Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help a beginner keyboard player please

lukeswits

hi im just starting out and i have no clue where to start. i dont wanna get that into keyboard where ill be composing really complicated pieces. i wanna learn keyboard so i can play more simple riffs on the synthesizer to perform dance, electronica music. so what things should i start out on? chords? scales? can anyone please give me a list of things i should learn or any good free resources? thanks!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No matter what style of music you want to play the best place to begin is with basic theory, inclusive of scales, chords and techniques. It's highly recommended that you start off with a teacher, as they can show you the right fundamentals, and allow you to learn the theory more quickly.

Oh c'mon, he's not asking to learn jazz or classics or even pop.

Just find out where the arpeggiator button is on your synth and you're good to go.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Just find out where the arpeggiator button is on your synth and you're good to go.

:thu:

right, no sense to spend on teacher and sh*t unless your commitment is serious. Besides dance, electronica will be played for you by the keyboard, just mess around with buttons a little and you disco. If you want to do more though, try to play along with songs you like with one hand to practice your ears, because if no ears no sense to bother any farther.

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Seriously, most of us would suggest taking piano lessons and learning how read music and the basics of music theory. You will evolve into a much better player than if you just poke around using trial and error (which is mostly error).

But the most important thing is your level of commitment to learn music. Taking lessons and practicing takes time for you to develop, but the rewards are greater than if you just poke around for fun. Think about your level of commitment before you do anything.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Niacin and Delerium, I would agree that he doesn't need to spend the next 5 years learning from a teacher, but for most beginners a little direction from a teach would help, even if it is only 6 months. Can you learn without one, sure, but it's a hell of a lot easier with one, and you will pick up a lot more info. To get an arpeggiator to play some cool stuff you still need to know theory (unless you want to guess for hours on end). I'm gonna guess its easier for a teacher to tell you how to play a i-V/V--V7-VI-N6-V64-V7-i than it is to try and figure it out alone. Like I said can it be done, yep, but why if you really don't need to.

thanks for the responses so far! i was also wondering, is composing pieces similar to on a guitar? as in you take scales and you improvise based on a scale?

also, i know there are tones of scales, but which one are essential to learn? and can you tell me the first songs that you guys learned to play?

Luke, just as on the guitar, there are 12 different major scales. They start on these notes:

A

Bb

B

C

Db

D

Eb

E

F

Gb

G

Ab

And then they cycle starts again with the next A.

You should learn to play all of these scales, up and down. Some will be more difficult than others.

If you don't know where A is on the keyboard, look for a group of three black keys. There are two white keys sandwiched in between the three black keys. The left white key is G and the right white key is A. This is true for all groups of three black keys on the piano keyboard.

Here's a formula for "figuring out" a major scale. We'll start on a note and play successive keys to the right (i.e. as the pitch of each note becomes higher). But sometimes we'll skip over an adjacent key.

The formula is:

play the root (skip 1)

play the 2nd (skip 1)

play the 3rd

play the 4th (skip 1)

play the 5th (skip 1)

play the 6th (skip 1)

play the 7th

play the octave (then skip 1 if you're going to continue upward)

Here's an example in the key of A.

Play the note a A (locate it as described above). (root)

Skip the black key just to the right of A (Bb).

Play the white key to the right of A (B). (2nd)

Skip the white key to the right of B ©.

Play the black key to the right of C (C#). (3rd)

(no skip this time)

Play the white key to the right of C# (D). (4th)

Skip the black key to the right of D (D#/Eb).

Play the white key to the right of D (E). (5th)

Skip the white key to the right of E (F).

Play the black key to the right of F (F#). (6th)

Skip the white key to the right of F# (G).

Play the black key to the right of G (G#). (7th)

(no skip this time)

Play the white key to the right of G# (A). (root/octave)

This is a very important exercise that you should do NOW and plan to REPEAT many, many times for as long as you play the keyboard. It will seem confusing at first, but once you are able to recognize which notes belong to each scale (and therefore each key), the piano keyboard will make much more sense, and you'll be able to compose music on the keyboard more easily. Please try this and get back to us.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

:thu:

right, no sense to spend on teacher and sh*t unless your commitment is serious. Besides dance, electronica will be played for you by the keyboard, just mess around with buttons a little and you disco. If you want to do more though, try to play along with songs you like with one hand to practice your ears, because if no ears no sense to bother any farther.

+1

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Just learn the way I did. Randomly press notes over a series of years and figure out basic tunes. 10 years later, you can play something like this:

Well... I'm not entirely sure my method is the best. But I'd say I'm awwwright on piano now :P

Plays on a Nord Stage 76

Archived