Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Motif XS6 - amazing accompaniment

MrVegas

I played on an XS6 for over an hour today and was blown away by the cool arpeggios/programs with drum tracks, etc. Just amazing.

I am going to learn bass guitar and I was salivating over how much fun it would be to lay down some backing tracks with the Motif.

It's pretty expensive but it is sooooo goooood.

Are there any others like it?

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Kronos 88, Korg CX-3, Motion Sound KBR-3D

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, software. And it's a lot cheaper :-). If you already have a computer and use it regularly in the studio, the Motif is more useful in a live context. But those are well-programmed arps if you're into that. I have a very good guitar library from Chris Hein that also covers that sort of "natural playing style" territory, as do most of the Virtual Guitar soft synths. All for $300 or less.

There is a certain convenience factor to the Performance, Mix, or Multi Mode of a workstation synth, in that you can quickly set up a drum track and other accompaniment and then maybe either practice your main ax that way as "music minus one" or use for inspiration for songwriting (if you need inspiration to get going on compositions, or just like to add variety by using a different approach to songwriting now and then). Some people even like the preset Performances that come with the synth. They usually try to include a few generic styles like Samba, Blues, Bass Walk, etc.

If it is this aspect that most impresses you, I would strongly recommend that you look at the Tyros before dropping a huge sum of money on a synth workstation. Or even one of the higher-end PSR arranger workstations (I am assuming for now that you would want to stick with the Yamaha brand as you already know you like their sounds and their general arp programming for accompaniment). There is a consistency across the Yamaha product line as much of the technology is borrowed back and forth.

The Tyros is their specially-named top-of-line arranger workstation, now in its third generation (Tyros 3). If you are looking for 88 weighted keys, this would not be the way to go -- arranger workstations typically use synth action and max out around 61 keys for the most part. But they tend to be much more oriented to the band-in-a-box performer and music-minus-one home rehearsal enthusiast. This is not to degrade them as cheesy; it's simply meant to more closely define the match of your needs to prodict lines that are available.

Yamaha has some tutorials and videos posted of the Tyros 3, that will help you better understand the differences between what it could do for you vs. a mainline synth workstation. The arps in the Motif XS come from the Tyros, but the Tyros has more and includes some features the Motif doesn't have that my instinct tells me are likely to more closely match your personal needs as you seem especially focused on arranger and accompaniment features.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I played on an XS6 for over an hour today and was blown away by the cool arpeggios/programs with drum tracks, etc. Just amazing.

oh yeah,those 4 intelligent arps on my XS are amazing indeed.

It's like playing with four musicians band and I don't have to pay them, not to mention total control. They're never late for rehearsal too.

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

The Tyros is their specially-named top-of-line arranger workstation, now in its third generation (Tyros 3). If you are looking for 88 weighted keys, this would not be the way to go -- arranger workstations typically use synth action and max out around 61 keys for the most part. But they tend to be much more oriented to the band-in-a-box performer and music-minus-one home rehearsal enthusiast. This is not to degrade them as cheesy; it's simply meant to more closely define the match of your needs to prodict lines that are available.

Yamaha has some tutorials and videos posted of the Tyros 3, that will help you better understand the differences between what it could do for you vs. a mainline synth workstation. The arps in the Motif XS come from the Tyros, but the Tyros has more and includes some features the Motif doesn't have that my instinct tells me are likely to more closely match your personal needs as you seem especially focused on arranger and accompaniment features.

There is no Tyros 3, unless you have some info from Yamaha that the world doesn't have as far as I can tell. The third generation of Tyros hasn't been announced, unless you're referring to the PSR-S series. I own a PSR-S900, which I bought specifically because it has the most important features of the Tyros 2 at about half the price. There is still room for a more powerful arranger workstation from Yamaha, but my guess is that it won't be announced any time soon because the PSR-S was released less than six months ago.

I can envision a music arranger workstation that would combine the Tyros 2 technology with the n8 digital mixer.

I am going to learn bass guitar and I was salivating over how much fun it would be to lay down some backing tracks with the Motif.

It's pretty expensive but it is sooooo goooood.

Are there any others like it?

I gotta agree with you here - I'm very inspired by the XS's arpeggiator (from a player standpoint). Someone (or a bunch of someones) spent some time making them musical and usable.

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

Sorry, I misinterpreted that Yamaha ad in the music mags this month. I re-read the ad last night and you are right; they are announcing new generation high-end PSR's, not a Tyros 3. The Tyros 2 is the current model, and is still fairly new.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived