Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Witkowski guitars

skipclone 1

Except wood is absolutely not metal. Sculpting wood into an instrument can't be quantified accurately because each piece of wood is unique. No two Les Paul's are exactly alike because there isn't a CNC machine alive that is sophisticated enough to know why a piece of wood (solidbody or otherwise) needs a little shaved in one place and not another to be right.

If you want to build mediocre instruments or deny the wood has anything to do with the sound then a CNC machine cutting exactly the same thing every time will do nicely. Not so for a finely crafted instrument.

If that's the case Lee I'm surprised you haven't begun playing solid body instruments made from extremely lightweight materials with poor resonance qualities. If the body doesn't matter in a solid body instrument than the strongest, light weight, cheap material should be perfect, right? ;):D

So a finely crafted instrument(solid body electric) starts off as a slab of wood and the luthier decides the shape of the guitar by strategically removing pieces of wood that enhance the tone of that particular piece of wood? :rolleyes: That explains why there are so many fugly guitars out there. Must be how Gibson came up with the Firebird. ;):D

I'm all for handbuilt guitars, and having a craftsman build you something using only the finest materials, and taking the time to do the job right. But craftsmen use tools, and a CNC machine is just a tool. An acurate tool. A great guitar (electric) is a guitar that is designed well, and built with good materials, skill and attention to detail.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They take a rubber mallet and hit the body, a la testing your reflexes... except they're listening for the resonance.

Is it solid aluminum, Lee? I've played bored out aluminum body guitars that were mostly air, and light as a feather. But I assumed that was solid.

Maybe they don't do that anymore, but I was told about it when I was in customer service. That was 2001.

You can say what you like about the fine tolerances and repeatablity of CNC machines, but Gibson poured a lot of money into that technology and still feels a person's hands connected to their ears, eyes and brain are worth using for the fine finish work for necks, bodies and other pieces.

Now why do you suppose a guy as pushy about new technology as Henry Jusckiewicz is would increase his labor costs if he didn't have to?

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

i do understand why CNC is highly regarded by Dr. Ellwood and others. there is nothing wrong with each way of building. it really does depend on the given situation and the persons involved.

if i had my choice between the PRS sc245 and Gibson custom shop 59 LP. i would have to say i would choose the 3500 dollar cheaper guitar..the PRS. it is perfect.

They take a rubber mallet and hit the body, a la testing your reflexes... except they're listening for the resonance.

Is it solid aluminum, Lee? I've played bored out aluminum body guitars that were mostly air, and light as a feather. But I assumed that was solid.

Maybe they don't do that anymore, but I was told about it when I was in customer service. That was 2001.

You can say what you like about the fine tolerances and repeatablity of CNC machines, but Gibson poured a lot of money into that technology and still feels a person's hands connected to their ears, eyes and brain are worth using for the fine finish work for necks, bodies and other pieces.

Now why do you suppose a guy as pushy about new technology as Henry Jusckiewicz is would increase his labor costs if he didn't have to?

Don't know NEIL but I can ask Henry and get back to you. CNC cut necks are near net cut to within .005 ins. of complete net, light sanding and spotting are all that are necessary before the first application of sanding sealer is put on. The aluminum Strat has cavities but the are not machined in, the are built into the master pattern and are cast in. Take a look at my previous posts NEIL, no where did I say sanding operations where to be handled by CNC! what I said was CNC net cut.

"They take a rubber mallet and hit the body, a la testing your reflexes... except they're listening for the resonance"

Yes NEIL I know HOW they tap test! what I'm asking is HOW on a SOLID BODY do they alter, modify, change the tone AFTER they have tap tested it!! I say they don't do anything on a solid body at all, they pick a good tone wood in the first place and they are DONE!!! not so on a acoustic! we are only talking about a solid body!

Unless they are cutting out chambers in the body, I don't see how they could be tap tuning Les Pauls. A les Paul is a big thick piece of wood, you would have to remove a pretty significant amount of wood to make an audible difference, and that decision would have to made before the maple cap was glued on. Just because I don't see how it could be done, doesn't mean I'm not wrong. If I am wrong, I'd really like to know how they do it.

I think PRS is a good example of a company that uses CNC machines and maintains strict quality controll. I have never picked up a PRS that was a lemon. I'm sure they are out there, but I have never come accross one. Their build quality easily rivals Gibson, and their consistency surpasses them IMNSHO. This is not a slam on Gibsons, just a discusion on technology.

Zan, an SC245 holds the #1 position on my extensive gas list. I don't know when I'm going to get one, but I am going to get one.

Archived