Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Using S90ES ot control Electro 61 live

jimmymio

I've had this electro for awhile but haven't gigged with it yet, instead relying solely on my S90ES. I figure New Year's Eve to be a good time to give the electro a spin.

I'd like to midi the 2 together so that I can play the electro's eps from the S90ES. And I'd also like to be able to play one hand on each and have them sound independently. Is there some way to do this without using volume controls or changing midi channels between songs?

I thought I might change the electro midi channel to 2 (or something other than 1) and then set up a master program in the S90ES that has local off, or no output, and transmits midi on Channel 2.

Can you set the electro's midi ch globally? Can you set a midi transmit ch on the S90ES for individual programs?

Am I making any sense?

Thanks,

JP

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a few posts in the archives that explain what I've done for my S90 + Electro rig and everything you want to do is possible and more. I'll try to find my prior posts, if I can get the search feature to work.

You want to use Master mode as a way to point to your S90ES sounds and whatever you need from the Electro. No need to switch channels on the Electro - that can all be done from the ES Master mode.

Here's an idea of just some of the things one can do with an S90 and Electro rig:

I'm using an Electro 61 with a Yamaha S90. I have the S90 MIDI'd to the Electro and have written several "Master" patches that tell the S90 to be the lower manual of the organ or to control the EP and clav sounds. What's extra cool is the 4 sliders on the S90 that can be assigned to a variety of MIDI CC numbers. So I have one patch that does lower manual of the organ with the 4 sliders doing the following:

Slider 1: Volume of Electro

Slider 2: Electro Leslie fast/slow

Slider 3: Electro chorus/vibrato on/off (lower manual)

Slider 4: 1' drawbar control (lower manual)

This makes a fun way to interact with the lower manual sounds and have some controls right there on the S90 in easy reach. I also set up another patch that has each slider assigned to a drawbar on the lower manual of the organ. So I have an Electro organ preset with 808000000 on the lower manual and have the 4 S90 sliders set up to control the upper 4 drawbars so I can do swells in real time on the lower manual and also mess with the upper manual drawbar settings directly on the Electro (or via MIDI Drawbars). It is a cool way to have real time control of both manuals, to some extent. Fun and musical!

I have a bunch of Master setups in which the Electro sounds are layered with S90 sounds (e.g. S90 piano w/Electro CP80 sound) or I have the Electro sound split on one side with an S90 synth or strings on the other side. I've found the S90 Master feature to be extremely flexible. It takes some time to figure out everything, but once you have several set up, you can simply use them as templates for other Master setups by tweaking the zones, patch numbers, etc.

I use my S90 Master to send all my patch changes by song, so the Electro is right where it needs to be without fumbling through patch changes in between and during songs.

Hope this helps a bit!

Thanks Eric! Looks like I'll have even more control than I need. Time to dig a little deeper into the "Master" section of the manual.

JP

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

Important to note, more for those reading this thread then for Jimmy, but the Electro is monotimbral, so you can't play an EP and the organ voices at the same time... there's nothing to indicate this is what you're hoping to do, but I thought I'd throw this into the mix. :)

Otherwise, Eric's absolutely right about the power of Master Mode on the Yamaha series... :thu:

Archived