Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Original Diversi DV/DV-100 and Voce V5+

edwindrewes

I know they say the first Diversi DV's were based on the Voce V5+, but does this imply they are a glorified controller for a straight V5+ engine, or that it is a tweaked engine derived from the V5+....Diversi is impossible to get in contact with and doesnt seem interested in letting me know this.....I just listen to youtube demos and the DV sounds so obeeeese.....But demos of the V5+ with similar amplification doesnt sound remotely similar....In fact, a dry nord electro 2 sounds closer to the fatness of the DV than the V5+, to me.....But I'm curious about people knowledge and opinions who have more experience with these modelled organs....Thanks!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Contact Dave Amels, Mr. Voce himself, for the straight poop.

My guess is that they did not do much to change the V5+, because they are not engineers themselves.

Many factors can change the sound of web clips, including recording method, compression method, etc.

The Voce still has fans who swear that the basic straight tone is as fat and authentic as anything out there.

Moe

---

I am one of those that believes the Voce tone is the thickest organ tone available in a clone. Running a Voce V3 or V5 or V5+ through a Leslie is the closest thing to Hammond nirvana I have found. Though the vibrato and percussion are perhaps not as strong as others, the raw tone is so darn THICK it is incredible.

I do believe the Diversi and Voce engines are the same.

I have Dave Amels contact info if anyone wants to hit me offline. I have not corresponded with him in probably a year or more, but he is still around.

'Tis a shame they never made a single-manual clone with good UI and the Voce engine underneath it all.

Regards,

Eric

I agree. But I don't like the layout or even the fragility of the drawbars on the V5, and the full organs are too expensive.

Yes, they are the same, more or less (maybe some updates that might be available to either product through firmware upgrades?).

When I spoke to them at NAMM, they mentioned that one line is marketed towards church players; the other towards gospel players. Or maybe those were the same market and the other market was gigging musicians in rock/etc.

If you look at how the hardware is structured, you'll see how they have a specific type of player in mind. My recollection is that the Diversi line is more for those who need pedals, and rock players don't tend to use pedals much, hence the Voce line?

FWIW, MotionSound seems to like Diversi/Voce the best as well. I haven't compared directly to the Hammond side-by-side, but certainly the experience of sitting down at that two-manual Diversi with pedals is just this side of nirvana. Very creamy and full, as others have said. I think the raw tone is the best out there, but Hammond's XK1/XK3/XK3c do up the ante a bit.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

I have sworn by my V5 for many years for that very reason - it has the fattest tone I have ever heard in a clone. Through a real leslie, I can't imagine anything sounding better!
Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

I have sworn by my V5 for many years for that very reason - it has the fattest tone I have ever heard in a clone. Through a real leslie, I can't imagine anything sounding better!

Do you use a speakeasy preamp to go from your V5 to the leslie? Im sure it sounds amazing....Man all those demos from Eddie Howard PJ Morgan etc sound just so fat....obese is a good word...

I gigged with a V5 for about 5-6 years before updating to my Nord Stage. Agreed, nothing fatter/ballsier, and probably one of the easiest ways to add a "B-3" to your rig. I had the modification done to increase the percussion volume, and this helped a lot. I often wonder why Voce doesnt get more publicity.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

• 3 years later...
In speaking with Tom Tuson, the owner of Diversi Organ regarding the Diversi DV-100 he told me that the Voce V5+ software had been "tweaked" for the DV-100. Specifically, the top end of the tone has been dampened down some so that there is less "screech" on the top-end. This was done as a result of focus group discussions with Gospel players. Another interesting tidbit; although not publicized, the V5+ software has also been slightly modified vs. the original V5. What has been publicized about the V5+ is that there was a percussion change and a chorus/vibrato change. What is not publicized is that the V5+ software itself was slightly "tweaked" when introduced. If you sit the V5 and V5+ side by side, removing the C/V and percussion, you can hear a very slight difference in the tone.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Archived