Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite "Music" Movie?

Zuben

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No laughing from me, Don. I thought it was a really good movie.

What would probably make people laugh is to find out that I am actually starting to grow fond of "ABBA:The Movie". :laugh: That bit of info is probably enough to get me thrown off the forum (just kidding)!

Michelle

My new baby is a 2002 Collectors by Ovation

I think this is a cool song title -- "Can't Remember to Forget"

The Sound Of Music

O.K., stop laughing..... :cool:

Not laughing at all. Although I generally can't stand musicals, I really do like Rogers & Hammerstein. They wrote some great tunes. And Sound Of Music has one of the all time best opening scenes in movie making.

Scott Fraser

"........the hills are alive, with the sound of MUSIC...."

Great scene, musically and visually stunning. Sure it's a sentimental film....but I love it!!! It's a great one on many levels...humor, poignant historical references to the evils of Nazism, and some tender moments. And, the magnificent music serves it all beautifully.

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

The Sound Of Music

O.K., stop laughing..... :cool:

Not laughing at all. Although I generally can't stand musicals, I really do like Rogers & Hammerstein. They wrote some great tunes. And Sound Of Music has one of the all time best opening scenes in movie making.

Scott Fraser

"........the hills are alive, with the sound of MUSIC...."

Great scene, musically and visually stunning. Sure it's a sentimental film....but I love it!!! It's a great one on many levels...humor, poignant historical references to the evils of Nazism, and some tender moments. And, the magnificent music serves it all beautifully.

As great as the movie was, I fell asleep during the first few times I tried to watch it. So it was great when I could finally watch the entire thing without falling asleep. It had nothing to do with the movie, but due to the fact that I just couldn't seem to stay awake past 9:00 p.m.!

The thing about the "Sound of Music" is that I was told that the danger they were in was really toned down in the movie.

I have heard different versions of "Climb Every Mountain" and Julie Andrew's version is by far the best.

Michelle

I love "Sound of Music." :thu:

My top three rock/pop music movies are "Hard Day's Night," "HELP!" and "That Thing You Do."

I like most of the music in "Head" (especially the "Porpoise Song") but the movie itself was a bit of a chore to sit through. I think too much reefer was consumed while they were writing the script.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Sure it's a sentimental film....but I love it!!!

Nothing wrong with sentimental if it's done well & isn't sappy or manipulative in its sentiment. Wizard Of Oz is a sentimental movie ("There's no place like home...") and we all love that one, right?

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

I like most of the music in "Head" (especially the "Porpoise Song") but the movie itself was a bit of a chore to sit through. I think too much reefer was consumed while they were writing the script.

I used to be a Monkees fan, but I can't remember how the "Porpoise Song" went. I agree about the movie. Even back then I thought the movie was strange.

Michelle

I used to be a Monkees fan, but I can't remember how the "Porpoise Song" went. I agree about the movie. Even back then I thought the movie was strange.

Michelle

Here's a LINK to a thirty second sample at Launchcast. Definitely one of their more spacey numbers.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

What would probably make people laugh is to find out that I am actually starting to grow fond of "ABBA:The Movie". :laugh: That bit of info is probably enough to get me thrown off the forum (just kidding)!

I used to hate ABBA when they were around, but with hindsight, I must admit they wrote some really good songs. There's some that don't do anything much for me, because I'm more rock and roll, but they're well written, polished songs.

Did anyone like Dead Man?

I've heard it described as, "The sound of a guitar being dropped over and over", and that's fairly true. But in context, I think it sounds wonderful.

Star Wars

You know, that one came to mind for me as well. It may seem strange, but that music still seems powerful and moving to me. One of the best sound tracks ever written, IMO.

Hold on, you got the taraaaaa-rah! tarAAAAAAAA-rah! bit at the beginning and then..? Is that it or are there other famous bits? (I'm not a big fan, watched them all in a row one weekend just to catch up)

"La Bamba". Always loved that movie, the songs and the background music done by Carlos Santana.

The Richie Valens songs done by Los Lobos are awesome.

Marshall Crenshaw doing Buddy Holly, Brian Setzer doing Eddie Cochran and whoever the guy that did Jackie Wilson are all excellent.

Star Wars

You know, that one came to mind for me as well. It may seem strange, but that music still seems powerful and moving to me. One of the best sound tracks ever written, IMO.

Hold on, you got the taraaaaa-rah! tarAAAAAAAA-rah! bit at the beginning and then..? Is that it or are there other famous bits? (I'm not a big fan, watched them all in a row one weekend just to catch up)

There are several songs in StarWars. The most notable scores are, the theme music, the music they play when Darth Vader is around and the heart wrenching/love scene music.

Here are the most notable:

Main Theme (Star Wars)aka Luke's Theme

The Throne Room

Princess Leia's Theme

The Imperial March

Darth Vader's Theme

There are many others, but for those of us who grew up when Star Wars was first out, it brings back many memories of youth. Most folks can hum all of the tunes I listed, if they hear a few bars first. That's a really impressive achievement for a "scored" sound track.

Check out the tunes on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_music

There are many others, but for those of us who grew up when Star Wars was first out...

Yeah, like me. I was 14 when it came out (1977, right?) I'll check out the Wiki article, thanks. Now you've made me curious. :)

Was it as popular as it was here, in your neck of the woods, back then?

I was just a kid, but I remember the line ups to see the movie, going around the block. Every kids in school had seen the movie numerous times and you weren't a "cool kid" unless you had seen it at least 5 times and many kids had seen it over 20 times. Around here, it was the biggest thing going for a kid in the seventies.

Michelle

Here's a LINK to a thirty second sample at Launchcast. Definitely one of their more spacey numbers.

Now I remember why I forgot that song! :laugh:. It definitely was one of their spacier numbers.

Michelle

Was it as popular as it was here, in your neck of the woods, back then?... Around here, it was the biggest thing going for a kid in the seventies.

Not sure... But it must have been. I remember there was Star Wars tat everywhere and not even adults thought it was tacky to write "May the Force be with you" on birthday cards. Oh, and the disco version of the Star Wars Theme went down a treat as well. :D

Archived