Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Merry Christmas and Who's working today?

Edgar Summers

I wanted to wish everyone here a Merry Christmas. I don't post a whole lot but i sure enjoy coming here when I get a chance. May all of you have good day. Peace on earth-all that stuff... ;)

Since I work in a hospital that of course never closes I wanted to share the pain with anyone else who got tagged to work today. Since i'm going on vacation in three days it's NOT that bad, but still-here I am. So perhaps we all can console each other a bit.

Hang in there all!

"Music should never be harmless."

Robbie Robertson

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm working too, but playing is not really working, is it? ;)

Load-in (in three hours) is another matter .....

My wife and daughter are with her parents this week, and I'm all alone with a bad cold, but my bandmates just dropped off a care package of roast lamb and potatoes, stuffed peppers, some chicken soup, and assorted cookies, so I'm doin' OK for now :)

Hope everybody is warm and safe today.

I'm working too, but playing is not really working, is it? ;)

Hope everybody is warm and safe today.

Not for me either. I played for church last night got to bed late but that's the fun part.

Feel better and have a great day.

"Music should never be harmless."

Robbie Robertson

Yup - I'm here finishing up on graves. Soon I'll pass out for a few hours before seeing a good friend of mine from college. Then I'll sleep some more before coming back to work. I talked to the family and they've pretty much gotten through all the presents they're going to open. But the best part that keeps me all cheery... I got a fruit basket from work. Only they sent it to my home last Friday. How long does warm fruit keep for?

Merry Christamas :sick:

I'm working at the hospital today also. It has not been a good holiday for a few familes. But, that is life. It makes me enjoy my health and being able to play even more. After tomorrow, I have 5 days off and a big New Years Eve gig. Looking foward to that! Merry Christmas to all.

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

3 Christmas Eve gigs, 2 Christmas gigs, all done now.

Some highlights:

1 - at 4 of the 5 masses we used my new Psalm 98 version, set to the Gesu Bambino melody. And used one of my Glorias at two of the masses. Various degrees of musical success, but it's always cool to hear a crowd of people singing your songs;

2 - had a pickup ensemble at one mass, including a flautist. I gave him a lead sheet for Patapan, and we sort of did a collaborative improv, trading twelves. He stuck to the melody, allowing me to vary the accompaniment behind him, then on my 12's I kind of went all kinds of crazy directions - favorite one was going to the flat-6 minor(Ebm), then returning via a German 6th on the Bb resolving to a second inversion D, then adding a 7 and returning to Gm in time for his twelve. I had never done anything like this improv before - REALLY lucky it came off so well;

3 - a chance to play some pipe organ at the Episcopal church - I'm always free to, but usually opt for the GEM piano instead. But Adeste Fideles really cries out for pipe organ. Used it for Silent Night too.

4 - also a chance to play some fake nylon guitar on the GEM. Maybe overdid it at one mass, but dang that's fun;

5 - gospel choir did the coolest version of Silent Night - the Temptations version. I look forward to it every year. A couple of excellent voices from our choir on that one, and the groove is just perfect.

Nice to be back at the day job today so I can relax, LOL.

Daf

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Archived