Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Les Paul "Money" Bass

ABGBrian

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't tried one. Did like the SG reissue I played recently, though. And I've become quite a fan of the Epiphone set-neck basses. That seems to be a good construction method, as far as sustain is concerned; it seems to eliminate dead spots, or at least greatly reduce them, even on entry-level instruments. The Money Bass also appears to be set-neck, if you look at the natural finish ones.

Sorry I couldn't give more info. But I'd be interested!

As a recent convert to the lower frequencies, I'm curious:

Why isn't set-neck construction more common with basses?

It would seem to be a good compromise between neck-through and bolt-on.

Guessing it's because Fender has always dominated the bass market, and they don't do set necks. Bolt-on was established as the norm, then Alembic and the custom shops went neck-through and those remain "standards."

Set-neck has always been Gibson's baby. However, Gibson has been in and out of the bass market. They have made some well-loved instruments but they failed to keep them around long enough to become as legendary as a Precision or Jazz bass.

- Matt W.

I think Matt is right. For whatever reason, set-neck has been largely a "Gibson thing," and Gibson has never been the name in electric basses that it's been in electric guitars. (There are, I guess, reasons for this, but again, there are some really terrific Gibson basses. I mean, Danko without the Ripper--the very idea!!) I believe it's also a feature of Hofner basses, but Hofner has to be the ultimate "niche" market bass.

And yet, even from the cheapie set-necks I've tried, it's something I would like to see a lot more of.

Archived