Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm in love....

Jode

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
She's quite cute, and plays really well, but it sounds like she's playing one song and singing another..

your right with that one! I'd hit that! :P

Okay I got my hair cut! Its now this short *shows how short using hand*

Lets get down to business gentlemen! I want that bagel now!...Don't forget the lettuce!

Alright Jode...rock, paper, scisors. Best of 3 for her.

I saw her first! Go get your own smokin' hot, exotic-looking swinging URB-playing torch singer!

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

she is quite compelling. it's a hard call between her and

i think my vote is with esperanza spalding, too.

robb.

Lydia wins! :D:D:D

Okay I got my hair cut! Its now this short *shows how short using hand*

Lets get down to business gentlemen! I want that bagel now!...Don't forget the lettuce!

she is quite compelling. it's a hard call between her and

i think my vote is with esperanza spalding, too.

robb.

Lydia wins! :D:D:D

spalding definately! I will definately have to pick up her CD, BEAUTIFUL music. Plus she is very much more beautiful. But then again, always found black women to be more beautiful.

Now let's see. Scissors beat everything, right?

They're very good scissors...

It will also depend on the type off rock. Scissors might be able to stand up against a sedimentary rock but an igneous rock would be a lot tougher.

I have half a mind...

I'll edit my post now, sorry if I offended anybody.

From Willie: Thanks, robb. and SH, for addressing this quickly and respectfully with each other. Peace. --SW

Dammit! I missed the controversial bits! :mad:

But I didn't miss Lydia. Hoo mama. Shame there's a rule against banging the chick in the band.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Funny, I read what Switch Hitter originally wrote and completely forgot what it was when I now reread his post :)

But Miss Spalding definitely is a very fine young lady, to say the least :thu: I cannot play the video now so I can't listen to the song. I'll comment on that later :grin:

Edit: There's a cd available called Junjo, here in Belgium. At 17 euro it's not cheap, so I'll definitely try and find some samples before I buy it. MySpace, here I come :grin:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

She's quite cute, and plays really well, but it sounds like she's playing one song and singing another..

You don't get jazz in general, do you?

I get some jazz. There is jazz where the band plays something resembling the same song, then there is jazz where everyone in the band just plays some completely different thing and calls the resulting chaos "jazz". Call me whatever you like, but I like the former.. In the linked clip, take the bass line by itself and I would like it, or the singing by itself, or it with a tune in the same ballpark, and I would like it.

I've just heard way too much "jazz" that sounds like someone pushed a 3 piece band down a flight of stairs being held up as musically insightful.. Not that this is necessarily that far to the extreme.

I'm in no way detracting from either of her talents.

Feel free to visit my band's site

Delusional Mind

You don't get jazz in general, do you?

I get some jazz. There is jazz where the band plays something resembling the same song, then there is jazz where everyone in the band just plays some completely different thing and calls the resulting chaos "jazz". Call me whatever you like, but I like the former.. In the linked clip, take the bass line by itself and I would like it, or the singing by itself, or it with a tune in the same ballpark, and I would like it.

I've just heard way too much "jazz" that sounds like someone pushed a 3 piece band down a flight of stairs being held up as musically insightful.. Not that this is necessarily that far to the extreme.

I'm in no way detracting from either of her talents.

I know what you mean, I've heard some types of jazz that sound like everyone is doing individual warm up drills, but to each his own. I also can appreciate the talent, but show me the door. I'll listen to talent that is pleasing to my ear.

I also didn't know you had to 'get it' in music. I've always had this stupid notion that you just had to enjoy 'listening' to it. Good thing I don't 'get' opera.

What small hands for a double bass player.

I don't have to get jazz, or opera, or avant-garde music or whatever. I just enjoy them. It's just a matter of training your ear. There might be a food that the first time you tried it you went 'yuck' but as you developed your taste buds you appreciated the sophisticated flavour. You didn't have to think about it - you just developed your aesthetic palette. If you just stick with what you know and don't develop your musical tastebuds you're missing out - but that's your choice.

A lot of music comes down to tension and release. All you guys are describing is music with a lot of tension. Maybe you have a low tension threshold.

I've listened.. A lot... And it still sounds like a band crashing down a flight of stairs. Any group of musicians can get together and all play some random line together. That doesn't necessarily make it something I should appreciate or aspire to. I expect at least some level of harmony, and there is a ton of jazz that has none at all.

Now I'm not saying that all jazz sucks or anything.. I really enjoy a lot of jazz. I even appreciate a *little* discord in music.. I just reject something that sounds like 3 or 4 people all sat down and wrote 3 or 4 different songs and played them all at the same time, then being shunned as not "getting it" when I call the kettle black.. The emperor is naked guys, and I'm not going to fake it just to garner acceptance..

Feel free to visit my band's site

Delusional Mind

Well there is bad jazz just like there is bad 'any kind of music'. There's plenty of music without harmony though - Indian, Middle Eastern and African traditional music for example. On this video, though, Esperanza plays a vamp off a pedal tone that relates to the harmony then pretty much follows the harmony with the bass part so I'm not sure if this is an example of what you describe.

I've played free jazz and I can assure you it is very hard to play, you have to listen incredibly hard, avoid all kinds of cliche and respond to create music that grows organically with little or no preconceived music. That can be hard to listen to too but it depends what mood you're in. In some moods a little Albert Ayler or Archie Shepp can be very cathartic.

That's not typical of jazz as a whole though. Most jazz is not free structured in terms of rhythmic, harmonic and melodic reference points.

I think it's a matter of finding one or two jazz performances that you enjoy, exploring recordings by the same artists, then finding other recordings by the sidemen on those records etc. and then you will find your own listening niche within jazz.

Then again, jazz is best experienced live. I've known friends who have not appreciated jazz until they saw a jazz great in person, in concert and then they 'got it'.

What small hands for a double bass player.

I don't have to get jazz, or opera, or avant-garde music or whatever. I just enjoy them. It's just a matter of training your ear. There might be a food that the first time you tried it you went 'yuck' but as you developed your taste buds you appreciated the sophisticated flavour. You didn't have to think about it - you just developed your aesthetic palette. If you just stick with what you know and don't develop your musical tastebuds you're missing out - but that's your choice.

A lot of music comes down to tension and release. All you guys are describing is music with a lot of tension. Maybe you have a low tension threshold.

With all the genre offerings that I enjoy, and those on the fringe, that catch my attention, there isn't enough time in life to take in all of those. So personally, I can't see spending that time listening to music that isn't pleasing to my ears, and try to develope a 'taste' for it.

With all the foods in the world that I enjoy, and never tire of, why would I want to try and develope a taste for something that tastes terrible to me. I'd be spending time doing an unnecessary and unpleaserable thing.

I'm just an unsophisticated guy. :crazy:

Also, you're an aesthetic palette. ;)

Archived