Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Burned CDs not playing?

I've been burning demos of the band i am in and been having problems getting some of them to work. I made a batch of 100 and most work on a particular car stereo... but some of them dont (on that same stereo) Whats the deal? Does anyone know why this is? Thanks for your help Dave

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by KikkyMonk: [b]I've been burning demos of the band i am in and been having problems getting some of them to work. I made a batch of 100 and most work on a particular car stereo... but some of them dont (on that same stereo) Whats the deal? Does anyone know why this is? Thanks for your help Dave[/b][/quote]Burn errors maybe? -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Assuming that you burned all 100 on the same equipment, that would be curious. Do the CDs that don't play on this particular car stereo play in other CD players? Were you using a fast burn speed?

What software are you using to burn the CDs? Easy CD Creator (on Windows XP) is what I use. With it, you need to be sure that it detects and tests your hardware. When I first started burning CDs, I didn't go through this process and made a few coasters. After going through these tests (multiple times just to be sure), I've always had successful burns. The other problems could be - faulty CDs or that the buffer is not full and there is missing data. If there's not a continuous stream of data to be written, you'll get errors. To remedy this, you could burn the CDs at a slower speed. What speed are you burning them now? Also, are you doing anything else with the computer at the same time that you are burning CDs? This could also be a problem. Check all of these things and post again. Good luck! Gas :cool:
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

And just to add something about the burn speed, I've been told again and again that for audio CDs, I should use burn speeds of 4x or so (even though I can burn at 16x), and have been told that faster burn speeds can potentially introduce more errors. FWIW.

[quote] Assuming that you burned all 100 on the same equipment, that would be curious. Do the CDs that don't play on this particular car stereo play in other CD players? Were you using a fast burn speed? [/quote]They have played on all cd players I own... just this particular stock ford ranger car stereo and a couple at our drummers house. On one burner I was going 16x outta 16x and the other was 20x outta 32x. [quote] What software are you using to burn the CDs? [/quote]Nero on both computers [quote] faulty CDs or that the buffer is not full and there is missing data. If there's not a continuous stream of data to be written, you'll get errors. [/quote]Yeah bad cds crossed my mind... I burned 20 at a time so the buffer should fill the same way each time... furthermore it was from HD to CD... I wasn't doing anything with the computer but burning them 4x doesn't sound appealing to me... burning about 100 per week :( but maybe that is what i need to do. either that or faulty CDs which there is nothing I can do about it. It would suck to send a demo to a club and then have them no be able to play it Thanks for the help thus far Dave

Yeah Dave, for demos, run at no more than 4X. In my experience more than that can cause players to miss on the play. Another thing that happens with faster burns, if they start to play on a particular player, is they'll stop being recognised after awhile. I no longer burn faster than 4X & if it's important, 2X or less for something I want to work on nearly any player. I use Easy CD Creator. I also have Nero Burn but that's caused me more problems that it's worth.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

here's another thought - some older cd players cannot read burned discs on so-called 80 minute media (700MB). The consumer channel pretty much has only 80 minute media these days. Can they read other burned discs successfully?

Archived