Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Zub's got Gas

Zuben

I have a close friend that records with several Strats. One is a Prodigy. I have played it in the studio and live. I love it. It kick serious butt live.

I was just looking at used prices. Like new $200 - 350. I thought I was reading it wrong.

They are a strat with an extra pickup, upgraded hardware and with the major difference being one tone control, they are over $1000 less than a strat from the same year.

Doc, am I looking at a little known gem? I have a light green one on the way to my house.

Peace

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Fender Prodigy

Manufacturer Fender

Period 1991 1993

Construction

Body type Solid

Neck joint Bolt-on

Woods

Body Alder

Neck Maple

Fretboard Maple or Rosewood

Hardware

Bridge Synchronized Tremolo or Khaler Locking Tremolo

Pickup(s) 2 single-coils and 1 bridge position humbucker

Colors available

Black, White, Metallic Blue, Metallic Red

The Fender Prodigy is a discontinued model of electric guitar produced by Fender from 1991 to 1993. It is one of a few Fender's modified Stratocaster series introduced to compete with other superstrats produced by Ibanez, Jackson/Charvel, Carvin and Yamaha. Since the Prodigy series was discontinued after about two and half years of production without a clear reason, it is considered as one of Fender's rare models in the market nowadays.

The Prodigy series featured two single coil pickups and one humbucker at bridge position. The body shape was similar to that of Stratcaster however still had distinctive features, such as offset body, sharper body edges, and smaller headstock. Prodigy was relatively different from Fender HM Strat since it still followed Leo Fender's classic design with stratocasters floating tremolo system. Prodigy II was introduced in 1992 with Kahler locking tremolo & nut system instead.

I sent the red one back. It had neck damage. I haven't decided on the blue one but readingsoe of the write ups from when the were produces, they were pretty impressice. Very Small ! produced. I would think in a few years down the road they will be collectable but I am getting it to play. (Still looking for that special L6

I don't think the plug would be too much of a problem. Quality 90 deg angle plug

Peace

I have a close friend that records with several Strats. One is a Prodigy. I have played it in the studio and live. I love it. It kick serious butt live.

I was just looking at used prices. Like new $200 - 350. I thought I was reading it wrong.

They are a strat with an extra pickup, upgraded hardware and with the major difference being one tone control, they are over $1000 less than a strat from the same year.

Doc, am I looking at a little known gem? I have a light green one on the way to my house.

Peace

As far as I can tell after looking them up (I'd never heard of a Strat Prodigy before), they are one of many Strat models that Fender put out in that era, in an attempt to compete with Charvel/Jackson/Ibanez "Strats"....that explains the humbucker in the bridge, and the models with the Floyd Rose.

They are not worth much (current book says $425 to $625), and don't appear to have any qualities that would make them collectable.

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Don,

I didn't buy either one. Nothing to do with playability. I like the necks, the extra kick from the pickups and actually, the single tone. I agree with Lister on the out put jack but that can be fixed.

For the price, it is a great deal. I am keeping my eye out and will probably pick one up in the next few months.

3 Strats and a SG would be just about perfect for me on the road. I have really become attached to that SG I bought for an obscene low price. Everytime I wrap my hands around the neck, I remember why I had such a love affair with them when I was a kid.

The funny thing is I just sold 8 guitars in the last year and 1/2. They weren't guitars I really needed, I just was hanging on to them.

Peace

Archived