3, Kurzweil Forte, Prophet-6, Minimoog Voyager, Kawai VPC-1,Oberheim SEM-Pro, Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Rack

Classical piece: Claire De Lune. Not the hardest thing ever written for piano, but if I could play that with grace and facility, I'd be a happy guy.

Rock piece: This one is a tossup between "Awaken" - Yes and "Jessica" - Allman Bros.

Boy, do I feel like a piker... you guys all trot out these great classics and all I can come up with is Root Beer Rag...

Although, truth be told, I had forgotten about Jessica - that's another one, so I guess I have no choice but to live into my 90's...

-Mike

The Paul Posnak transcriptions of Fats Waller's piano pieces arrived today. I ordered it to get versions of some kind of obscure tunes that were included on Lorraine Feather's incomparable "New York City Drag" album. She takes some lesser known FW tunes and puts extraordinarily clever lyrics to them- kind of in the same vein as Eddie Jefferson, Manhattan Transfer or Lambert, Hendricks & Ross vocalese. A real gem of a recording.

Back to the point, it quickly became obvious how much my reading skills had deteriorated- I can follow a lead sheet or fake book pretty well, but having to figure out note-by-note sheet music (with no chord symbols to guide me :freak: ) is quite a chore.

I am certainly more impressed with the music of Fats Waller after seeing what he did from a technical standpoint as well as the harmonic complexity of his playing. I tended to view stride piano as a relatively simple form, but these transcriptions are a revelation.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Rock piece: This one is a tossup between "Awaken" - Yes and "Jessica" - Allman Bros.

Boy, do I feel like a piker... you guys all trot out these great classics and all I can come up with is Root Beer Rag...

Although, truth be told, I had forgotten about Jessica - that's another one, so I guess I have no choice but to live into my 90's...

Hey, nothing wrong with naming off Root Beer Rag. It's actually a quite difficult piece. As far as Jessica, that's one of my improv solos. If you play a few of the figures, and in the original style, the audience won't realize it's not verbatum, and probably won't care.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

It's interesting the number of posts that mention Chopin. For me he wrote some of the most memorable and beautiful melodies ever written, much of which are also technically very demanding. I'd die happy if I ever nailed the Eb nocturne (it could happen :-)) but just thank god that wrote a few pieces that are also very beautiful but not to difficult to play!

Hey, nothing wrong with naming off Root Beer Rag. It's actually a quite difficult piece.

As far as Jessica, that's one of my improv solos. If you play a few of the figures, and in the original style, the audience won't realize it's not verbatum, and probably won't care.

Thanks for the moral support... and to tell the truth, your approach to Jessica is pretty much what my Root Beer Rag is evolving into... catching the feel rather than concentrating on a slavish note-for-note performance. When I finally allow a living soul to hear it, I'll introduce it as "my interpretation of Root Beer Rag". This way I won't feel so much like a damn jukebox, y'know?

Cheers,

-Mike

I would be pleased as punch if, someday, I could nail the intro to Firth of Fifth. :D To tell the truth, I haven't been practicing piano at all lately, concentrating on school and writing software.

I really love Debussy's Arabesque #1, so that would be one piece I'd like to be able to play.

Darren Landrum

For me it would be:

Flight of the bumblebee

Round Midnight

Jimmy Smith piece (not sure which one yet - I'm open to suggestions)John

John,

Do we have to lose you so soon? Find a good teacher and give it at least 30 minutes a day and even if you were a rank beginner (and I presume you are not) you'd easily have all of those in five years or less.

I'm presuming you mean the Rach Prelude from "Shine," i.e. C# Minor, and not the Rach Concerto from "Shine," i.e. the Rach 3d. Rach 3 could take a little longer.

But I've been around a while and I know what will happen. It'll be just like I said to the OP. You'll say to yourself "that wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be. I bet I could pick up another Beethoven sonata, plus a Prokofiev prelude or two, and then maybe the Root Beer Rag and Allegro Barbaro ..."

and you'll completely forget to die happy.

Larry.

Thanks for reply Larry, I'll try not to take it too hard. You see, I actually can't find 30min a day on top of everything else . usually there's other more urgent stuff to learn for the band, helping the kids with their lessons, learning guitar, drum machine programming, work, family, etc etc. My wife bought me a course of tribal drumming lessons for Christmas and enjoying that now too. LOL.

I used to play the Root Beer Rag about 30 yrs ago - my last piano teacher gave that one to me. Enjoyed it at the time, but definitely not now. Eltons more my taste.

John

I like to move it, move it (except The Wurly which can be a bit temperamental and the 122 for obvious reasons)

I'm not good enough to list a technically difficult classical piece - I'd die a frustrated old man if I tried to master just about anything from Chopin.

So at my level, I'd like to play the Maple Leaf Rag perfectly - just once. I have it memorized (note perfect - that's the way I have to go b/c I'm a slow reader) and can sit down and play it good enough for parlor entertainment. But just once, I'd like to nail the timing, the touch, and be clean on each and every little note.

Archived