Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Should I help?

Zuben

I have been told I can talk a walk a day so I take my Dane and walk the subdivision. About a mile. Dog loves it and it wears me out having not been able to do anything for months.

There is a guy down the street who practices drums every so often. He has a long way to go to keep a back beat for even a rhythm guitar.

I walked by last night and heard a lead, bass, rhythm along with the drums. They were bad. They were playing Moondance, pretty easy cover. (At least in most of our books.) Lacking a piano and Sax, the lead was trying to cover it. He had no clue on scales. I was feeling bad for them but having flashbacks when I was 13 I had fond memories. (These guys are in their 30's and I think it's great that they are trying!)

As Ruby and I were standing on the sidewalk in front of the close garage door, his wife noticed me standing out there. Before I had a chance to make excuses and continue our walk, the drummer came out and asked me if I was the guy down the road who was on 60 Minutes. his daughter plays with my Granddaughter and she has been at our house and has seen my tiny wall of shame

I got talked into coming in and giving them my opinion. Man, I don't lie well and it took all I hat to tell them they were bad. Instead, I broke down their elements. The bass is not a lead instrument unless soloing.

I picked up a Squire Strat and showed them what I meant by scales. You would have thought the ghost of Jimi had appeared. We talked about starting a band and they are all 1st timers. I answered the standard questions of PA system, monitors.... They have the money to set up a good front-end and backend sound system.

Well.. the guy called me his afternoon asking me if I would JOIN them. I explained my current condition and got out of this one but he wanted me come down to help them out.

Flat out, they all need individual practice. I could bring down some gear and help them through some easy covers They want to do classic covers. I don't know if I have that kind of patience.

How do I let this guy know that I am not interested. I feel I need to pass on music as it was passed to me but ... :(

Peace

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't know you were on 60 Minutes, Zub! Oh, right, the Ed Bradley event!

I can certainly see you not being ready to mentor a gaggle of rookies, and with your health on the mend, you may be called back on the road soon. As for patience, it sounds like you're 30-odd years ahead of these guys, and I'd have a hard time waiting for their development to come together. For now, your medical issues should be all the excuse you need.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Just be honest with them and tell them you are really not interested. I don't know you very well on the forum but all your posts seem very direct and to the point. And that's what these guys need. Every now and then you might offer them some advice or answer questions, get them pointed in the right direction - that kind of thing. In a passing good neighbor sort of way, if that makes any sense. You have already done a nice deed by doing what you have done.

Reverbnation stuff

More Reverbnation stuff

I feel happy! I feel happy!

I've tried twice with guys who weren't at my level, both times thinking I could 'help them along' a bit.

I'm no great shakes, but I have 30 years of experience and a decent ear.

Now, I suppose it depends on the characters and personalities of the guys, but in my case, both times they wanted to do things *their* way, despite both lots having asked me to come in and help.

My advice is to keep it at arm's length.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

I think you should let these guys know that your health is your number one priority at the moment and you need to put all your energy into that. RIght now, you don't really have time for anything else.

That's reasonable.

John

That's why they call them consultants. Tell them you'll consult with them for $150/hr. You'd be expected to tell them how bad they are and if they would only buy your fret board lube they would play much better. Of course that stuff is $25 for .5 oz., but if they order this week they'll get the free cleaning cloth and a dozen picks.

Seriously, if you want to toss them a bit of info every now and then it sounds like they could really use it. But I would not be above charging them if it was on a regular basis. If they have the money for all of the stuff you mention (and these guys wouldn't bat an eye about hiring a consultant on at their companies) then go for it.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Well, if it were me, i'd want you to help. I know I've been stuck every now and again, and guidance from someone who knows a thing or two can mean a lot to someone who is trying to get better.

Now that I've thoroughly read your post, why not offer lessons for $$$? :eek::grin:

I say help 'em out a little bit, don't spend too much time down there otherwise, you'll never be able to leave.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=810593

http://www.myspace.com/dandelavega

Well.. the guy called me his afternoon asking me if I would JOIN them....

Uh, wha??!! :eek: JOIN THEM??!! :eek: OMG. :o Well clearly you don't have any kind of elitist attitude and that's a good thing, but maybe you could kinda mention some of the folks you've been playing with recently and in the past and they'd quickly realize that they've already gotten very valuable input from ya - about as much as they could hope for at this particular stage.

Seems like you've already given them some advice that should keep 'em busy for awhile anyway...

Plus it seems to me that any music time you can muster, you've got to focus on your own music that's been getting sidelined by the surgeries and junk, and they'd have to understand that.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Oh man, except for the health part I`m in nearly the same boat-

i.e. "You mean NONE of you guys brought a paddle?"-just scroll back through the OT thread. They sound like a nice bunch of guys, which only makes it harder to be objective. I`d say whatever you decide, act early before it gets any more uncomfortable.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I didn't suggest that the two lots I was involved with weren't nice guys - they were.

They can all be nice guys but be a bit pig-headed in the long run.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

If they were doing ORIGINALS, then that would be interesting because you COULD cobble something together that would use whatever talents the band members have individually, and produce some sort of listeneable music.

It's really rewarding stuff: I've started bands with friends who didn't play or sing at all and came up with some interesting results and helped introduce people to the joy of playing in a band. And on a much grander scale, Vivaldi was basically the house composer for an orphanage, so the sky's the limit.

But a cover band? I wouldn't join those guys in a pink fit. The problem with covers is that you're supposed to play stuff that sounds like the original version and those guys don't sound as if they're ready at all.

And anyway, you're supposed to be looking after your back so you can do more serious things. One thing is walking the dog, another is lugging your guitar, amp, etc to their rehearsals. You can leave it there, too, but... who are these guys?

Maybe you could grab the guitarist and really teach him stuff: all sorts of stuff, on a one on one basis... and then he can pass it on to the rest of the band. But get him to come around to your place and stop playing silly buggers with your back.

I'm kind of in the same boat with my room mate. He just started about 2 1/2 years ago, I started 20 some years ago.

I do go jam with them sometimes, they do mostly originals so they just have me play lead. I have helped out with some covers but they haven't asked me to join outright. A couple subtle hints have been dropped but they understand the experience level thing.

In your situation I think I would offer to help out in consultant type of way but let 'em down easy as far as joining up. I mean if you like the guys and want to be around at all.

Wonder what the new Linkin Park album would sound like if they didn't have Perfect Circle to steal from.

I agree with a lot of what's been posted already.

1. Your prime directive right now is to get healthy. Playing in a band with people well below you level will only be stressful. Not at all good for your recuperation.
  2. You want to be kind but really, they have to be realistic. If they lived down the street from a relatively unknown pro ball player they might have the stones to ask him to play on their local league team off season but would they really expect him to say, "yes" to the invitation? If they would you don't want to be anywhere near this project anyway! You're a pro and you get paid (well, I suppose) to do what you do. Joining a band for the love of music may be in you but it won't be with relative novices. It's inconsiderate for them to think otherwise.
  3. A few pointers here and there is one thing, but I hope they realize asking you to play in their band is a pipe dream for them you simply can't accept.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I agree with a lot of what's been posted already.

1. Your prime directive right now is to get healthy. Playing in a band with people well below you level will only be stressful. Not at all good for your recuperation.
  2. You want to be kind but really, they have to be realistic. If they lived down the street from a relatively unknown pro ball player they might have the stones to ask him to play on their local league team off season but would they really expect him to say, "yes" to the invitation? If they would you don't want to be anywhere near this project anyway! You're a pro and you get paid (well, I suppose) to do what you do. Joining a band for the love of music may be in you but it won't be with relative novices. It's inconsiderate for them to think otherwise.
  3. A few pointers here and there is one thing, but I hope they realize asking you to play in their band is a pipe dream for them you simply can't accept.

That's about exactly what I would say. Well put, Neil.

BTW, if you don't mind telling, what episode of 60 Minutes were you on? I'd like to see it.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

I totally agree with Trucks. It'd be good for both you and them to give them some pointers. Not sure I'd join the band, but maybe hang out once in a while.

I've never played with anyone of any skill level that didn't teach me something.

Greg, It was the Ed Bradly Tribute. We were the band at Jimmy Buffetts bar in New Orleans. Ed came up to sing a song with us and it was video taped. When 60 minutes did the tribute, they play short pieces of it but called us the Neville Brothers.

Peace

I've never played with anyone of any skill level that didn't teach me something.

Yeah, that's something that always gets said, but really... what DID you learn?

I mean, people have occasionally turned up for a jam and I've had to tune their guitars for them, just to get things started. And if I hadn't, they'd still be futzing with their tuners.

I've had people refer to chord books for even first position chords...

Sure, it's cool to look at the guitar through the eyes of a beginner every now and then, but how much of it can you take before you start to pull your hair out in frustration. A little goes a long way.

And just to prove that I'm not being snobby, I've played with guys that were so good that I barely played at all, I was just so blown out by their playing and didn't want to ruin everything by playing. Compared to those guys, I too am just a rank beginner. And I can understand when they suddenly remember an appointment and leave :D

So ok... what DO you learn from playing with beginners?

Nahhh...

Be the nice neighbor.

Meaning walk by, be friendly, be nice, offer encouragement, but always keep in mind that these guys are not on your level, never will be, and probably don't want to be... it is just a bunch of guys having fun. Look at it from that point of view. Whenever they try to drag you into a time-sucking practice or performnace session, just pass and make a plesant excuse, and keep walking. Never listen to more than one song.

Every year I go to a social event, wherein there are a bunch of 'players'. Now, these guys have day jobs and kids and to them, playing a Neil Young song or whatever is the height of accomplishment...even though to my ears the performances are heartless, with no emotion. It is easy to forgive raspy voices and lack of virtuosity when there is a lot of soul involved, but this is almost the opposite .... hard work to get the songs to sound as good as they sound, but there is just no life in them. I would drag out my acoustic and start to play, and the others would stop, and get all embarassed, and instead of playing and enjoying themselves they would start to talk about how good I was.... EXACTLY the opposite of what I wanted or expected..... I figured that the push would help them to rise... after all, how do you get better? By playing with people who are bettet than you... at least, that is how I learned. So anyway, I stopped doing that (easy, since I've had the hand and arm problems...) and now they play and howl and enjoy themselves, and I sit there and smile, knowing that I am not ruining their good time.

This looks like a similar thing.... they ask, but they really don't want to know. So encourage them as best you can without 'breaking it down' for them, just make the odd off-hand suggestion (only ONE at a time) then move on. Invite them over for a beer or whatever, but keep things on a social level. This will make it a lot easier for them to be friends with you.... keep your professionalism out of the game. I do this all the time with recording stuff....everyone wants an opinion, until you give it to them.... then you are a stuck up asshole.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Archived