Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Led Zep Cover trivia question

mdrs

My cousin asked me this trivia question, and I didn't know the answer. I'm hoping you will be able to help me.

On the cover of Led Zepplin's "Physical Grafitti" album there is a person sitting on the stairs. Who is that rumored to be???

Thanks for the help. :wave:

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The rumor was that it's John Bohnam:

The identity of the figure sitting on the right hand set of stairs is said by some to resemble John Bonham. Those who like to indulge in the sort of speculation that fans of The Beatles do regarding the cover of "Abbey Road", interpret the presence of Bonham as symbolic. The two doors symbolize "There are two paths you can go by" from "Stairway To Heaven", light and shade, two opposites, heaven and hell, a choice? It's a big stretch at any rate. What makes the building look a bit odd is the seemingly unnecessary jumble of ladders, balconies and windows which cover the facade of the building. The person sitting on the steps has what looks like two black dogs in their arms. A further twist on the door theory can be seen on the back cover where one door is brightly illuminated and shut, while the door inside the darkened doorway is open.

Ya beat me to the clonk, A'! :D

Also, years later Mick Jagger was sitting on the stoop of the very same building in the video for the Rolling Stones' "Waiting On A Friend"... I think Kieth Richards is there, too.

And in the basement, there's been a second-hand and vintage clothing shop called- Physical Graffiti (the shop took the name from the album, not the other-way-around.)

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Also, years later Mick Jagger was sitting on the stoop of the very same building in the video for the Rolling Stones' "Waiting On A Friend"...

YESSS!!! I was thinking the exact same thing while scrolling down to your post. Damn, now I gotta go look at the album cover again and the insert sleeves. That is one thing I miss about actual album covers - they gave you something to look at and ponder while listening to the tunes. I can't even SEE anything on the CD covers any more! Time for thicker glasses! :D

Reverbnation stuff

More Reverbnation stuff

I feel happy! I feel happy!

That is one thing I miss about actual album covers - they gave you something to look at and ponder while listening to the tunes.

Esp. Led Zeppelin. eh? Vol III, with the spinnable inset depends on the album format, and does IV to a certain extent. And of course PG where you can swap the insets around.

That is one thing I miss about actual album covers - they gave you something to look at and ponder while listening to the tunes.

Esp. Led Zeppelin. eh? Vol III, with the spinnable inset depends on the album format, and does IV to a certain extent. And of course PG where you can swap the insets around.

Yes, Zep's were the coolest! :thu: I remember those days of unwrapping the cellophane off a new record, getting a whiff of that "new album smell", and always excited about not only the anticipation of listening to the music but exploring what was on the album cover, sleeves, inserts, etc. It was part of the experience. It was always a letdown if the sleeves were completely blank or worse, had some kind of ad on them promoting other albums under the same label!

Reverbnation stuff

More Reverbnation stuff

I feel happy! I feel happy!

I liked the multiple sleeves of In Through the Out Door and especially the inner sleeves that you could color using a Q-Tip wet with water!

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

It was funny... well it took a while... anyway, I bought this and brought it to the flop house where we all resided and a friend was there. I don't think any of us knew it was water color and he mentioned it and got some water, I got Q-Tips... he just looked at me stuck his finger in the water and started smearing it about wildly... he looked at me, my face likely saying something like "you f*&^%ng as%#$^e" He looked at me and said simply.... "it's water color, not paint by numbers"

It sunk in... I'm cool with it now... took 25 years but I'm cool with it.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

And the "double album" records were good for, ah...emm, separating the seeds if ya'll know what I mean! ;)

Good seeds, from the bad seeds? Tomatoes? Oregano?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I bought Blue Cheer's "Vincebus Eruptem" on vinyl in about '90 or '91 at a flea market. I listened to it quite a bit when I first got it, then only got it out ocassionally. I was going through my records one day about 5 or 6 years after I bought it, and while looking at this one, a packet of rolling papers fell out! I took them to an older guy I worked with, and he 'bout fell over. Apparently this particular size of papers hadn't been made in quite some time. He begged me for them!! By that time my days of "partaking" were long over, so, for some reason I put them back in the record sleeve, and they are still there to this day. I do think that them being in a Blue Cheer record is fairly appropriate!

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

I bought Blue Cheer's "Vincebus Eruptem" on vinyl in about '90 or '91 at a flea market. I listened to it quite a bit when I first got it, then only got it out ocassionally. I was going through my records one day about 5 or 6 years after I bought it, and while looking at this one, a packet of rolling papers fell out! I took them to an older guy I worked with, and he 'bout fell over. Apparently this particular size of papers hadn't been made in quite some time. He begged me for them!! By that time my days of "partaking" were long over, so, for some reason I put them back in the record sleeve, and they are still there to this day. I do think that them being in a Blue Cheer record is fairly appropriate!

A pack of rolling papers in a Blue Cheer album is EXTREMELY appropriate since being high is about the only way that band would sound good. I bought that album when it came out, probably '67, because it was 'heavy' at a time when there weren't a lot of heavy rock bands around. But even as an impressionable, hard rock loving teenager I quickly tired of Blue Cheer's sloppiness & generally amateurish chops. Where are those guys now, 40 years later? And does Vincebus Eruptum sound better or worse than I remember it from 4 decades back?

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

A pack of rolling papers in a Blue Cheer album is EXTREMELY appropriate since being high is about the only way that band would sound good. I bought that album when it came out, probably '67, because it was 'heavy' at a time when there weren't a lot of heavy rock bands around. But even as an impressionable, hard rock loving teenager I quickly tired of Blue Cheer's sloppiness & generally amateurish chops. Where are those guys now, 40 years later? And does Vincebus Eruptum sound better or worse than I remember it from 4 decades back?

Scott Fraser

:thu::D

Dickie Peterson, who played bass and sang, I think still has the band together and gigging. I found a German import about 15 years ago that was new material, but I honestly don't think that I listened to it more the once or twice. IIRC, it wasn't very good. I recently bought Vincebus Eruptum and Outsideinside on CD, and while I still like them, I have found that neither is as good as I remember and thought they were when I was 21 years old. For what it is, Vincebus Eruptum still stands up for me, but I don't think that it will ever make any "best of" lists for classic albums. For me, it more so provides a memory of a certain time in my life; part of my life's soundtrack, if you will. :D

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

Archived