Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

looking for the best piano / synth comb.....?

sachimay

I am an active jazz/funk/jam pianist...I am looking for the best piano sound I can get while also looking for some nice synth leads and pads.

I am currently using a Yamaha P200 and Nord Electro 61. I love the piano on the yamaha but would really love some synth sounds. I just tried out the Yamaha S90ES and liked the sounds but found it to be just a bit too much for regular gigs. I also tried the Yamaha S08, this was nice as well. I am just wondering if anyone can suggest some others I should try before deciding.....thanks

www.dandechellis.com

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." A. Einstein

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Take a good look at the Kurzweil PC1SE (76 note weighted), along with other Kurzweil product variants (88 note variants available). I'm in a very similar position and I reckon this KB, along with an Electro, is a pretty good combo. I'm having a look at one in the next few days - I'm no expert - but a little research has led me this way.

I just tried out the Yamaha S90ES and liked the sounds but found it to be just a bit too much for regular gigs. I also tried the Yamaha S08, this was nice as well. I am just wondering if anyone can suggest some others I should try before deciding.....thanks

A bit too much how? The Yamaha S90ES/Motif ES is a good workhorse for the kind of gigs you do. You can always cop a Motif 7 (Classic or ES) that will give you enough keys to get your piano on and a good feel for your synth work.

Otherwise, look at the Roland Juno-G as an option.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

You have a great rig already. I think 2 keyboards is the perfect gigging solution. If you want a 3rd keyboard, go for the Little Phatty or something like a Nord Lead or Dave Smith synth. If not a 3rd keyboard, your options would include rack mount units or replacing your P200 with something else like an S90ES or similar.

I wouldn't go for the S-08. I own it's 61-keys version, the S-03, and the sound is much, much worse than modern, more expensive, 'pro' synths. I compared it to Korg Triton's sound, and it's nowhere near it. So unless Yamaha has updated the S-08 recently (I doubt it), I'd go fo something different. Maybe a used market? You can find a great used synth for the price of S-08. Something like Roland Fantom, or Korg Triton (Korg's piano gets alot of criticism around here, but I think that if you're happy with S-08's piano, the Triton would do it too. Also, Triton can be expanded with additional piano sound).

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

I suppose its not that the S90ES is too much, its just strikes me as being better suited to studio work as opposed to performance. In the end, its the simplicity of the yamaha p200 and the Nord that I like, they are both easy to navigate on the fly in a performance. The S08 was like that as well, simple to navigate and a minimum of buttons and knobs. I am beginning to lean towards a Roland Juno or some sort of module.

The truth of the matter is that my p-200 needs to be repaired and I'm not sure how much it might cost, so i was beginning to consider a new piano board and thought I might as well get something with some synth capabilities. I guess I will make my final move after I get the estimate to bring the p-200 back to life. In the meantime I'll be lugging out a fender rhodes....my aching back :)

www.dandechellis.com

To have such a dilemma :thu: .

If your rig works for you with the P200, and it sounds good for what you do, just add a small third board for synth. You should be able to fake it with the Nord until the P200 is repaired. I've started lugging my R3 as a third board for some gigs... I don't mind it TOO much.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

Another S90ES vote. I use it live all the time and quite frankly, i don't understand your hesitation. I recently picked up an electro 61 and can't wait to use them both for the first time on New Year's Eve.

JP

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

I suppose its not that the S90ES is too much, its just strikes me as being better suited to studio work as opposed to performance.

Don't get overwhelmed by the interface on the S90ES. It is definitely a keyboard perfectly suited for live performance, and once you spend just a bit of time with it, it is VERY EASY to navigate through sounds and setups in a live situation. Oh yeah, it also sounds fantastic (both piano and synth sounds) and has the best keyboard action in its class (IMO). :thu:

Noah

I suppose its not that the S90ES is too much, its just strikes me as being better suited to studio work as opposed to performance.

Don't get overwhelmed by the interface on the S90ES. It is definitely a keyboard perfectly suited for live performance, and once you spend just a bit of time with it, it is VERY EASY to navigate through sounds and setups in a live situation. Oh yeah, it also sounds fantastic (both piano and synth sounds) and has the best keyboard action in its class (IMO). :thu:

Noah

I agree 100%. I am playing in an original band that is getting ready to play live and record all within the next 4-10 months. I will be in the market for a new keyboard and the S90ES is very high and might even be on the top of my list. I am waiting for the NAMM as well as the new Kurzweil PC3X before making a decision as these present possible other options. For your situation, I would really, really consider the S90ES as its a great board that I've seen and heard live. It sounds great and the keyboardists I've talked to who use one often swear by it.

Its not so much that I'm overwhelmed by the board, but the set-up I currently have is nice with the nord being able to rest directly on top of the yamaha p-200...i do a lot of two hand runs and its nice having them close...as well the built in speakers on the yamaha are really excellent for smaller rooms as well as monitors....

i dont know if I need to start a new thread, but if anyone might recommend a good module that would have all the extra bells and whistles of the S90ES I would appreciate it...something with great strings and pads as well as built in rhythm tracks etc...

www.dandechellis.com

funny, i just went out and played a motif and inquired about the module version....i think that coupled with my yamaha p-200 (as long as it doesn't cost me too much to have it repaired) and the nord 61 would be as good as i could get....

www.dandechellis.com

• 3 weeks later...

Someone earlier posted [the Yamaha S90ES] "has the best keyboard action in its class (IMO)."

the keybed seemed spongy to me (grand piano patch IS nice!). Maybe it just seems spongy to me because I use a Kawai MP9000 and a Korg-T1 (just feels more fluid and expressive to me)? I like the feel on the clavia nord stage 88! I guess you get what you pay for??

tripp323

Nord Electro, Kawai MP, Roland JX-305, Korg T1 & 707

Archived