Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PC3 Question

lowerhodes

Merry Christmas everybody! When Kurzweil says that it is using the same samples in the PC3 as in the older PC series but is using "new programs" what does that mean? If the selling point of the PC3 will be it'sequencer, arpeggiator, user interface, cosmetic appearance etc and is going to sound pretty much the same I may just get a PC1se. Would someone please enlighten me concerning "new programs"?
Fender Rhodes (x4) / Wurlitzer 200A / NE3 61 / Motif XS6 / Korg SV-1 73

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we'll simply have to hear it.

Frankly, I'm very happy with my PC2X. It will be interesting to do a side-be-side comparison of the two.

Don't buy the PC1se quite yet. There should be a 76-key model of the PC3.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

When Kurzweil says that it is using the same samples in the PC3 as in the older PC series but is using "new programs" what does that mean?

Kurzweil PC3 will have very powerful and advanced VAST synthesis engine with which it's possible to tweak the sound of samples in infinite ways. So with Kurzweil synths it's the programs that matter, and not the basic samples they are based upon.

You can check out some PC3 videos at MySpace. Watch, for example, the videos with EPs demos, they sound MUCH improved over PC2, and actually on the level with current top workstations, despite that they use the same old samples as in PC2.

The PC3 has oscillators from its unreleased VA1 synthesiser. It has updated V.A.S.T. - lots of new other things.

As for the "new PROGRAMs' old samples - The samples will be remapped and reworked for the new engine. So if there was a dodgy loop or obvious loop cross over, they will be addressed. Which is the concern of most from what I've been hearing.

There will be an obvious difference in sound quality against the PC1 & PC2 series.

As others have pointed out, if you can wait, do so. If you decide to go the PC1/PC2 route, you may pick one up cheap when the PC3 hits the streets.

That piano does indeed sound very good. While I heard some of the characteristic "Kurzweil sound" (especially in the mid-range), the piano sounded cleaner with more detail. I really wish she banged it once or twice, however, to hear more of the velocity layers and string resonance. Still waiting for the new KB-3 demos, which remain the "deal-breaker" for me.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

That piano does indeed sound very good. While I heard some of the characteristic "Kurzweil sound" (especially in the mid-range), the piano sounded cleaner with more detail. I really wish she banged it once or twice, however, to hear more of the velocity layers and string resonance. Still waiting for the new KB-3 demos, which remain the "deal-breaker" for me.

It does sound better I must admit (and I never liked the Kurz piano sound, harsh), although it's hard to tell over compressed video.

The deal breaker for me would be not only the piano but the rest of the bread & butter sounds. The PC2's Organ was fine, but the Rhodes, Wurly, CP80 & Clav never thrilled me.

Ohhh but those orchestral sounds did!!

I hope they can get the more important sounds right with the new line.

"THE PC3 WILL SOUND BETTER THAN THE K2600, the PC2, or anything else we've ever made."

yeah, as if he's going to say "The PC3 sounds crappy and has generally very weak sounds" ;)

btw ITGITC: those pictures make my fingers sweaty... this thing looks fönky

The Dromb Bopper

yeah, as if he's going to say "The PC3 sounds crappy and has generally very weak sounds" ;)

Very good point - there is a lot of hype surrounding this machine. I've been inundated with "should I sell my K26xx for a PC3?" questions. Answer to that is no.

The PC3 has 128 user memory locations.

No sample RAM....

It may be better in a lot of ways over the K2600, it isn't replacing the 26xx series. Anywho, just wait and see and make the call then.

For those wanting to hear what its all about -

We have compiled the available PC3 videos into one page :PC3 NEWS

I think we'll simply have to hear it.

Its certainly hard to judge a keyboard until you can play it, feel it and hear it for yourself. While the specs and preliminary stuff sounds good, you can't really judge it one way or the other until you play it.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

The PC3 has 128 user memory locations.

This is not true. There will be 1024 user memory locations. Please read all Dave Weisers posts :)

http://community.sonikmatter.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=37208&hl=1024%20user&st=120

6th post from top

But, there will be 128 locations for user created MIDI Setups. Thats more than enough for me :)

http://dev.kurzweil.lime-light.com/Product.php?product=37

Rhodes MarkI Stage, Nord Stage 2 73SW, Moog SUB37, Elektron Analog Keys

Man thanks for the additional Video Clip.

Did you guys peep the VA synth in the back at the end of the clip? HMMM Maybe it's not dead after all.

For those who do not have the manual, Here is a link it. CLICK HERE

MY Toys - Kurzweil PC1X, Roland A-90, Yamaha KX88, Yamaha CS1x, Novation 49SL MkII, Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2, JBL PRX615M

My Music Page

Hey, thanks a million for the Owners Manual. I've been looking daily at Kurz Music's website for download and it still isn't available.

Any chance for pipe organ samples to be played with this keyboard ?

Filling the piggy bank now while waiting for a couple of reviews !

"Musicians are magicians"...W.Carlos

Wow! That piano is outstanding!! It sounds close to the real thing to my ears. Kudos to Kurzweil, er.. Young Chang, er.. Hyundai.. uh.. you know what I mean. :D

I am going to make a prediction and I usually tend to shy away from doing this sort of thing. But barring any unforeseen complications with Kurzweil getting the PC3x to market (besides the delays it has already experienced) or any letdowns in one or more particular area of the sound banks whether Organ, Strings, Woodwinds, etc. and any unforeseen hardware issues like poor keybed action or under-powered or other processor/chip issues, etc., that Kurzweil will have a sure fire winner on their hands and the PC3x will be their biggest PC series seller ever - but only on the condition that they also produce it in a lighter 76 key version.

PS: Kurzweil should consider extending the time limit for the free VA-1 Synthesis Engine offer or else nobody will get it free due to the PC3x's late arrival. ;)

Also, I don't see how Kurzweil can justifiably call the PC3x a "full blown music production workstation" when it doesn't include a Sampler on board. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/fragend/confused-smiley-013.gif But all things considered I still give it a tentative big thumbs :thu:. And if the hype translates into reality then again kudos and well done Kurzweil! :cool:

Mike

I. Can't. Wait.

But, I have to. I should have my sample in imminently.

My problem is going to be deciding whether or not to sell my K2600AES (we only made 7 serial #'s that I know of) and keeping my rack, or keeping the AES, getting rid of the rack, and having yet one more keyboard to try to figure out where to stash. My office / studio / game room is cramped as it is!

ivorycj

Main stuff: Yamaha CP88 | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Kurzweil Forte 7 | 1898 Steinway I

Oh, good to know. I won't bother downloading that manual then as it could only confuse.

I was too lazy to login last night so I could post, but wanted to correct the "Sting" reference as it should've been Mark Knopfler.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Please quote the song title then. Maybe I misinterpreted which reference was being alluded to :-). I thought it was Dire Straits "Money for Nothing":

http://www.guntheranderson.com/v/data/moneyfor.htm

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

It is Dire Straits, but it was STING who sang it. And if we're REALLY going to get anal about it, it was Sting's melody (lifted from "Don't Stand So Close To Me").

If you gotta explain the joke, it aint funny.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

OK, I didn't know that part of it; I guess that's how they got around a lawsuit, by inviting him to sing that part of the song.

Archived