Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Merry Christmas to me!

ZZ Thorn

Got some time off so I finally went thru my 800+ cd collection for scratches and missing cds. I need to reorganize as well, but one thing at a time.

I've got nearly 250 cds I'm going to send in for repairs, but I also bought nearly 50 cds to replace lost ones and round out my collection. Dig this list of stuff I got off Amazon:

The Gilded Palace of Sin/Burrito Deluxe - The Flying Burrito Brothers

Black Magic - Magic Sam

Cold Day in Hell - Otis Rush

Complete Live Recordings - Charlie Christian

Drinkin' TNT 'n' Smokin' Dynamite - Buddy Guy

Hem of His Garment: 23 Gospel Gems - Sam Cooke

Keep Movin on - Sam Cooke

My Cherie Amour - Stevie Wonder

Workin' with the Miles Davis Quintet - Miles Davis Quintet

After Hours - Charlie Christian

Big Swing Face - Buddy Rich

Signed, Sealed and Delivered - Stevie Wonder

1999 - Prince

Dirty Mind - Prince

The Complete Verve Master Takes - Charlie Parker

Night Beat - Sam Cooke

Buddy Guy & Junior Wells Play the Blues - Buddy Guy

Bird's Best Bop on Verve - Charlie Parker

Mothership 2CD/1DVD - Led Zeppelin

John Barleycorn Must Die - Traffic

Portrait of the Blues - Bobby "Blue" Bland

East Bay Grease - Tower of Power

Howlin Wolf: The Chess Box - Howlin' Wolf

Light Up the Night - The Brothers Johnson

Right on Time - The Brothers Johnson

The Chess Box - Willie Dixon

The Red Hot Ray Brown Trio - Ray Brown Trio

The Roar of '74 - Buddy Rich

Willie's Blues - Willie Dixon

One Night Stand: Sam Cooke Live at the Harlem Square Club, 1963 - Sam Cooke

The Black Saint & The Sinner Lady - Charles Mingus

Back Stabbers - The O'Jays

Best of The Complete Savoy & Dial Studio Recordings - Charlie Parker

Santana - Santana

Billie Holiday: The Complete Decca Recordings - Billie

All Your Love I Miss Loving: Live at The Wise Fools Pub Chicago [Live] - Otis Rush

Bird of Paradise - Charlie Parker

Dreamboat Annie - Heart

Band of Gypsys - Jimi Hendrix

Pithecanthropus Erectus - Charles Mingus

Summer Wind: Live at the Loa - Ray Brown Trio

At Ease with Coleman Hawkins - Coleman Hawkins

Steamin' With the Miles Davis Quintet - Miles Davis Quintet

Axis: Bold As Love - The Jimi Hendrix Experience

20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best of Bobby "Blue" Bland - Bobby "Blue" Bland

Walk On - Ray Brown Trio

Love Songs - Billie Holiday

Night Hawk - Coleman Hawkins with Eddie Davis

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You mentioned that you were sending 250 CDs in for repair. I had not heard that this service was available. Where do you send them?

For scratches, I usually use toothpaste and a soft cloth. Meguiars makes a plastic polish that works well also.

Rocky

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb, voting on what to eat for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb, contesting the vote."

Benjamin Franklin

I'm sending them to a place I've used with very good results twice before (if they give me a good rate on such a large order). Their website is rubberdisc.com and they're out of Colorado, as I recall.

They use sandpaper to buff out the scratches - at least the place I used before did, and they gave the same results - and they restore them to good as new.

They charge $2.75 apiece for up to 10 cds, which is nearly always much cheaper than buying a new cd. They do cds, laserdiscs - they might even do albums, I've never asked. I've been very happy with their work.

Mmmmmmm the mighty good ´ol Gary Thain.. isn´t it ? ;) I used to listen to the "Uriah Heep Live" as a kid (About 8 or 9 yeras old) and loved his playing... thought he was quite "intrincate" for the majority of hard rock bass players I had heard back then... (I mostly listened to either soul/funk, or Jazz... and on the Rock side, mostly Metal ... or prog symph/rock...)

Definitely a nice cd bunch, there. :D And by the way, I have had the best luck by buying Amazon´s secondhand. Sometimes I even get sealed CDs. Some stores put them at ultra low prices because the common people don´t buy them... then I come and get them for real cheap. :P

Brought to you by Juancarlin.

www.juancarlinmusic.com

http://www.youtube.com/JuanCarlinMusic

www.facebook.com/JuanCarlinMusic

Instagram: @JuanCarlinMusic

Can I come over and listen to your new cds with you?

Anytime, but then you have to give me a lesson!

I've used Amazon for several years with nothing but success. If it's on cd it's on Amazon.

Used is definitely the way to go. I get "Like New" or "Very Good" used cds almost every time and they're always in the advertised condition. Sometimes their prices are unbelieveable - some of these Charlie Parker cds were under a buck, so around $3 with shipping. Quite a bargain!

Mmmmmmm the mighty good ´ol Gary Thain.. isn´t it ? ;) I used to listen to the "Uriah Heep Live" as a kid (About 8 or 9 yeras old) and loved his playing... thought he was quite "intrincate" for the majority of hard rock bass players I had heard back then... (I mostly listened to either soul/funk, or Jazz... and on the Rock side, mostly Metal ... or prog symph/rock...)

Heep's had nothing but excellent bass players, and their music (even the '80s metal phase they went through) is a treat for us bass players. Paul Newton and Gary Thain added a serious touch of jazz to the band sound and yes, Gary was an intricate player. Then there was John Wetton and Trevor Bolder who added the most kick-ass melodic bass lines.

In the '80s you had Bob Daisley who has gone somewhat underrated in Heep circles but like I said, it was their metal phase. And now Trevor Bolder's back and playing more melodically than he ever did with David Bowie & The Spiders from Mars or his earlier Heep work. I left out Mark Clarke because his only recorded contribution is "The Wizard" where he also does lead vocals during the bridge.

For some awesome bass lines do check out either Live - January 1973 or Sea Of Light. These are my faves, bass-wise, along with Wonderworld

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Archived