Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fuel Oil Prices...whatcha payin' per gallon...?

miroslav

Fuel oil prices  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Fuel oil prices

Just wondering what people are paying per gallon for fuel oil this season.

Ever since Suburban Propane bought out AGWAY in my area...prices have just gone up like crazy, though when you ask them about it, they say it's like that everywhere and it has nothing to do with their own internal pricing.

Mmmmmmm....just can't beleive that.

Per gallon fuel oil costs more than 93 octane gasoline around here!

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Northern NJ....

Home Heating Oil... I just got a delivery of 250+ gallons @ $3.32/gallon. There is no gas line on my block so I have no other choice. Not that gas is any cheaper.

Gasoline for the car... Regular (from a no-name gas station) is holding steady at $2.87/gallon. At least that was last week!

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

We use natural gas for our utilities. I have no idea how much it is because it is based on usage, since it is hooked up to the city gas main. Our utilities all come in a package over here. Plus, natural gas is expensive everywhere, but not as much here. The Rockies has some of the best sources of it this side of the Persian Gulf.

But what we gain in that we make up for in gasoline, seafood, other foods, everything. Living in the mountainous inland: a pain but at least I don't worry about flooding, hurricanes, tornadoes (mostly), humidity, or giant insects. :D

Shut up and play.

I think thats more common out east. I have free heat where I live. Gas oldskool radiater.

My sister has oil. But they have a furnace they can also use wood in, cuz they live on 10 acres. Last year they didn't spend much money cuz my bro in law has a wood kiln that can circulate heat through the house.. Thats a cool option.

My g/f is all hopped up about experimenting with art pottery.

I'm thinking about ways we can get her salt glaze firing integrated into heating our (extremely small) house.

At the same time, I'm also looking seriously at some easily integratable solar options (they have these really neat solar shingles that look and act just like asphalts) - to solve my electric bill problem once and for all.

Too bad it has to wait until spring :mad:

I live in Florida... What's fuel oil???

Yeah...but I'm sure you get slammed with electric during the hot months...which run a lot longer than the cold moths up here.

Ahhh geez Miro... Ya' had to bring that up didn't ya'... :cry:

Well I'm screwed here because my heat exchanger is cracked and with the new legislation on oil burning systems I need it inspected before they'll deliver me oil.

So... I've been doing the 5 gallon can thing since last winter. It's a pain in the ass but I'm far more mindful of the thermostat because of it. In my estimation it's still less of a hassle than wood which I'd have to buy.

The kids at the station were my high school students so when they have furnace oil I can get it for 3.70 a gallon or less but when they're out and I burn diesel it's costing me upwards of 4.45!

I'm thinking of going propane when I find the money to replace the furnace... until then I'll keep trucking fuel.... day by day by day by....

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

We're all dealing with consumption taxes and it doesn't seem to matter whether you're in a so called welfare state or warfare state it all costs the citizenry to support ideological decision.

Here in Canada we're well on the way to buying ourselves out of foreign debt. Averaging an $8 billion reduction per year. We're the only G7 country reducing the national debt now estimated at $480 billion. Which is likely why everyone wants to buy up Canadian companies and set shop here. Thank God it's cold!

I don't want to get political about this and don't actually know what it will mean in my life time or that of my kids. It seems painless and I just give it up without questioning why or where it goes. I also have no idea of what a $8.4 trillion US debt means to those south of us. Apparently is grows by $1 billion per day and as our futures are in many ways glued together... well I just hope that there's a solution somewhere in the works.

Fossil fuels... we're all like crack whores and now we're starting to fight over them.

One World, One People.

Hope that isn't offensive to anyone... it's just truth.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

In my estimation it's still less of a hassle than wood which I'd have to buy.

Yeah...I know a lot of folks around here who seem to think wood burning is a way out of the high fuel costs...but they just never sit down and do the math, not to mention that keeping a wood burning stove/fireplace going all the time, is a total PITA!

Around here if you're buying wood...it's not cost effective, and if you're slowly strip-mining your own property, that's a lot of work, and eventually, you will have nothing but bare ground.

My neighbor is big on wood burning (even in the mild spring/fall moths)...and he's already cut down about a dozen or so nice trees in his yard. Yeah...he's got a lot more in the back (it's all wooded)...but man, it's like all he does is cut/chop and stack wood...and then constantly hauls it indoors.

No thanks! Not to mention what it does to the indoor air quality...always breathing in secondary smoke and having that burned-wood stink on everythingYUK!

It's OK for that weekend cabin in the woods...but not for everyday living...IMO.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

My g/f is all hopped up about experimenting with art pottery.

I'm thinking about ways we can get her salt glaze firing integrated into heating our (extremely small) house.

At the same time, I'm also looking seriously at some easily integratable solar options (they have these really neat solar shingles that look and act just like asphalts) - to solve my electric bill problem once and for all.

Too bad it has to wait until spring :mad:

I will ask my bro in law about it. Its his house. He does ceramics pottery for a living so he needs the kiln, but somehow that also can heat his house in the winter. But he also has fuel oil in case he doesnt have wood. But I asked him and he said he can heat the whole house with it.

He lives on the edge of a forest that goes on for a while.

Anyways, kind of cool if you could swing that. Plus wood fires rock. Never understand the whole replace it with a fake gas one. But thats me. I am a charcoal guy. If I could some how make my car run on charcoal I would...

Natural gas...

That I get for free. All I have to do is eat beans or cucumbers. :blush:

Michelle

If you figure out how to heat a house that way, you'll be rich!!

Well, I would be stinkin' rich, that's for sure.

I did see a story on TV about bio fuels. There is a company in a large city that will retrofit your diesel car for about $1,200.00 to run on vegetable oil. What they do is collect waste oil from restaurants and refine it.

There is also a small amount of diesel fuel used also. I guess is is used in the car until the oil reaches operating temperature. The woman who was featured in the article said that since she has had this done to the car, she hasn't noticed a drop in performance.

Michelle

My new baby is a 2002 Collectors by Ovation

I think this is a cool song title -- "Can't Remember to Forget"

I live in Florida... What's fuel oil???

If you lived in N. FL where I grew up, you'd know what fuel oil is. ;)

Several years ago, I visited my brother who lives in Miami on December 23. I was at South Beach...it was 93 degrees. :eek:

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

I usually pay somewhere in the ball park of 1 or $2,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.00 per gallon, kind of alot if you ask me..

Archived